Topic for the week: powerlessness

You're on Page 5 of 6
Go to
  • Thanks Birgit...I just looked up the number for one in my area, and plan to call the lady. I wonder if they would let me bring someone the first day? Wow that was a really interesting statistic seemings how in my post I just wrote I only want to be right 85%-90% of the time....a real eye opener. Thank you
  • Of course you can bring someone with you! OA is open to anyone - the only requirement is a sincerely desire to stop obsessing over food. Good luck!
  • Hey Tina-

Great job finding a meeting. Yes, going to the first one is really scary. There are lots of unknowns. None of us "wanted" to go to our first meeting. The good news is that everyone in that meeting went to their first meeting at some point too-- and felt just like you. Another good point is that the people in there are just like you-- they've tried everything and nothing works. So, they've given OA a shot. They feel like you about food, think like you about food, and want help desperately just like you.

Walking in the doors the first time is the hardest part. Once you get in there, find a seat and breathe. Then, just listen. You're worth it.
  • Welcome Tina ...make sure you go to a couple of different meetings. They are all types and each meeting has it's own feel. I need to get to more f2f meetings myself.

I ate some stuff before I went to sleep which was legally part of my food plan but eating after supper needs to be off limit for me. So today my tongue is sore from too much salt - I didn't eat very well for supper last night either and that is not taking care of myself. But I have learned from this program that it is progress not perfection that matters and I am definately making progress. So "for Today" I am going to once again admit my powerlessness over my addictions and do the best I can at getting through the day not eating compulsively. I am so glad that you are all here too and want to do a better job at posting more often.

Janet
  • I wanted to thank you all...I just made the call to my OA contact person. I'm going to my first meeting this Wednesday I'm nervous and excited all at the same time. Thank you all~
  • Yeah, Tina! Please let us know how the meeting went.

Hugs,
  • I think it will be another good day, although i do not want to be or sound over confident cause that’s when i fool myself into thinking that i am in complete control of my eating patterns, and i fall. So far so good, no binging for 6 days straight. I will attend another meeting tonight, i need to keep going, they help me a great deal, even if i am just listening most of the time. Have had different emotions that could have led me to binge or eat trigger foods but i delt with the emotions differently and told myself to hold off for another hour before turning to food for comfort, and then an hour later, i just did not feel like i needed the food anymore.

Keeping strong. I have to.
  • natalia32,

i know where you're coming from...for me over confidence is the root of all evil! it's always when i think i am the one in control that i falter. for me, i have to remind myself everyday that i will never be in control. only by turning over the control can i be successful in following my program.

bravo for waiting for the feelings to pass! keep on keeping strong...one day at a time!
  • Hurray for both of you - I'm right there with you! It never pays for me to get cocky around food. Hugs to you you both,
  • For me powerlessness is feeling out of control. I feel like food is controlling my every move. When I wake up, I worry about what I'm going to eat, when I'm eating I'm worrying about what I'll eat next. When I'm full, I wonder when the fullness will pass, because I want to eat more! The last few months, it has gotten even worse, I've gained another 25 lbs and I'm now at my highest weight ever. I wonder how something can have total control over my life! I feel so completely powerless when it comes to food.
  • Startanew, I'm glad you found us! I, and all of us here on this thread and on the Binge Free Week Challenge thread, know exactly how you feel. There IS HOPE! Please join us on the Binge Free Challenge thread. Hugs to you,
  • Yesterday I started my new way of eating, and I really understood what powerlessness meant. Everytime I drove by a fast food restaurant it took every bit of willpower I had to NOT stop. That is a big problem for me, sneaking the fast food, and lots of it. Its hard to believe something like food has this power over me, its almost like it was calling to me, hypnotizing me.
  • I went to my first meeting last night. I didn't say much, and it was super strange to introduce myself and say " I am an overeater." I KNOW there is something wrong with my relationship to food. I feel like I must eat constantly. Yesterday morning I learned that I have gained 18 lbs in the last year alone, 30 since 2005. I've always been afraid of being fat like my mother and have done every fad diet, fast, pill, laxative and drug to keep myself from it. The past 2 years my appetite has truly taken over. The quick fixes don't work anymore and aren't the answer anyhow.

I can understand other addictions such as drugs and alcohol, but it is hard for me to understand that food can be an addiction too. So, to start with, I prayed last night after my meeting and asked for awareness of how food has power over me. I feel it is important to speak things out, so I just need to publicly say what I've learned just in the past few hours to people who might understand.

I caught myself staring into the fridge several times last night, just looking for something to graze on. I didn't even know I was doing this until I was already in there! I woke up thinking about food this morning, and have caught myself daydreaming about food all morning long. This is nothing unusual, only today I have an awareness of it, instead of just mindlessly following my thoughts into the kitchen.

I believe there are 4 things that contribute to my compulsion. My plan of abstinence will be:

1. No fast food restaurants. Anything with a drive through is super bad for me.
    2. I commit to eating 3 meals a day, with one snack.
    3. I commit to abstaining from candy bars, chocolate, and other cakes, pies, cookies, sweets etc except for special occasions such as birthdays or parties.
    4. I commit to praying before I eat, every time I eat, in order to promote a spirit of thankfulness for my food and to force myself to pause and consider what I am eating and its true purpose of nourishment as intended by God.

So, there, I am poweless over food. My power will come from God. I said it! Thank you all for listening.
  • Demogirl, you have made a GREAT beginning! The commitments you made seem perfectly doable - and we are here to support you. Good luck to you,
  • startanew-
    It is amazing when we begin to see how very powerful our overeating disease is and how very powerless we are over it. The awesome thing is that you are seeing it!

demogirl--
    Good for you for going to a meeting! Walking into my first meeting felt like moving mountains. Yep, it's really hard to wrap our minds around the idea that food, something we need to live, can be an addictive substance. But, I've learned that it is, and I can't manage it myself.

A sponsor once told me that I should put a sign inside my refrigerator that says "It's not in here." So, whenever I found myself looking in the refrigerator, and had no idea how I got there, I could read the note and remember that whatever it is that I was looking for to feel better wasn't going to be found in the refrigerator.

It took courage to write our your abstinence definition. You Rock!