out of control

• I am 35 and 300 pounds. I am out of control. How do I stop this and where do I start? I have tried every thing but surgery and I am considering that. I have three children and I need to get better for them. Any advise on how to start?:?: :?:
  • How about a little background? What diets have you tried, and why didn't they work? I think a lot of us feel like we've tried everything out there - I know I certainly did - when it turned out that I just wasn't ready to make the changes I needed to make. I think you can try as many diets as you like, but if you're not ready, they won't work. It sounds like you're there, though, and realising that you need to do something is a definite start. And there's a huge amount fo support and inspiration on this site. What worked for me was counting calories and cutting out a lot of processed foods (especially white breads/pastries and white sugar). I mostly concentrate on trying to eat a ton of fruits and veggies and lean protien. I'm just now starting to boost my exercise to get me to where I want to be. Start with little things - what could you change each day to make yourself healthier? Regardless of how you go about it, I think one of the keys is to set mini-goals, so that you don't feel overwhelmed. Sorry... kinda started babbling there. The point is that you can do this, and there are a lot of people here who can help you, so kudos to you for making the decision to get healthier, and I hope to see you more on here.
  • Hello and welcome! Hang in there and don't give up!

I agree with Sierra about lots of fresh fruits and veggies, combined with lean protein and cutting out most processed foods. Also begin with some exercise; doesn't have to be a lot at first but make it a habit and do it whether or not you feel like it (often you won't; that's okay)!
  • First, take a deep breath. Don't forget to let it out!

This whole process can be overwhelming. I weighed 295 when I started, so I know where you're coming from.

I agree with both of the posters above in terms of what to do... but that may still be overwhelming.

I took baby steps. When I started, about a year ago, I just watched portions. For example, I remember a particular meal at a place like Bob Evans. I used to get the eggs with bacon, hashbrowns and pancakes. That day, I decided to just get eggs and toast. I wasn't stuffed when I left, but I wasn't hungry either. I told myself that feeling was okay and that I could always have something to eat later if I wanted to.

I also tried to move a little more. Not exercise, per se, but getting up and moving rather than shouting for something. Eat less, move more was the plan.

The process of portion control did require me to pay attention to what I was eating, but I wasn't really sure what I was doing. After about a month, I started journalling everything I ate and calorie counting. Then I started paying much more attention to nutrition.

I also started to exercise. Not much at first, but some. I have found a way to make myself accountable by setting exercise goals each month (in terms of number of minutes!)

So, take some more breaths and come up with a plan. Try it out. Come here and learn and read and be inspired.

You may want to check out the 300+ group or the 100 pound club -- you'll find both under support forums.

You can do this, you know. You don't have to believe that now, but take a leap of faith and start!
  • Baby steps. What I've been doing for the past couple of weeks is just cutting out soda and all those chips and things I usually eat during the day. With that alone I lost 9 pounds. Then try to slowly incorporate exercise, something I myself need to work on. Try going for walks to start out. You can do this!!