300+ And Ready To Try Again #1051

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to

• We are a group of individuals who weigh or have weighed 300+, or near there. This group was formed to provide a place for others like us to find support and hope. We are aware of the distinct problems that come with weighing over 300 lbs.

We want to invite everyone to join us in our journey.
    We share laughter and tears .
    We share what works for us and what doesn't.
    We often use a "Topic of the Day" for discussion.

Motivational Monday
    Tuesday Tips
    Wednesday Wish List .. and What you are doing to obtain it.
    Thankful Thursday
    FUN Friday ... don't wait until you lose your weight.
    Sit-up Saturdays - any physical activity
    Share your Success Sunday

These are not required topics ...just ideas to share. We often find them very helpful. We also share heartaches and fears ... joys and celebrations.

We have several extra threads going on simutaneously such as Monthly Challenges, Weekly Weigh-ins, Recipes, Bios, and more. Please feel free to check them all out.

We have found this thread to be more than just a support group...
    we have found it to become a home. We invite you to join us.

WELCOME!

I know you'll all agree that we are really thankful for the free services here at 3FC. The sisters offer all of this support and information with no charges to us. There are a couple of ways though that we can help out.

If you are thinking about buying anything at Amazon, why not help out 3FC at the same time? You can do this by clicking on the button for the Amazon "store" in the upper right hand corner of the screen on the PURPLE tool bar. A portion of your purchase price will be given to 3FC by Amazon. It doesn't increase your price at all, but it does help out 3FC. You can use any of the Amazon.com links that you see on the site in order to help contribute to the site.

Also, BTW, in case you didn't know it, you can view the message boards "ad free" for a minimal charge. I think it's like $15 for 6 months. A very small investment to be rid of the annoying ads and make your pages load quicker.

There have been some concerns expressed by the powers that be about copyright infringement. So please, if you are directly quoting someone else or printing an article in whole or in part, please give credit where credit is due!!!!
  • Got in some walking today! I'm still hoping to get strength training in...3" off my calves and I'm sooooo buying my goal boots! What's the best things to do (without equipment) to lose inches off that hard to trim area - walking, dancing, calf raises? What else? Thx in advance! Well I'm off to add 42 minutes for my day so far. Later chickies - stay OP!

Melissa

Edited to add: I decided to use a recent picture as my avatar! It was taken on Hallowe'en - AFTER I had taken off my Elvira wig!
  • Sandy I'm sorry things have been tough and the restaurant!!!! I think I would have walked out!! I too would have thought it was to do with being fat, getting bad service. I know how upsetting having a bad time can be when you rarely get to go out, when visiting my parents we went for an Italian meal. (mum & dad babysat) I fell down a step which wasn't marked and as it was all wooden parquet flooring, I didn't see it. I lay there gasping for a minute or two (I'd recently injured my ankle and was scared to get up in vase it was broken) a woman on a table close by came to help me, (she was big too & with a hen party!!) no member of staff seemed the least bit bothered!!!! I felt so stupid and the next day my knees were purple all over and very sore!! Still, as we lose weight we can laugh, or at least dismiss these horrible incidents.xxxxx
    Jilly, I forgot to say how sorry I am about your crash, but how glad that you are not hurt and the car is getting fixed. How can someone who can't speak English get a license? Surely the tester has to ask questions to the person taking the test? Anyway, be careful & enjoy your time at home, don't get distracted by dusting or laundry, lol. xxxx
    Ammi well I watched Vincent then showered, got to sleep fine but woke up at 4am and couldn't get to sleep again, I have such puffy, baggy eyes this morning! I look like Robert Mitchum!!!lol xxxx
    Elmay, WELCOME BACK!!! I remember what a demon you were at the gym, you got two or three times the exercise minutes everyone else did!! Hope you are enjoying work and feel free to post pics of your travels with work.xxxx
    I realy can't remember what else, WELCOME to the new ladies, I read, then forgot who said what so forgive my manky memory,lol.
    About hands looking old, I am the oldest of three girls and my middle sis said she had been using anti-ageing handcream and I ought to try it!!! I said most people think I'm several years younger than my forty-one years!
    Now if they saw my naked body they would think I was SEVENTY or something!!!!!lol. Shame they don't do a TOTALLY FIRMING body lotion which SHRINKS saggy skin!!
    xxsharon
  • I did my strength training - woo hoo! 19 minutes worth - covered all upper body and threw in calf raises, too.

