What is your favorite "diet" food, that you couldn't do without?

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Just wondering if any of you folks have a favorite food that is healthy and has helped you in your weightloss effort.

I for one am going through a lot of cauliflower. I love it, love it, love it.
    1/2 cup cooked has 14 little calories, no fat, 1 g. sugar, 1 g. fiber, 1 g. protein and it's very high in vitamin C. And it is unbelievably filling. You will feel stuffed after you eat it. I cook it in a little water to which I add a little bit of powdered consomme. You can eat a huge amount of it without any guilt. And I for one think it's yummy.
  • Chicken broth/stock, 99% fat free and low sodium. I use it to flavor EVERYTHING - all my veggies get cooked in stock, I make dressings/sauces with stock, I even make gravies with few calories and no fat with stock. I steam veggies in stock to give extra flavor, I make couscous and rice with stock for extra flavor, and I use boxed stock to make low calorie soups like my leek/butternut squash soup. I even use stock to make a low cal "Cream" sauce. I panic whenever I run out!
  • Quote: Just wondering if any of you folks have a favorite food that is healthy and has helped you in your weightloss effort.

I for one am going through a lot of cauliflower. I love it, love it, love it.
    1/2 cup cooked has 14 little calories, no fat, 1 g. sugar, 1 g. fiber, 1 g. protein and it's very high in vitamin C. And it is unbelievably filling. You will feel stuffed after you eat it. I cook it in a little water to which I add a little bit of powdered consomme. You can eat a huge amount of it without any guilt. And I for one think it's yummy.
    La Tortillas - 50 calories a pop. I use them for everything I would normally use bread for! So easy to toss scads of veggies, some chicken and red pepper sauce in one of those and have a fast quick and healthy meal!

Spices - My spice cabinet and fresh herbs has saved me more times than I can say. I think those of us that are on a weight loss plan really need well seasoned foods because who wants to eat boring bland food on a diet? Not me!

Veggies - 'nuff said. All of them are fabulous. I am eating a lot of broccoli slaw myself these days. It makes a great filler in all sorts of dishes
  • Chicken drumsticks: two=154 calories/5g of fat, easy on the budget
    Broccoli stir fry frozen veggies
  • I also use the consomme but the one I use is powdered, I put it in the cauliflower and tons of other things too.

Also I haven't seen La Tortillas, every tortilla I pick up has 170 calories - 50 is fantastic, maybe it's a California brand.
  • Quote: I also use the consomme but the one I use is powdered, I put it in the cauliflower and tons of other things too.

Also I haven't seen La Tortillas, every tortilla I pick up has 170 calories - 50 is fantastic, maybe it's a California brand.

here is a link to their website. They have a store locator http://www.latortillafactory.com/ They were originally marketed to the "Low carb" market, but I don't low carb and like them anyway!
  • I am LOVING speghetti squash, 35 cals compared to 200 for a replacement of pasta.

I also like egg substitute...cuts the cals in half.

Low fat butter saves me every morning with my breakfast

Whipped cream cheese...all the flavor but less cals than "Light".

Light fruit juices save my bkf as well.
  • Low fat cottage cheese. Chock full of protein and sooo versatile.
  • apples apples apples!!
    when i need a pick me up, i eat one. i eat one BEFORE i eat my main meals so it helps me eat less... plus they are sweet, crunchy, and taste wonderful all year long!!
  • Carrots, they fill me up.

Today I found unsweetened almond milk! It is only 40 calories for 8 oz. I had been using unsweetened soy milk but I heard soy can interfere with thyroid functions so I have cut back on soy milk.
  • Delux stir fry veggies. I can never decide on just one veggie for dinner so I tend to eat alot of the stir fry veggies. I make a foil pouch and toss them on the grill. YUM YUM.
  • Apples. Yogurt. Cottage cheese. Kashi Cereal. Veggies (all kind)
  • Linda thanks so much for the link to the tortilla chips it was helpful and I'm gonna try and track them down.

And I also am loving the spaghetti squash. But I despise cottage cheese, if it were the only healthy food around or gosh I don't even wanna go there.
  • Fed? have you tried whizzing it with sugar free jello powder. Yum, like dessert. A lot of folks find it's the clumpy texture that they dislike.
  • Celery with low fat peanutbutter (not the best choice but could be a lot worse), green peppers, and chicken soup (homemade with the 99% fat free broth)