Morning People?

• Hello!!!

I think I have done a pretty good job in my efforts to become a morning person. I go workout from 6 to 7am three days a week, but still usually wake up that early on my off days. I usually have enough energy to get me through the day, but I decided to take an evening class on Tuesday nights from 5:30-6:30. Last night I discovered I was really dragging and felt almost sick about 2/3 of the way through. I don't know if it was the early rise, or if I didn't eat enough yesterday afternoon, but I felt AWFUL! Does anyone else have trouble varying their workout times like this?

Also, do you still have mornings when getting out of bed is impossible? I could not physically get up this morning, but I suppose it could be from a stressful workout last night. So this means I need to workout tonight, but I have an appointment with a trainer in the morning... don't want the same thing thing to happen again, I'm her only super-early client. I can't imagine if someone made me get out of bed that early just to ditch me!

AH! Sorry for the early morning rambling, I guess I'd just like to know how some of you handled the transition to Morning Exercise Queen

Thank you!!
  • I usually wake up at 6.30am and am bouncing around and bright and sparkly at that time : but I do find working out in the morning harder. If I do morning workouts I'm usually working out in the evening too anyway, so I wouldn't say it was a problem changing the times.

Did you eat carbs before your evening workout? That usually makes me feel better and more likely to not pass out during a class!

I'm also v sleepy today after yesterday morning's workout, so perhaps there is something in it. Although I could be sleepy because I had a disrupted night due to overeating and wine yesterday

So no proper advice, but I know how you feel! I think you might want to try eating a banana or something like that just before class, it'll give you the energy to carry on.
  • I get up at 3:30 to go to work. I used to workout around 6:30 on a break, but I started going to the gym again. I only do about a quarter of my workouts in the evening, but that's where I get the most stamina. However, when I do workout in the morning, I feel MUCH better throughout the day, even if it is more difficult to get going.

2frustrated- I sure do envy you. Oh, what I wouldn't give to be able to hop out of bed.

ABakerchick- I do know what you mean about dragging yourself to the finish. Sometimes my body just stops and says, "I don't think so!" for no particular reason that I can see, escept this only really happens when I workout in the middle of the day (which is pretty standard now, though). It confuses me.
  • I switched from evening workout to morning workouts about 9 months ago. I get up at 5am and am home to shower by 630am. At first I thought to myself what in the world was I thinking. I gave it two weeks and am hooked. I do usually take the dogs for a brisk 20-30 minute walk in the evenings, but nothing that is an all out workout. I cannot work out in the evening and then in the morning. Your body needs at least 12 hours of rest before another workout. Also getting a good nights rest is really important for me to get a good workout in the morning. I suggest taking tonight off and going tomorrow morning.
  • I'd suggest keeping some high-protein, complex-carb snacks around for when you start "dragging". Like, banana with peanut butter, or something like that. Gives your body a shot of carbs, with protein to carry you through.