A plea and a rant about myself

• I've really missed being able to come on to the boards several times a day. my schedule in school is really pounding me something fierce and I've been so discouraged by the diet. Most of it is my fault, I can't seem to get my foods in right. I did TO this week and dropped down to 275. We had dinner out last night with friends and it jumped back up to 280 which I'm guessing is mostly water weight from sodium but still, I've been struggling at 280 for 2 months now and it's really depressing to see it jump back up there.

I'm trying to figure out how to balance fall holiday food with the diet too. We're invited to a lot of chili parties and I'd like to make a chili that I can eat. Anyone have any suggestions?

I'm also having problems with lunch. I'm tired of tuna, I've grown sick to death of chicken to the point I can't even eat it. I am having trouble thinking of stuff I can take to work and school for lunches. I'm feeling really distressed.

I have started using the elliptical trainer again, so that's good but I need to get this food thing under control, but the more I fret about it the more out of control I feel.

*crazed* I'm so afraid that if something doesn't happen soon, I'm going to give up.
  • Sommer - First let me say that I posted two chili recipes from the cookbook in the recipe thread. If you need more, let me know.

Second - Christmas is a day, not a month. Try to remember that when you go to the parties. Maybe try being the designated driver. Was it you that made wine spritzers? Anyhoo... just keep in mind that you will hit the veggies first, fruit platter second, and then sample whatever it is that is only available at this time of year, or at this particular party. If you can get it in June from a restaurant, it's not worth it. (Wow, this is easier said than done. This is as much for you as for me).

Lunches - Veggie burgers are awesome and travel well. Low sodium deli meat like turkey smeared with some laughing cow and rolled up is good. Make a pot of chili or soup and take during the week.

Lastly - Don't stress! You are doing so much right now. Just try to stay OP without worrying about being POP.

I'm at work right now, so this is rather hurried, but you get the general gist of what I'm trying to say.
  • Sommer - First, giving up is not an option! Review your goals and reasons for wanting to get healthy and set your mind to it. You can do this!!

Ditto on all of Cassi's comments. Perhaps now is not the time for you to aim for perfection on the plan; if you give up and don't at least try, you're likely to fall off completely. I'd rather see you be good 80% of the time vs not even trying! At a minimum, you should at least plan out your menu for the day (this takes just minutes to do).

As much as you like to cook, give yourself a break and do a few frozen meals (at least they provide the variety you are looking for). The restaurants listed in the plan book have some good options; even if you don't go out to eat, maybe just reading what's listed under the restaurants can give you some different food ideas to incorporate into your plan.

I think it's great that you are using your elliptical; a little exercise should also help put you in a better frame of mind for weight loss (it does for me).

Hang in there. Any engagement ring pictures to share?
  • I was feeling the same way you are last week because I have been gaining and losing the same 5lbs since I started LAWL 6 weeks ago, and I was tired of not being able to eat what everyone else was eating when we went out. I started a thread and Pearl had some amazing things to say. Here's a link to it
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96300
    She really motivated me to get back on track for myself because I deserved it and you do too!!
  • Sommer - Hang on a second... I'm a little choked up by Snowbunny! (Thanks!)

Now, in addition to what I originally said to her (and I would love for you to read it!) Here are some ideas for lunch in addition to Cassi - the LAWL Goddess of planning:

I made a huge pot of vegetable soup using cabbage, green peppers, onions, green beans, carrots, LS V-8 juice and FF NO salt chicken bouillion powder with some herbs (since you like to cook, I won't bore you with my list) Now, you just add your protein and you've got a quick meal that travels very well.

What about the many things you can do with ground turkey? I've made italian sausage, meatloaf (mixed with gr beef), meatballs, soup, taco meat, and burgers.

Now, let's see, tilapia is the bomb and Cassi's recipe and Katie's recipe are both exceptional!!! Then there's scallops (once in a while), shrimp, fresh tuna steaks, lobster, and Mahi Mahi, not to mention all the other types of fish available.

