Halloween!!!!!!!!

• Feeling a little anxious about Halloween? I am.

Especially those of us who have children that will be bringing home big fat pumpkins full of candy.

We're going to a friend's for dinner and trick or treating. I will have my one plate of food at her house. But as hard as it to say, I'm thinking I need to not even have one piece of candy tomorrow night. Because I don't think I could stop at one or two. In fact, I'm pretty sure I couldn't.

One thing we've been doing for several years now. We watch Charlie Brown's DVD about the Great Pumpkin. Then on Halloween night, our son picks about 10 pieces of candy he wants to keep (we negotiate the amt every year) and that night before bed he puts his candy on the front porch and the Great Pumpkin takes the candy and leaves him something (5 bucks, pack of yugioh cards, whatever--it's priceless!!!!). My husband takes the pumpkin I don't where and I never see it again.

What will you all do?

Charlene
  • That is an awesome idea. I'm not much of a candy eater so Halloween isn't that big of a deal to me. Now if they gave out Big Macs, I'd be in trouble!
  • I know for a fact that I couldn't stop at one piece. Life as I know it would be over. I would lose my sanity, my serenity, and my abstinence. I would be a crazy person.

My church does a big Halloween event every year. I went this morning to help empty bags of candy into huge tubs. I was surprised at how much the smell affected me. I kept thinking, "Wow, this smells good." Thankfully there's no way I was going to eat any, and eventually the smell went away. I got home, and I thought about how thankful I am that I didn't want to eat the candy, didn't eat the candy, and didn't have to spend the entire time thinking about eating the candy. In addition, I didn't have to feel bad about eating it afterward!

Tonight we're going to trick or treat on Main Street, and then head over to the church for the big Harvest Festival.

I was just thinking about what I wore last Halloween. I was 55 lbs heavier and 4 sizes bigger. And, I remember how I had to sneak the chocolate out of my daughter's basket whenever she wasn't looking. I remember thinking that everyone who looked at me thought I was fat and ugly. This year will be so different.
  • I just filled the give out bowl and wow! Just like Marny said, it affected me.

I know for sure that I will not be having candy. I could never eat one, if I start I will not stop. I am on day 4 of my program, and this time around I am understanding that the commitment to abstinance is what comes first. I have been reading a quote I coppied from SlimLindy on another thread about commitment, and It is so true.

Charlen, I love the Great Pumpkin idea. Earlier I told the kids that they would be able to pick out 30 pieces each, and have 5 a day. Most of the candy, they take one bite and throw it away, so 5 a day seems o.k.for now. The rest dad will take to work. This is the first year we are doing this, usually we keep it all, and I eat most. If they get upset I am going to try the Great Pumpkin story. Thanks!

Christy
  • I checked this board quickly before I left for our Halloween festivities at a friend's house. Your posts were God sends.

I was going to make a "kitty litter cake" which is really disgusting looking as it is a dessert that looks like kitty litter with poops served in a (new) cat box with a cat scooper. It's gross and fun for kids but when I read the recipe before I went to the market, it called for five separate baked goods and candy, that I was supposed to bake from mixes. Was I crazy? I called the woman hosting the party and was honest with her letting her know that I could not pull it off right now that I had just joined OA. We had the longest conversation; she had been in OA years previously, had had gastric bypass and lost over 100+ pounds! You would never know! She said she forbade me to make the cake!

My plate was a little fuller than I would have liked. I had one margarita. BUT, I didn't not have one piece of candy, dessert or any of the appetizers set out. Not one. That's a flippin miracle for me! It was really hard when the kids first came back and spread the goods out and all the parents dove in too. But then a calm came that I've never felt before and I was fine.

If that's the serenity OA refers to...I like that feeling very much.

Thank you all.

Charlene
  • Yahoo! Charlene! Wow, honesty, abstinence, and serenity all in one day! You go girl! What an awesome Halloween. You had a great time without eating compulsively or breaking your abstinence. That calm you felt was indeed serenity, and it shows how hard you are working your program. I'm so proud of you, and overjoyed for you too.

Christy-
    You got it right: The commitment to abstinence comes first. If we are only hanging on by a thread- that thread needs to be our abstinence. Some days everything goes to **** except for my abstinence. I might yell at my kid, hide in my room, be mad at my husband, but the one thing that I hang onto for dear life is my abstinence. Thank God.