Love/hate workout

• I love and almost crave to take my dog for a walk or to get on the treadmill in the morning, but then am tired at the same time.

Now kee in mind, I just started putting exercise in my daily routine this last week.

I work out throughout the week starting out with aLMOST 2 MILES in the beginning TO 5 MILES BY THE END OF THE WEEK. I do this all in the morning (between 7a to 9a whenever i get up and get my black coffee and get the kids ready or my husband gets up to get the kids ready for school.. lol).

I feel like I do nothing for the rest of the day. I have wasted energy but yet feel like i'm too tired to do anything throughout the day.

Do you think it would be better to spread exercise out throughout the day even if you do a half mile in morning and half mile in afternoon?
  • I am so envious of you! I miss walking my dogs. I have to get up before 5:00 AM in order to get myself ready for the day and get my DD to school before 7:00 for her first class and then get myself to work.

I used to walk almost every morning after dropping the kids off at school, but then, I wasn't working then.

If I were you, I'd try to stay at the 2 mile mark for the entire week (or possibly less) until you've built up the stamina to go longer. I think it's just your body saying that you're doing too much too soon. When I started walking, I started with 2 miles per day 3 days a week and within a month I had worked up to 4 miles a day 5 days a week. (BTW--I did get a walk in this past weekend, and I was sore for two days!!! I need to get back in shape and I've only been not walking since the hot humid days of summer hit here in May.)

Good luck!
  • you are awesome
    I have been on disability because I have broken my feet three times. I love being active but since I have been sedentary for a while, I got used to that lifestyle. I love being active for the most part. I was working and am thinking of a wa y to not work or to find a different occupation due to stress fractures. But not sure just yet...just want to loose weight for now. hey maybe it's my new job, just have to figure out how to make money at it...lol thanks so much for your input...wished we lived closer to walk our dogs together and loose weight at the same time.
  • When your first start working out it's normal to be tired. As Allison said gradually working yourself up to 5 miles is a good idea. Are you eating healthy whole unprocessed foods? I find that if I eat too much processed stuff I am tired ...
  • That's funny you asked that ilene about the unprocessed foods, because yesturday I went grocery shopping and only bought fresh fruit, veggies, and meat. My husband came home looked in the fridge and thought he was at a different house...lol. I was full of only healthy fruits and veggies. I have been charting on www.fitday.com and have been learning alot about balancing my meals. I am still not there yet and have a lot to learn. Just when I thought I understood, something new came up. I know I will get it though! I just have to keep the desire...
  • I KNOW you will get through it because you seem to have the determination. Good for you for cleaning your kitchen of the cwap foods, that's half the battle... Out of sight, out of mind is my motto... If you stick with 3FC you will have the desire to continue because we're here to motivate each other...
  • I think my husband is losing weight too; just because there is no junk food in the house and I am only making enough for the proper servings for each person no more. HEEHEE Love it!
  • I would also agree with sticking with 2 miles in the morning for the first few weeks just to make sure you don't burn your body out in the beginning and end up wanting to quit. There are other ways you can be active during the day..... I'm on a mission to be more active during the day, less time on the couch. Is there any yard work you can do, watering plants, grass; mopping of floors; things that need to be done around the home that you've been putting off? I'm trying to jump up as soon as the timers go off for things, get things myself instead of asking the kids, stand instead of sit at games and stuff, park the farthest spot away, stand when folding laundry, etc etc. That might be a better way than all in the morning.
  • good for you. I am too out of shape somewhat since I moved I cant go to the gym anymore but I used to go 5 days a week and workout for 1-2 1/2 hours!!!! So me getting tired so easily is killing me. I need to get an elliptical. trust me it takes time to start burning the rubber of your nikes again!