I'm so tired of eating breakfast

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • If you're going to have a small breakfast, I think just milk is about as perfect as it gets. Milk has protein and sugars (carbs) -- perfect for starting the day. You can fill in the veggies etc. at later meals.

I don't much like eating first thing in the morning, and I prefer "regular" food to breakfast food. I've decided that, while breakfast should be eaten, it doesn't have to be eaten first thing. Think about it: Farmers don't eat when they first get up, they go work in the fields for a few hours, then come in and eat.

I'm an office worker, not a farmer, but I'm much hungrier around 10:00 than 8:00. I'd much rather eat breakfast then, when it's mid-morning snack time for others.

Having said that, I ate oatmeal 5-6 mornings a week all winter and spring, often with a milk-and-fruit "shake" -- even before I started my diet. Now it's too warm for me to want oatmeal most mornings. Cold cereal and milk only acts as an appetizer for me, making me want to gorge on other foods. Love waffles, but I can't make them myself and the toaster kind have sooo many chemicals in them. The natural ones are expensive, and I always want butter or something on them... Most mornings, the mere thought of eggs makes me want to heave, though I do manage them a few times a month. So, like you, I've been having just milk some mornings, and I'm okay with that.

I have noticed that when I have a really big breakfast, it lessens my appetite for dinner and evening eating. I'm just as hungry at lunch, but somehow it adds up during the day. But by "really big breakfast" I'm talking American farmhouse-style platters of eggs, bacon, cheese, fruits, juice, and something bready. I usually don't even want this in the mornings, and it's rare that I'd prefer it to lunch or dinner food.

My ideal breakfast is crepes filled with fruit (and, yeah, some low-fat cheese) and they're thin enough to be okay calorie-wise, but too time-consuming for moi to make daily. Maybe when I win the lottery and can afford a chef...
  • Quote: My only worry is total caloric count for the day for you.
    Yeah, I haven't been getting many calories. So I was thinking of just adding one or two healthy snacks during the day to make up.

Thanks everyone else for the comments and suggestions!

I'm sure I'll eat some mornings, but it's not going to be every day. Like I said, I'm happy just drinking my glass of milk and leaving it at that.
  • I must be the only person on this site who feels hungriest when they first wake up in the morning.
  • I never ate breakfast foods during the week when I was in high school. My mom would come into my bedroom and hand me a glass of OJ - worked better than an alarm clock. Did you ever try to go back to sleep holding an ice cold beverage??? And just waking up enough to be coordinated enough to put it down somewhere safe was enough to get me up. And when I did actually eat something, it was usually soup. Eggs or cereal for weekends, and usually mid-morning.

I learned to eat breakfast years later, after college and living on my own for a few years. But there's still nothing that says you have to eat it (only that studies show that it aids in weight loss, helps kids to beter in school, you know all the arguments). But you know what works for you, and if eating breakfast isn't your thing - then don't do it. Or eat something a few hours later, which it sounds like you're planning to do. A glass of milk gives you 100 or so calories, a little protein - you're good to go. Life's too short, and all that. You've done a great job losing!
  • Quote: I must be the only person on this site who feels hungriest when they first wake up in the morning.
    Nope, I wake up hungry and absolutely love breakfast. No way I would skip breakfast! Drives my boyfriend crazy when I want breakfast before ANYTHING else in the morning.
  • LOL, I have to eat early in the morning also. I could eat breakfast foods all day!
  • I can relate to this very well, too. When I first started eating healthier I forced myself to have breakfast, then it became such habit that I couldn't function without it. Now that my day starts earlier, too (5am) I can't stomach it. Once in awhile I eat a piece of cheese or little piece of deli turkey b/c I have to take medicine in the am. Around 9am I'm ready for something more substantial. It really is a struggle, though, I agree!
  • Quote: My mom would come into my bedroom and hand me a glass of OJ - worked better than an alarm clock.
    I love this! I might need to start doing this to my teenaged son.

I usually eat the same thing every day for breakfast, a week at a time. Here are some regulars:
    • egg/vegetable frittata (made on weekend, reheated 1 piece every day for weekday breakfasts)
    • 1c plain yogurt + 1/2c cereal + 1 serving fruit + 1T nuts
    • cottage cheese and fruit
    • 1 tortilla with peanut-butter smeared on it, wrapped around a banana
  • I've just had milk for breakfast for the last 3 days. Sometimes plain, sometimes chocolate (I buy the sugar-free Nesquick).

I feel better mentally, it's a huge weight off my shoulders not feeling obligated to get up and fix something to eat every freakin morning.
  • Quote: Nope, I wake up hungry and absolutely love breakfast. No way I would skip breakfast! Drives my boyfriend crazy when I want breakfast before ANYTHING else in the morning.
    Yeah! I'm not alone! All my friends skip breakfast, so when lunch rolls around and I'm not as hungry as them, they don't understand its because I've already had an entire meal just a few hours earlier. I say, "eat breakfast, guys, its good for you!" Once when one friend said she did have breakfast and when I asked what she responded "toast". Toast is a peice of bread. Its not a meal to me.
  • I'm with Siena in that skimmed milk sounds perfect for your breakfast - it's got protein and carbs and a smidge of fat, so if that's all you feel like having then that's fine. Just that single glass will raise your metabolism from its night time fasted state, so you're good to go
  • Quote: I'm with Siena in that skimmed milk sounds perfect for your breakfast - it's got protein and carbs and a smidge of fat, so if that's all you feel like having then that's fine. Just that single glass will raise your metabolism from its night time fasted state, so you're good to go
    Thank you. And good to know. I do just fine with a glass of milk until lunchtime. In fact I've noticed that when I eat breakfast, I get hungrier sooner. If I have just the milk, I can make it until noon or after before I eat lunch. If I eat breakfast, I'm starved by 10am.

Plus I still control what I eat at lunchtime. So it's not like I'm famished by then from only having a glass of milk for breakfast and wanting to eat anything not nailed down. Oddly it's when I EAT in the morning that I'm famished by lunchtime.