Melissa
  • Did my morning workout--that's the good.

Not getting my car fixed yet--that's the bad.

So I went to the collision center with the intent of dropping off my car and getting it fixed tomorrow. I filled out some forms and spoke with the woman who represents my insurance company there. She said I would have to pay my $1000 deductible. I stopped her and said, whoa now, this accident was HIS fault--I shouldn't have to pay ANYTHING. She asked if I had his insurance info, which I do, and said that I need to file the claim with HIS insurance company, not mine, in order to not pay the deductible. Now, I've never been in an accident before--couldn't somebody have told me this a little sooner, like when I was on the phone with my insurance company or when I was talking to the cop asking him what I needed to do next? Luckily, his insurance company also uses the same collision center, so I moved to another desk to speak with the State Farm (his insurance) representative, who told me to call State Farm and file a claim and once I have everything in order, then bring the car back and likely get a rental since it will probably take more than a day to fix. So I came home and called State Farm (which is a project in and of itself since they don't have a generic 800 number for claims--you have to call a local office, which you have to look up through their website, which wasn't working ). So I called and left my info with a woman who I assumed is a receptionist who said the person who handles those types of claims was on the phone and would call me back. I assumed she meant they would call me back THAT DAY, so I left them my home number since I wasn't going anywhere else for the evening, but no--never got a call back. So now I have to call them back again today because I WILL be going to work and will not be able to recieve calls on my home phone, so I need to leave them my work and cell numbers. According to their website, they will "conduct an investigation" into claims against their policy holders, so who knows how long it might take. Meanwhile, I've got a bumper cracked in half and a license plate so bent you can't even read it from the front (which I'm guessing they won't get me a new one at the repair place, so I'll then have to deal with the DMV to get a new plate). I hope it doesn't decide to snow too soon and put that weight on the bumper and crack it all the way, leaving it on the ground.

So I did my exercise this morning--I did it only 4 times for the first 2 weeks, but I got it in all 5 times last week and 2 days so far this week. I stepped on the scale this morning to find yet another gain. Bah, I don't even have the energy to go into a rant about that
  • Jilly sorry everything sems to be sh*t at the mo, I too have gained even though I'm exercising & OP, stay with it, another day or two things will be better. Grit your teeth, breathe deeply and I'm sure the insurance will get sorted, console yourseld at least you're ABLE to sort it out, not in hospital or the morgue!!! Even though it seems terrible you have us all to rant at if you need it.xxxx
    xxxsharon (off to exercise, I've procastinated enough!, lol)
  • Good Morning Ladies! Hope everyone (awake) is doing well. I am up early today even though i am off work, i cant seem to ever sleep late anymore!
    Jilly: Sorry your having a time with the insurance company, hopefully you will receive some answers soon!
    Wezi1126: I dont know what got into me this year, this is the first time in a long time i havent waited until sometime in December to start my Xmas shopping. I actually starting buying things in April when i found a good sale or whatever. It was actually easy once i started, and i have found some good deals!
    Endthereign12: Welcome back! i have been gone a long time, but kept up with the threads. I am determined to post everyday and keep involved here. As you said,the posts and advice and victories here have kept me motivated
    Did anyone see Oprah yesterday? Kirstie Allie looked fantastic!! i was moved to tears at her story, she is so beautiful and 55? i would have never thought. One thing she said that i really retained was basically, you can change yourself at any age. I will remember that in my hard times.
    Well i am off to get ready to spend a day with my family shopping. Anyone that i left out today or last night posting, PLEASE forgive me. There are so many names, i can remember posts, but it may take me some time with the names. I tried to post an avatar pix, but it came out blurry,so i will try again soon.
    Brandnewme: I always loved your posts, it was good to see you posting. Im sorry things are hectic now, but just think of how good it will be when you finish school. You are special, remember to take time for yourself, you deserve it!
    I hope everyone has a great day
  • Patti - *waving* Hi! I'm still here. I just tend to be rushing on and off all the time. I don't get time to post much and am feeling pretty bad about it, but I can't let myself stress too much about that as I have enough to stress about at the moment as it is. I know you ladies will forgive me and I will get on here whenever I come up for air. Thank you for asking about me. It usually takes something like that to make me get myself into gear and at least post that I am still OK.