Okay, we've got cottage cheese, ricotta cheese, tuna salad, chicken salad, turkey salad, turkey breast, roast beef (once in a while), pork tenderloin (once in a while).

Next, lets look at stirfrys, gumbos, chilis, soups, chowders, stews, pasta dishes, rice dishes, eggs, egg beaters, peanut butter, dried beans (once in a while)...

There's Lean Cuisine, Healthy Choice, Kashi, Birds Eye, Lean Pockets, Michelina's...

Come on Sommer - you love to cook - there's a whole world of food out there just waiting for you to get your talented hands on it!!!! If you need any recipes for anything I've mentioned, PM me and I'll dig some up for you.

Come on girlfriend - I still have that vision in my mind of you in your wedding gown... You've got a goal! You've got a vision! You've got a reason -
    You're worth it!!!

And in case you missed my posts from before... I missed you!!!!
  • My husband and I both like to eat turkey burger with some spicy seasoning, lettuce, Light cheese, FF sour cream and salsa. This is one of our favorite meals and we have it often for dinner and lunch.
  • Hey Sommer...

Sorry to hear you're having a rough go right now. It's so frustrating, especially when you probably busted your butt on TO, and then the weight came back. Oh trust me, it's so frustrating.

I have no advice to give... exept for this, because I'm in the same boat as you. Put a picture of a wedding dress on your fridge. I have one on mine right now because I don't want to be a chunky bride. That has been motivating for me when I'm wandering into the kitchen and looking for something to snack on. Just a little positive thinkingthat might be able to work for you.

Best of luck!!!
  • One of the quick lunches I used to take for work was one of those microwavable containers of Progresso soup and a raw sweet potato. I would just microwave both at lunchtime. The sweet potato usually took 8-9 minutes to cook for a pretty large sized potato. I suppose you could always pre-microwave it at home if 8-9 minutes is too long at lunchtime.
  • Has anyone found a Progresso (or any other) soup that's low enough in sodium for LAWL??
  • Sadly, I have not. DH likes the Healthy Choice soups in the microwaveable can, 220 cals but they have 960mg sodium. Yikes. I think I retained water just by typing that!
  • There are new low-sodium soups from both progresso and campbells-need to check them out. Some of the Campbells have less than 100mg. Not sure what the progresso ones have. I copied a newss release below regarding hte progresso soups.

Progresso to Launch Low Sodium Soups
    Related News

Aug 17,2006-The only thing missing is half the sodium, according to the company. All four flavors of Progresso reduced sodium soup are certified by the American Heart Association.

17/08/06 General Mills’ Progresso brand is presenting a collection of soups that contain 50% less sodium per serving than original Progresso soups on the US market. Progresso reduced sodium Chicken Noodle, Chicken Gumbo, Garden Vegetable and Minestrone, are still rich in flavor and made with high quality ingredients. The only thing missing is half the sodium, according to the company. All four flavors of Progresso reduced sodium soup are certified by the American Heart Association.

The new Progresso reduced sodium soups are available in four varieties. Chicken Noodle is made with roasted white meat chicken and rotini shaped noodles in a traditional savory chicken broth. Lively tasting Chicken Gumbo has a tomato base with rice, okra and chicken. Garden Vegetable is packed with a colorful medley of vegetables and the delectable Italian favorite, Minestrone, is a savory blend of carrots, peas, potatoes, kidney and green beans with penne pasta.

“Serve a steaming bowl of soup with salad and bread and you have a tasty and satisfying lunch or dinner,” said Ukonwa Kuzi-Orizu, Progresso Marketing. “With Progresso ready to serve reduced sodium soups, the meal is nutritious, easy and delicious.”
  • thanks JM--I'll have to check them out next shopping trip
  • If anyone can give me some nutritional info on the soups, I'll e-mail the dietician. I wasn't able to find anything on the progresso site.