Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #301  

Here's another interesting thread.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105185
Old 02-23-2007, 12:14 AM   #302  

S/C/G: Size 24/Size 20/Size 8

Height: 5'7"

Obie, don't let it get to you. You are doing great! We are all so proud of you.

I guess I'm another repressed whack-a-mole because I saw those threads too and didn't post for the same reason the rest of you didn't.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:12 AM   #303  
Intuituve Eater

S/C/G: 378/378/320

Height: 5'7

I actually don't have a big problem with calorie counting. I do it unofficially to avoid my muffin issue. I just hate the idea of being locked in and all the calculation. I kinda just wanna cook the food and eat it...I'm so lazy....blah.

Also I'm over the other people losing more weight than me thing...why you ask because tomorrow i am going to eat a 500 calorie sandwich from au bon pain. It has carbs and i am going to have no green vegetables and maybe...I will walk really slow while I do it ....LOL

All of that to say...I like being able to eat something with a carbs in it and and vegetables (or anything else) I want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Old 02-23-2007, 10:55 AM   #304  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Hello all!

I'm poking my nose in here!

I've been calorie counting for AGES and it's not really working particularly well... And I've been thinking that perhaps intuitive eating is the way out of the head-banging of fitday. I sometimes feel like I can't stray too far from my computer desk and eat like a "normal" person without getting HUGE and ginormous!

Anyways, I was out at the weekend and we went out for dinner (which we usually do at the weekends) and I thought that I'd have a nice healthy main, and a dessert if I wanted it and I managed to go the whole afternoon (6 hours or so) without even wanting food. Yes wanting it in the sense of, "Oooh look there's a fudge shop." But then stopping and thinking, "But hang on a minute, I'm still full from lunch and I'm going to feel awful if I eat fudge!".

Anyway, so I thought I'd just say hello and I might pop in from time to time. I'm reading the "interesting thread" you guys pointed out.

I think I might be onto a winner here!

Oh and a question - what did you do before IE? Were you calorie counters or is this what you've done straight from the beginning as it were?

Today I'm eating when I'm hungry and just writing down what I eat, so that tomorrow I might tally it up in fitday, or I might not, depending on how bored I am!

Oh and how often did you weigh in the early days? I'm quite worried that this might go wrong, but I suppose gaining a couple of pounds over a week or so is "damage" that can be reversed dont you think?

I'm sure I'll have more questions soon enough!

Have a lovely weekend girls, and I'll pop in again maybe tomorrow or Monday and tell you how HUNGRY I am
Old 02-23-2007, 12:03 PM   #305  
Intuituve Eater

at work can't talk, but nice post about not following a diet plan. Haven't posted yet.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=105399

-Obie
Old 02-23-2007, 03:00 PM   #306  
breakfast rebel

Height: 5' 4.5"

Hi 2frustrated! I am not a good one to answer your questions but I wanted to say Hi! And yes, I have done my share of calorie counting. I still think FitDay is kind of fun.
Speaking of FitDay (I have the kind that is installed in my computer, not the online kind - I am not sure how much of a difference there is) I feel vindicated in my personal food style! One reason I don't like "diet plans" that give you a menu is that I always think the menu sucks. (at least most of what I've seen in the USA - boring american food.) So I entered some of my favorite recipes in FitDay (I like how it has that feature.) Most of my favorite recipes have about 20 ingredients in them and I find them so much better than the 3-blobs-on-a-plate thing. So just for amusement I decided to compare the nutritionals between a serving of my mirliton/shrimp casserole (a New Orleans style dish that you will not find in any lowfat, low carb, weight watchers etc. cookbook) and a typical "diet" dinner. For the typical diet dinner, I entered a skinless chicken breast, a serving of green beans, and a broiled white potato. (YUCK.) Then when I compared the %DV charts, wow, my casserole had lots more nutrients than the boring plate! Then I compared some more of my favorite recipes - same thing - (I feel so puffed up with pride now.)

So I think all those 20-or-so ingredients in my recipes all add up to give more vitamins and minerals than the boring 3 ingredient meals. Oh - yes I checked calories too and my recipes are close to the boring plate's calories. Next- I'm going to compare typical diet breakfasts to mine. What fun!
Old 02-23-2007, 03:05 PM   #307  
Intuituve Eater