Kimberly - Thank you for the message about being an inspiration. I love hearing that! I just wish I could get on here more often to offer the support I keep meaning to. I read a post and think "I must say something about that" and a couple of days later I remember that I never did get around to it. Well done on getting your Christmas shopping done. I haven't bought anything yet. Well, I have bought a few things for my students - Christmas pencil, Christmas pen (with stamper), Christmas activity book and some toffees - but not for anyone else. Luckily we don't buy for all of the family, as there are parents, 6 siblings and their partners and 12 nieces and nephews etc... etc... We don't even go INTO my other relatives, like aunts, uncles and cousins, as there are WAY too many of them. We mostly just buy for each other, and a few friends. I am hoping to get to a craft fair soon to pick up a few things. My problem with hubby is that it was just his birthday the other day, so I tend to run out of ideas when it comes time for Christmas. We are very naughty and tend to buy things during the year that we want, so it gets a little tricky around this time. We ordered a few things from Amazon over the weekend and I said that we'd have to save them for Christmas.

Brandnewme - It sounds as though you have been on quite the rollercoaster lately. I am SO sorry to hear about your nephew. Down Syndrome children can be absolutely adorable, but certainly put extra burdens on the family. I hope your sister and family can find a good support network to help them.
    I don't envy you your school hours next semester. 12 hour days don't sound like much fun at all. Do you get breaks in the middle, or will you be studying the whole time? You will be brain dead by the end of the day.

Lori - I had to laugh when you said your butt doesn't need any new friends! What a great comment. I can just imagine myself telling the TV that while some trim, taut and terrific person told me to just keep moving. It sounds as though you have been getting in some great workouts.

Katt – When I first lost a lot of my weight I was noticing that my hands were quite wrinkly and ‘old’ looking, but they seem to have tightened up quite nicely now. I have veins showing quite a bit, but I think that is fairly normal. I just with the rest of my body would tighten up as nicely as my hands, face and neck. I suppose at least I can cover the rest up.
    I wish I had your problem of not wanting to eat. I LOVE my food and just want to get as much as I can. If I couldn’t eat HEAPS of vegetables for lunch and dinner I would be in trouble. Mind you, you really SHOULD try to eat more. I know you already know that, but I just thought I’d nag a little anyway.
    Sorry about losing your friend. It sounds as though you had a very solid friendship their, even across the miles. I am sure she knew you were thinking of her, even though you didn’t get back to her as soon as you would have liked.

Jill – Your new avatar really is gorgeous. You look SO happy and YOUNG! I know you are pretty young anyway, but you look like a teenager!
    Sorry to hear about the accident. I’m glad that the guy got a ticket, because at least there is then no doubt about who was at fault. It would be bad enough having the inconvenience of having your car fixed, without having to fight insurance companies to work out who is going to pay. I hope your car is fixed quickly and you are soon back on the road. I’m very glad that you weren’t hurt, although take care for a few days, as I often hear of whiplash and the like showing up a few days after an accident.
    Just read your latest post. How frustrating for you that you have to go through all of this red tape just to get something fixed that wasn’t even your fault.
    Wouldn’t it be OK to still have the goodies for a ‘belated’ birthday treat? We often have to do that at school because staff only work certain days and aren’t always in on their birthday.

Michelle – I don’t even want to THINK about being in those kind of driving conditions. I tend to worry enough if the weather is even a LITTLE rough, let alone like the kind you described. And I LOVE seeing pictures of polar bears, but I don’t think I would want to get too close to one in real life. Thankfully over here we only have kangaroos and other fairly harmless animals to deal with. We do have snakes and spiders, but they don’t often eat people (not that I’ve ever heard of at least – scary thought) and usually tend to avoid humans if they can. I’m glad you got out of it all without any teeth marks or other injuries.

