Taco Bake

• INGREDIENTS:
    1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef or turkey
    1 Low sodium taco seasoning mix
    1 (16 ounce) can FF refried beans
    16 ounces salsa
    2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese

DIRECTIONS:
    1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (160 degrees C).
    2. In a large, heavy skillet over medium-high heat, brown ground beef, and drain fat. Mix in dry taco seasoning.
    3. Spoon browned meat into a 9x13 inch glass baking dish. Spoon a layer of refried beans over meat, then salsa. Top with shredded cheese.
    4. Bake about 20 to 25 minutes in the preheated oven.
  • Sounds yummy... thanks!!!
  • Yum .... yum, yum, yum! This is exactly what I want on a cool almost-autumn rainy day.
  • Pearl - I took the liberty of sending your recipe to the LA Chef because it looked so yummy. Here's their makeover:
    Taco Bake

1 pound lean ground turkey breast
    2 Tbsp. chili powder
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    2 tsp. paprika
    2 tsp. garlic
    1 (16 oz) can fat free refried beans
    1 (16 oz) jar salsa
    1 cup shredded reduced fat cheese(Monterey Jack with Cheddar as available)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    In a large, heavy skillet brown ground turkey breast over medium heat. Drain off any excess fat. Mix in spices. Place browned meat in a ( 9 x 13”) glass baking dish. Layer refried beans over meat. Spread salsa over beans. Top with shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes: 8 servings

Serving size: 1/8th of recipe

LA Exchange: 1/ 2 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Condiment[

Please remember to use this recipe in moderation while in your weight loss program for continued success.
  • My husband his mexican...and making mexican food was for dinner at least twice a week! This will help, thanks for sharing. It's going to be super hard to not slap that on a tortilla!!

I plan to make mexican rice soon and change up the ingredients to make it more healthy....i just hope the family approves!
  • [QUOTE=bizlawchik;1455010]Pearl - I took the liberty of sending your recipe to the LA Chef because it looked so yummy. Here's their makeover:
    Taco Bake

Hello,

could you tell me what LA Chef is and if anyone can submit a recipe for a makeover with the exchanges. thanks
  • Quote: Pearl - I took the liberty of sending your recipe to the LA Chef because it looked so yummy. Here's their makeover:
    Taco Bake

1 pound lean ground turkey breast
    2 Tbsp. chili powder
    2 tsp. ground cumin
    2 tsp. paprika
    2 tsp. garlic
    1 (16 oz) can fat free refried beans
    1 (16 oz) jar salsa
    1 cup shredded reduced fat cheese(Monterey Jack with Cheddar as available)

Preparation:

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
    In a large, heavy skillet brown ground turkey breast over medium heat. Drain off any excess fat. Mix in spices. Place browned meat in a ( 9 x 13”) glass baking dish. Layer refried beans over meat. Spread salsa over beans. Top with shredded cheese. Bake uncovered for approximately 20 to 25 minutes.

Makes: 8 servings

Serving size: 1/8th of recipe

LA Exchange: 1/ 2 Protein, 1 Starch, 1 Condiment[

Please remember to use this recipe in moderation while in your weight loss program for continued success.
    That looks really good. I am not on the plan but it will fit well into my own plan so I will try it.
  • Thats funny, I was thinking about making something like that for dinner. But instead of the beans I was going to put a "crust" down made from shredded zuccini with egg and cheese. I bake that part first then put the rest on and bake until bubbly. I'll add black beans in with the meat.
  • Love this recipe!
  • Brings back memories! ��