I am more into curries and spices, but have been intimidated by the 20 ingredient meals. Spiny where do you get your recipes from? I made a nice post of jambalya and it was good.
Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 PM   #308  
breakfast rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obsidianbbw View Post
I am more into curries and spices, but have been intimidated by the 20 ingredient meals. Spiny where do you get your recipes from? I made a nice post of jambalya and it was good.
Obi -I love cookbooks and I have quite a collection. I can read a cookbook the way people read a novel, page by page. I also get a lot of recipes online. I just discovered www.emerils.com -- type in a food in the recipe search (suggestion: try eggplant) and see the buttload of recipes that come up! Also, by having read so many and cooked so many recipes I know enough to invent my own. I love curries and spices too. I began rebelling against my mother's pork-chop-and-boiled-potato repertoire when I was about 12 and never looked back. I never want to eat like that again.
I must also qualify when I said in my previous post that the calories were about the same between my meals and the "diet" meal: that is with a small portion of my meal. Usually if a recipe says it makes 4 servings, for me it makes about 6. When I eat what I like, I don't feel the need to have so much of it. It seems like a better alternative to eating a bunch of stuff I don't like, and having "snacks" all the time, like a lot of diets advocate, having a 100 calorie "snack" a couple of times a day. I don't like the snack suggestions and I don't like to go around eating all the time. I'd rather just have some shrimp creole and be done for the rest of the day.
And I don't feel threatened by the fear of having my metabolism slow down. I'd rather have a slow metabolism than go around having to eat little bits of stuff I don't like all day.
Oh - but that is not what you asked; yes, I have a lot of cookbooks
Old 02-23-2007, 04:54 PM   #309  

Obi, I posted on that thread that you mentioned. I would hope some of them would come over to IE and post. The flu is going around here with all that coughing. No fun. Plus we are supposed to get a blizzard. The wood furnace is keeping us nice and warm!
Old 02-23-2007, 05:54 PM   #310  
Intuituve Eater

Talking

Carol I posted the link the our thread. I am thinking it is time for an IE #4 for though.

Spiny there is another woman in the office who is doing weight watchers and knows I am working on losing weight. last week she offered me one of the 100 calorie back and I said no thank you and she said, but it is only 100 calories and I said ok...and I don't really want it but thank you. I told her I would rather have an whole food or something else. I am also not a big snack food person, chips and cookies and stuff don't really tempt me...lasagna is a whole other deal. LOL

I made some collard greens and spinach with lots of garlic, onions and chicken. (tastes better than it sounds) and ate that some days with sweet potatoes and others with couscous and lasted me all week. Something that never would have happened pre-IE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinymouse View Post
Usually if a recipe says it makes 4 servings, for me it makes about 6. When I eat what I like, I don't feel the need to have so much of it. It seems like a better alternative to eating a bunch of stuff I don't like, and having "snacks" all the time, like a lot of diets advocate, having a 100 calorie "snack" a couple of times a day. I don't like the snack suggestions and I don't like to go around eating all the time. I'd rather just have some shrimp creole and be done for the rest of the day.
And I don't feel threatened by the fear of having my metabolism slow down. I'd rather have a slow metabolism than go around having to eat little bits of stuff I don't like all day.
Oh - but that is not what you asked; yes, I have a lot of cookbooks
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolr3639 View Post
Obi, I posted on that thread that you mentioned. I would hope some of them would come over to IE and post. The flu is going around here with all that coughing. No fun. Plus we are supposed to get a blizzard. The wood furnace is keeping us nice and warm!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:38 PM   #311  
breakfast rebel

Yes - snacks, yuck. I made a big mistake once (I am embarrassed to admit this to this group) by signing up for one of those plans where you get your meals delivered. I got suckered into it by good advertising. It is so not like me to do that. I cancelled after one week. The food was nasty, and the company made a lot of assumptions, like that I wanted to eat breakfast food for breakfast, and that I liked "snacks." I think I still have a probably moldy Kudos bar lying around somewhere.

Carol and Beth and anyone else out there in blizzardville-stay warm and safe!
Old 02-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #312  

Jo, Could you give us a recipe for mirliton/shrimp casserole? And Obi, I love spinach. I make a spinach pie that I learned from some Italians. I'll have to look up some other recipes because that sounds good with garlic, onions and chicken.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:54 PM   #313  

Obi, You can start #4 anytime. Just let us know how to get there. ha!
Old 02-23-2007, 07:00 PM   #314  

Something kind of wierd happened. I had the IE thread under my signature but when I clicked on it it went to some wierd place. I know it worked awhile back cause I tried it. I took it out now. Thanks, Obi, for posting the right thread on that post you mentioned.
Old 02-23-2007, 07:15 PM   #315  
breakfast rebel

Carol, my recipe is very similar to this one:
http://www.emerils.com/recipes/by_na...th_shrimp.html
and hey, way less than 20 ingredients:
what's different, besides the fact that I make more of it: I don't scoop out the pulp and stuff the mixture back in the shells, I just mush everything together. I usually add some creole seasoning instead of the salt (there's salt in creole seasoning) I bake it in a casserole dish with extra parmesan or some other kind of cheese on top of it. This recipe makes a liar out of me in my post when I said that I get more servings out of a recipe than the recipe says. I would not get 6 servings out of this recipe, more like 3, but that is because for me this is a complete meal; he must be using it as a side dish.
Closed Thread