Angel – I think that getting your son his OWN camera sounds like a good solution. It could end up being quite expensive if he keeps ‘playing’ with yours. Sorry to hear that your asthma is holding you back from exercising. A treadmill would be perfect for you because then you wouldn’t be out in the cold air and could set a pace suited to how you were feeling at the time. Maybe you could look around for a second-hand one.

Brenda – I am sure that this new job will be wonderful for you. Certainly less hassle than the old position. I never think about eating more protein to keep from feeling tired. I’ve been quite tired again lately and have to try to think whether I have had enough protein. I’ll try to keep better track of it. I hope your new job continues to be just as great as the first day was.

Ammi – I am glad that you are feeling up to getting back OP. It won’t be easy after not being well for a while and being so busy lately with birthdays etc. Just take it a day at a time (as I know you are doing) and hopefully you will be able to get into the swing of things without too much stress.
    I love the Love Boat too. I actually prefer many of the old shows to what is on TV at the moment. We tend to watch more of the older shows that we have recorded or have on DVD rather than regular TV. When the kids at school talk about some of the shows they are watching I am amazed. It isn’t just ‘talk’ either, as they know everything that is happening in the shows. I don’t think some of them are suitable for 7 and 8 year olds, but I don’t control what they watch, so I can’t really comment.

Sandy – I’m SO glad that your SD decided (well, maybe she was ‘convinced’) to postpone the wedding. It sounded as though the date she had set left little time to get everything organized and just put extra pressure on everyone except HERSELF.
    I am sorry you had that experience at the restaurant. It sounds as though the waitress AND the ‘so called’ manager need a lot of additional training in Public Relations. I am not sure I would say that it was all due to your size, but a lot of it is just due to some people not knowing how to do their job. Whatever happened to the adage “The customer is ALWAYS right”? I am not saying that it was NOT due to your size, but I have a feeling that these sorts of people are like that with everyone, not just larger people. I hope you do get that letter written and that you get some positive feedback from it.

Annie – I was SO sorry to hear about your brother. That must be extremely hard on the whole family. It is wonderful that he was able to find true happiness though. It must be difficult on his fiancé, but she can take comfort in knowing that she brought him some joy. It sounded as though his life was a little difficult up until then.
    I hope your surgery goes OK today. I will keep my fingers crossed that everything turns out fine and you are feeling great in no time.

Colneen – You mentioned that you were having elections over there. Are these just local or state elections? I have seen a little about it on TV in passing, but haven’t paid much attention to it. Over here we have compulsory voting. Once you reach the age of 18 you HAVE to vote or you are fined. We have to vote in all state and national elections, but local council elections are voluntary. I am pretty sure that over there ALL voting is voluntary isn’t it?

Elmay – Good to see you back! It sounds as though you have certainly been doing some jetsetting over the past few months. What a great life! I used to HATE airplanes and airports, but now I just want to get up and travel all the time. Pity my bank account doesn’t allow for that. A job where you travel lots would be wonderful, although I would want extra time in each place to do some sightseeing as well.
    I hope you manage to get in your planned gym time. The cost certainly sounds great!

Sharon – If you find any of that WHOLE BODY FIRMING CREAM please send me a couple of gallons of it. Hey, why not just send me a tanker full. I could bath in it regularly.
    I hope the boys are doing well. How is school going so far? I hope you have an understanding teacher. I can’t remember if you had mentioned how things had been going so far.

Melissa – I don’t have any suggestions on how to get the calves toned up. I am actually quite happy with my calves and most of my exercise in just walking, so that seemed to work for me.
    I really like your new avatar by the way!

