How do you get started???

You're on Page 1 of 3
Go to
  • Where can I begin with exercise when I'm so heavy and out of shape? I know I have to start somewhere, but just thinking of more than 10 minutes of aerobics almost makes me pass out! How did you work up to actual workouts? Will the few minutes here and there of silly dancing while cleaning or playing with the kids go towards boosting my fitness level? I feel so utterly hopeless. Can someone please give me some advice or tips, something to make me feel like I can really do it this time?
  • walk, walk, walk.

At this point, any movement is better than none, period. When I first started, I was taking 3 mile walks and doing some -very- light strength training with inexpensive and easily transportable resistance bands. Then you can maybe start walking up and down some hills, or explore some sort of walk/jog combination (for example, I worked myself up to where I am today by adding 5 min of jog time total to my walks each week - week 1, I walked 45 min, week 2, I walked 40 and jogged 5 min total split into 30 sec increments throughout my walk, and so on). If you do this 3-4 times per week, you WILL improve your fitness level dramatically.

Others have had great success with the Walk Away the Pounds video series, which I haven't tried.

Start slow, you can build up as slowly as you need to be comfortable. You can do it!
  • You can do it. Start small. Walk, dance or do any activity that keeps your heart rate up. Start at 5 minutes then see how you feel. If you feel like going longer, go. Try to work up to 7 minutes, then 10 then so on. Walking is a wonderful way to start! Good luck to you!

carafre
  • Well, I started out at 272 and used the Walk away the pounds tapes and also walked outside. Whatever you do, start slowly and add just a little more every week or so. You don't want to burn yourself out or injure yourself.

I really liked the tapes by Leslie Sansome (sp?) Maybe you can find a used one somewhere to try out.
  • I started in July at 275 pounds (5'9"), and I walked for about 25-30 minutes at a time. The key, like everyone else said, is to start slowly and just do whatever you can. The WATP videos are good, especially if you'd rather not do anything outdoors or at a gym at first.

You'll be surprised at how quickly your body adapts to exercise, and how you start actually wanting more. I worked my way slowly up by increasing minutes and intensity each week or two, and now I'm doing 52 minutes of cardio 6 times a week. At least once a week, I'm doing a walk/jog, and I never thought I'd be able to jog or run. Even if you only start with 10 minutes, just increase it to 12 the next week...then 15, etc. Before you know it, you'll be craving exercise, and the pounds will melt off. Come back to this forum and post in the Exercise Accountability thread! I love that thread because it always feels good to post what I've done that day.
  • I agree, start with, say, 10 minutes a day for 3 days a week That way if you want to do more, you can. But if you tell yourself you're going to do 30 minutes 6 days a week and you don't, you feel that you've failed and you are likely to give up.

I started walking by re-discovering my favorite old HS albums (okay let me date myself...) and listening to them on my Walkman when I walked. It's the only time I allow myself the pleasure of listening to those great old albums. I later bought a treadmill, and similarly, I only allow myself to watch those stupid addictive TV shows or movies that you can never get enough of (Trading Places anyone?)--when I'm on the treadmill.

The point is, I like to build in some kind of "treat" when I'm exercising. I also listen to books on tape -- love it.

Good luck, it's so true, your body really is an amazing machine that WANTS to be healthy. Good luck! You can do it!
  • Don't feel hopeless! I agree with everyone, walking is great, and something is better than nothing. I've fallen in love with a series of DVDs called 10-Minute Solution that I found on Amazon. They're 10 minute programs and you can set them up to play in a specific order. For example, you can choose to just do the upper body segment, or you can do the upper body segment and abs, etc, etc.

My other favorite exercise is water aerobics. The best thing about water aerobics, or really anything in a pool, is that my muscles feel the burn, but when I get out of the pool, my joints don't ache and hurt. It's also easily adaptable to your fitness level.

Good luck, and have lots of fun! Don't forget to experiment and see what works best for you, your schedule, and your body!
  • Quote: Where can I begin with exercise when I'm so heavy and out of shape? I know I have to start somewhere, but just thinking of more than 10 minutes of aerobics almost makes me pass out! How did you work up to actual workouts? Will the few minutes here and there of silly dancing while cleaning or playing with the kids go towards boosting my fitness level?

You were right all along!
    Remember, the basic is ... eat less and move more. 10 minutes of aerobics is more ... dancing with the kids is more ... a 10 minute walk is more.
    You've got it my friend ... just do more!
  • I did it! You can do it! I started at your weight and like the others, just started moving more. WALKING upstairs instead of yelling up to hubby... parking a little further away. Workouts began at 10-15 minutes..

Now, over a year later, I work out weightlifting 2-3 days a week 60 min each, yoga once a week, and some cardio!

BTW, congrats on your loss so far! AND, I see you're new. I invite you to join us on the 300+ board (people starting at or over 300 pounds) -- we're under "support forums". We have a very active exercise thread you might like. We set goals of minutes to exercise per month and track not only our own progress, but tally a group total -- we are striving for 200,000 minutes this YEAR (which is AWESOME!!). It's great for accountability!

WELCOME!!!
  • Well I will chime in here and agree with the walking. I started at 298 and it WAS hard, yes it was!! I had to stop and rest, lean on poles, sit on rocks, etc., every few minutes. But you CAN do it! Just do what you can and don't feel as if you should be doing mega workouts. You will be amazed at how quickly you can start doing more bit by bit. Go for it!!!!
  • BTW ... I'm not sure I've ever done an actual workout. From start to finish? I don't think so.
  • I'll put in another good word here for Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds workouts. I am almost 300 pounds and finally woke up one day about 2 weeks ago and just started doing it. I do a 30-minute 2-mile workout DVD with her at least 4 times a week, and it's perfect for me since I can't walk outside at that time (I exercise at about 4:15am, so it's still dark out, and not particularly safe). It's great for those of us who aren't particularly coordinated since it's really basic steps (mostly just walking in place, knee lifts, basic front kicks, and side steps). And she says throughout the entire workout that if you don't feel up to doing something, you can just walk in place or do smaller movements (i.e., you don't have to kick as high or lift your knee as high, etc.).
  • Thanks everyone! I used to be in great shape, so it's hard to accept the physical limits I have now. I'll check out those ideas and pop in at the 300+ board.
  • 10 minute walks to start?

Pfah, I say! When I started, it was walking around the block. I think I might've put in 5 minutes. Maybe 4.

But people are right when they say that stamina builds surprisingly fast. But honestly, you can start with whatever. Sometimes, I know, even starting with a 10 or 15 minute walk sounds daunting, but luckily, you don't have to start there.
  • I remember reading a story of a woman who walked to her mailbox and back as the beginning of her exercise journey. We all start somewhere.