"Cola" Chicken -4 pts

You're on Page 2 of 4
Go to
  • Points in Ketsup
    1/4 c. of ketsup = 1 pt.
  • Sounds yummy but

please don't eat it too often

diet coke and diet pepsi contain aspertame which can cause seizures and death
  • Cola Chicken
    OK...while this recipes sounds completely awful, I will try it. IF, and this is a big IF, my 9 year old son will eat it, it's a winner. He is almost as picky as his father. I'll just have to cook and not tell anyone what's in it until after they've eaten it. I think I'll serve it with brown rice and steamed veggies.
  • Cola Chicken Success!!!
    I made the cola chicken tonight and my very picky 9 year old loved it. He asked for seconds, then thirds...something he NEVER ever does. Thanks for this great, simple recipe!!!
  • After reading all these messages.. I just had to try this receipe.

I wish I like it... but for me, it was nasty!

it turned out like a runny bbq sauce.. we all tried 1 bite and it was dumped. Frozen pizza was the back up plan.
  • Cola Chicken
    Did you cook it long enough? I found that I had to let it boil down on med-high for awhile for it to thicken up.
  • crock-pot friendly?
    Has anyone tried this in their crock pot?

Susan
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by motivation2001
    Sounds yummy but

please don't eat it too often

diet coke and diet pepsi contain aspertame which can cause seizures and death
    I'd like to toss in the other side to this, from one of my favorite "urban legend rebuttal" web sites, the fine folks over at Snopes.

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/aspartam.htm

To their credit, Snopes offers links to information on both sides of this debate at the bottom of their page.

And I'd like to recommend Snopes to anyone that ever finds themselves bored with browsing the same ol' sites. Snopes has all sorts of interesting, fun, truthful information on a wide variety of things. While they mostly debunk urban legends, you'd be surprised at how many of them are actually true!

And you might just score some extra points in your next trivia game or contest

BigWheelz
    [email protected]
    344/336/275
  • Oh, and one more thing...

I'm not sure how "heat-tolerant" aspartame is... but the new sweetener out there, Splenda, is supposedly very heat-tolerant, and can be safely used to cook all sorts of things.

You can find Splenda in diet-Rite cola.

Big Wheelz
    [email protected]
    344/336/275
  • Can this be done in a slow cooker?

Thanks!
  • yes.. that is how I cooked mine.
  • Quote:
    Originally posted by Earthy
    Can this be done in a slow cooker?

Thanks!
    You can start it in the crockpot, then you would have to finish the sauce by boiling in on the stove to reduce the liquid. The liquid needs to thicken and becomes like a barbecue sauce.

Teresa
  • I make this in the crockpot as well. The only differance is that I also with BBQ sauce. So my recipe is:
    4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
    1/2 cup of ketchup
    1/2 cup BBQ sauce (i use sweet baby rays)
    1 12 oz can of diet coke

mix all ingredients and cook in slow cooker on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 2-3 hours.

The BBQ sauce gives it just a little bit of something extra. Its delicious both ways. Same point values too.
  • Just wanted to add another opinion- I made this in my crockpot too. The chicken was very tender, however, the taste was a little odd!
  • I used the original recipe in the frypan & it turned out great. No leftovers & even picky daughter asked for more. For sure - a winner at my place.