Misti – I know how frustrated with the scales now and the obvious lack of interest that the FFM is showing in you. I have been reading your posts and decided to just stick my nose in and give you my 2c worth. You have said that you have been on this plateau for a long while now, even though you are working REALLY hard to lose a little more weight. Have you thought that you could be working TOO hard? I just remember when I was working out WAY too much and my weight totally stalled. I hadn’t upped my intake, and my body just decided to let me know that it didn’t want to be pushed that far. After making myself sick, and having 4 days off from any kind of exercise, I actually lost another couple of pounds. I know that not exercising for a while can be scary, but it may be worth it to give your body a rest and then to start off fresh. Mind you, you have also said that you feel as though you are toning up, so maybe things are just moving around. It is just remotely (LOL) possibly that I have NO idea what I am talking about. Sometimes I just like listening to myself speak. I just hope that you see some kind of change soon, as I know how frustrating it can be at times.

OK… well, as for me… I’ve been VERY busy once again, and I am hoping to race this post in before hubby gets home and we have to start getting dinner ready. Oh… I had better have my shower before then or I won’t fit that in either. I had a meeting after school, and I’ve got marking to do, ready for reports. I have a School Council meeting tomorrow evening. I have to get an interim report written on my student teacher, which is going to take a while as I am still determining just where he is at. There are a few problems, but I want to give him as long as I can to ‘fix’ them before I write the report. I have to make a start on the end-of-year reports, or I am going to be flooded with them in a week or so. I’ve been planning an excursion to the zoo for 4 classes. I think that is pretty much done. I’ve been trying to order materials for next year. I have been told that I have to move rooms towards the end of the year, so I have to start getting my gear organized to make the move easier. I have a new ICT (Information and Communication Technologies) position starting next year, so I have to visit a school who is really ‘up’ on the technology side of things, see what they are using and order some materials for our school. That part will be FUN, as I get to spend a LOT of money and I get to have fancy new technology in my room to ‘play’ with before we see if the rest of the school should get it. There is another staff member doing this role with me, so we should have fun shopping. Well, the other staff member is a male and I’m not sure he is as excited about shopping as I am.
    I also have to look at making a start on Christmas shopping and we still have to decide what we are doing for Christmas. My favourite way to spend Christmas is just with Neil and I at home, enjoying our presents. But Mum and Dad would like us to go and spend the day with them and some other family members. I’ll have to wait and see.
    Somewhere in the next little while I am hoping to actually fit in some teaching at school. My student teacher is doing a lot of the teaching, but there is still lots I have to do. He is supposed to be teaching 100% for next week and the week after that. Then we start doing lots of Christmas stuff as the year winds down. Oh dear! It is all just a bit of a mad rush at the moment.

Last week was HORRIBLE for me emotional and weight wise. I lost most of the weight, but have put some back on again. Not sure why, but will have to wait and see what it does. I’m not really worried, just curious, as I thought I was doing everything right. I have a feeling that I still tend to push myself a little too far as far as exercise goes, and that sabotages the weight. I will have to ease off a little there I think. I don’t necessarily do long amounts of time, but I make it as grueling as I can.

Today was Melbourne Cup day. The Melbourne Cup is a horse race and basically the whole country stops to watch it. We couldn’t watch it, as it was before our lunch time, but we recorded it and had a fancy lunch and watched the race then. It is worth a LOT of money and I can’t even imagine how much money is spent on bets. I always go in the school sweep (just a small thing) and I don’t think I’ve won anything in ages. I just like the whole ‘fun’ feeling of the day.

Anyway, I had better get running. I hope you are all having a wonderful week.

Take care,

Zelma

P.S. WOW!!! That was quite the novel. I think I can take a deep breath now. I am really sorry if I missed anyone.

P.P.S. I forgot to say WELCOME to all the new people. It is great to see you all here and I hope you stay and we hear a lot more from you. We aren't that scary once you get to know us.
  • Good morning everyone. And welcome to Crittle and other newbies. I was hoping to do some personals but looked at the clock... 4:30 and still have to get ready for work to leave a bit after 5.

Zelma and Xena... yes I have tried varying my diet AND I tried stopping exercise for four days... I have tried eating more and in 2 days I zoomed up to 240! So much for that idea. Believe me I have tried just about ALL the suggestions I have read and nothing works. But I am telling a difference in the way my clothes fit and I tried on another pair of pants that would not begin to go up and now they do... still can't wear them but I can pull them up. Oh well... just have to keep going.

