What is your favorite "diet" food, that you couldn't do without?

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Cilantro and chile peppers
  • Kraft Carb Well Ranch Salad dressing (0 carbs) and Dannon Light & Fit Carb & Sugar Control yogurt
  • Gala apples! I'm obsessed with them. I eat at least two a day, and I notice that if they are at room temperature they are SO sweet. I seriously feel like I'm eating candy.
  • Splenda. As you might tell by looking at my username, I like tea. I like hot, iced, herbal, black, green, flavored, anything really other than powered. I literally drink a couple gallons or more of tea in one form or another a week.

And I used to drink it all with sugar. Being able to switch to a non-calorie sweetner has made it possible for me to lose weight. No way I would be doing this without it.
  • I know it's not very exciting but lettuce is my best friend. One cup has only 5 to 10 calories. I eat a big salad with 1/2 serving of low cal dressing with dinner almost every night. It really helps me feel satisfied with the smaller portions I am eating for dinner.

Also, tomatoes, cucumbers, raspberries, basil, and balsamic vinegar. I eat this with my lunch almost every day. I actually eat it with a spoon so I get every last drop of balsamic vinegar. Sadly, though, this is probably the last week for it because raspberry season is just about over and tomatoes aren't going to last much longer either. I really don't know what I am going to eat over the winter!
  • Tealeaf, that's a lot of tea, you must be thrilled that you found Splenda.

Balsamic vinegar is great, no calories. Bluetoblue - try my favorite cauliflower
  • Salad. I could eat salad even when I am not on a diet.
  • How could I have forgotten - it's not exactly a food per se, but I never would have been able to change my eating habits without - Pam cooking spray.
    I practically use a can every week. I use it to broil tomatos, saute onions, stir frys, grilled chicken cutelets and on and on and on. I haven't used oil in almost 10 weeks now. Yay!

And lemons, I squeeze some over my salad, no more dressing for me.
  • "Fed"up, ya, I am. I dunno where this tea obsession came from, but I do know that I've had it since I was a little girl. So yes, glad when I found Splenda. Also pretty glad when I started hearing that tea actually might have things in it that are good for you. But that was just dumb luck. Even if it were just slightly less toxic than vodka, I would be drinking it.

About the Pam though... you might want to be careful with it. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great product and use it myself frequently. But it is pretty much 100% oil. Looking at my can of Schucks Butter Flavored Cooking Spray, a somewhat cheaper knock off of Pam, but pretty much the same thing I believe, it does list 0 calories per serving, which is great! But it also says that a serving is 1/3 of a second spray, or .25 grams. My Pam sized can claims it has 557 servings!

I know I use much more than 1 servings worth when I do use it. And I do think it is much better than using Crisco or real butter to cook things. It lays the oil down much more evenly and thinly than other forms of fat. But if you are using a six ounce can a week, well, then, you are probably eating an equivelent to about 6 ounces of fat a week (maybe less, I'm sure some of it stays in the pan). Probably much less than if you were cooking with conventional fats, so still a good thing to do. But don't let the lable mislead to think that it really does have no calories.
  • Low Carb wheat tortillas, string cheese, lettuce, cucumbers, bell peppers, squash and brocolli, plus tuna and chicken are my everyday staples that I love.
  • Tealeaf: Yes, you're probably right about the cooking spray and I have cut it down it recent weeks, also because I am always wondering about all the chemicals and stuff in it. But it has been helpful to me and I am losing weight. They have an 800 number on the can and I'm gonna call it tomorrow and see what the company says about the true calorie counts. I mean come on 1/3 of a spray?

I also wanted to tell you that my husband and my kids drink a lot of tea. Especailly since my husband hasn't been feelilng well of late. He buys all of these loose teas, rosehips, peppermint, chamomille and I can't think of any others and he mixes them all together, I think he enjoys making his own concotions as much as he likes drinking it. But of course he doesn't use splenda, he likes it with sugar and honey. Oh well.
  • Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches & Weight Watchers Cookies & Cream ice cream bars...having these as rewards helps me make better choices during the day

Shirataki noodles - Once in a while, I have to have fettucini Alfredo or baked ziti and the shiratakis are a wonderful subsititute. The downside with these is that they are difficult to find & they have a pretty short shelf life

Laughing Cow low cal cheese - God bless the French. I may not dig them politically but they turned out an awesome product in this cheese.
  • Porridge made with some chopped apple (apple is another one I couldn't live without) and cinnamon. Perfect way to start the day.

Wholewheat tortillas. Oh thank the gods that my grocery store finally started stocking them! I love fajitas made with chicken breasts, pepper strips, onions and salsa.

Brown rice and whoewheat pasta shapes. Again, my grocery only just branched out. Used to be I could only get wholewheat spaghetti and now they have gotten crazy by adding penne and fusilli.

Bottled roasted red peppers with some feta sprinkled on them.

Skim milk. I barely eat any dairy at all as I am lactose intolerant but I prefer porridge made with milk and I do have a splodge in my tea. I like to know I'm not wasting too many calories on something I don't even like very much!

Cannelini beans, kidney beans and chickpeas, all of which I find a way to add to alot of dishes.

Fresh leafy spinach. I need the iron as I'm anemic and the fiber because...well...

Olive oil.

Options hot chocolate, only 40 cals per mug and the Belgian chocolate flavor satisfies my sweet tooth.

And many, many others I read on this list! But the ones I listed above jumped out at me.
  • I thank goodness for peanut butter! I limit how much of it I eat at once (usually 1 tbsp), but it really curbs my cravings for rich/sweet foods!

My new favorite "meal" is whole grain pita, toasted, then add 1 tbsp pb, cinnamon, and about 1/2 sm banana!
  • A staple of my diet is green tea with Splenda. I drink about a gallon of it daily.