I can't wait to finish putting the Gazelle together. I will probably wait until Saturday so I won't be tired and will have good light. Xena... LOL about the room; mine is going to be right in the middle of my living room along with the HealthRider, except I may put that on Freecycle.

Ammi... I have to say I am impressed that you can do the Gazelle for 30 minutes! All the reviews I am reading people are saying doing it for 5-10 minutes is totally exhausting at first! You are zooming!

Yesterday morning I had a sad experience. On the freeway there was a huge backup.. unusual at 5:30 AM... fire trucks from two cities came zooming by and I could smell and see smoke. Up just a bit a pickup had hit a guardrail and bounced several feet off the road into a tree... the vehicle and tree were totally engulfed in flames. It was so horrible to realize that short of a miracle there was someone still in it. The guy did die. Such a tragedy, and I was so shaken it was hard to settle down and focus on my work. I certainly pray for the family and friends.

Speaking of work... better get ready! Hugs to all and wishing you a blessed day.
  • Good morning all!

I was up waaay too early, but figured while I was up I would have a go at the Carmen Electra Strip DVD (#1). It actually wasn't as bad as I feared. Having been on the fringes of that business for some time (no, not stripping, just waitressing ), it was easy to remember most of the moves - the hard part was modifying them for my size. Kinda hard to pull your knees to your chest when you've got a rather large belly in the way. But it doesn't involve jumping around, which is perfect, because I have a rather painful lipoma in my lower abdomen (a benign fatty tumor) that really flares up with walking and fast movements. Hopefully I'll be able to have it removed soon - 2 years ago I was too heavy for the doctors to really feel the lipoma, but now it's much easier to find. I go on the 15th to check that out, so wish me luck! On the 13th I meet with my new shrink, and on the 14th I have oral surgery - yikes, busy week next week! Am I twisted for thinking of the weight loss benefits of oral surgery?

I'll bbl for personals, have a great day ladies!
  • Misti - Something must definitely be happening. I know that when I first started using my exercise bike regularly I didn't lose much weight, but people thought I had lost quite a lot. I had just toned up a lot of my lower body, and it had narrowed down a little. So, that could be what is happening to you. I have heard that women don't develop muscle at a very quick rate, but I'm not sure what DOES happen to our bodies when they thin down but the scales don't go down. I would imagine that the fat has to be replaced by SOMETHING. I truly don't know how these things work, I'm just happy that they do. It won't be long before you can do those pants up!

I'm sorry that you had to witness such a horrible scene on your way to work. I know it may sound a little cold, but when I think of things like that I can only hope that the victims were killed instantly, before the car caught fire. It isn't really a 'nice' thought, but I hate the thought of someone burning to death.

I hope your day at work is better today.

Zelma
  • hello zelma i was glad to hear from you. i hope all is going ok with you healthwise? no we sure dont need for you to stress out!
  • Good Morning!!! Its 9:45 and I am still trying to get the energy to go and exercise. I do Core Secrets with Gunner for 20 min. I am trying to get back into it. I left it for a month (and regret it now). I am sore but I know I need to exercise!!
    FallenAngel--Good luck on the 15th!!
  • Angel you usually can find a good treadmill cheap in classifieds. i got mine for like 150 dollars and it works great i have been using steadily for at least the past 2 years.
  • Good morning, everyone! Finally back to work after a week off due to the tonsilitis....just wanted to pop in before I go VOTE, and then work, then class tonight! I won't be on tonight, but I'll try and pop on tomorrow morning sometime. Have a GREAT day everyone!

Teresa - Remind me of that once I start my law classes! LOL

Melissa - What really did help me was the dance dvds. I have the Crunch series, and I love them!

Jill - I HATE State Farm! Hope it all works out for you!

Zelma - So good to see you, and I always enjoy reading your "novels"

Angel - My friend has those dvds, and I don't think I'd even try them until I was at goal...lol. So props to YOU!