I am new too, and really need support.

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hi all,

I would really like to join in on this group. I feel so depressed. I am 241 pounds and so far, nothing has really worked for me, although I know the fault is not in "the plans". Up do now, I just haven't been able to stay on a diet even though I am just MISERABLE with my weight.

I am 47 years old, single and live in DC. My ideal weight is about 135 pounds, so I am almost exactly 100 pounds overweight. I have even been on 3FC before. I feel like I have really hit bottom with my weight and I know that I have to get really serious this time.

I hope that I am welcome here, and I would love to hear from others.

All the best,
    Elaine
    241/241/135
  • Hello, Elaine, and welcome! I just got done watching the Oprah show (I loooooove Oprah), and todays show was about weight loss. Anyhow, she said something today that really stuck in my head...weight loss is a DECISION. That's all it is. You can't decide to "try" it, you have to decide to DO it....it took me a long time, but I honestly believe that's what I have done, and hopefully you have done that too. You can do it, and we will be here to support you. You don't have to be perfect; you are allowed to stumble...just pick yourself right back up, and you'll be fine!
  • I hope I didn't sound too harsh....lol...just trying to be motivational.
  • Cassie - you are absolutely right. I think in the past I always fell off the diet becuase I was so harsh on myself then just gave up cause I had "messed up".
    Elaine - I am starting back too after years of trying (as you can see my join date was 2001!) At our highest weight, with support I think we can do it.
    Just come here and join in conversations - these are some of the nicest people around for sure! And they have definitely been where you have been as far as knowing what it is like to begin this journey.
    You can do it!!!

Sara
  • Dear Sara and Cassie:

Thank you! Cassie, you did not sound harsh at all! I love Oprah too, and she is right. It IS a decision.

I am signing off the computer, but will be back tomorrow!

Thanks again,

241/241/135
  • If you need support you have come to the right place. I haven't ever met a more excepting and friendly group. Congrats on your new lifestyle choice.
  • You're very welcome here, Elaine! Make yourself at home, and post often.

Try taking things just one meal at a time, rather than diving right in with some seemingly impossible set of rules. Making small changes, one at a time, is a great way to get going, and set yourself up for success.
  • We have ALL felt that way, I think. I was miserable about my 295 pounds last summer, and a lot of events kicked me into gear. I can't believe the changes in my body and my attitude in that time frame!

I'm trying out a new "slogan" -- it will debut here for the first time -- The ABCs of healthy living:

Attitude: You have to believe in yourself and that you can do it.

Behavior: Don't focus on the weight loss, focus on new behaviors (eating and exercise). You can control your behaviors, after all. And don't worry if A follows B in this case. Psychologists know that attitude sometimes precedes but sometimes follows behavior.

Commitment: This one should probably come first. Make a commitment to yourself (and not necessarily to any one plan!). If you fall off the wagon, get back on again. Don't allow yourself to give up (but don't keep working a plan that isn't working for you!).

I can't decide if I like the ABCs, or the 5 C's (in my sig)... decisions, decisions...
  • I like them both, Wyellen! I often ponder slogans!
  • Elaine, You are definitely welcome here. And Cassie, I agree. It is a decision, and we have to be ready to commit to achieving that. Glad that you're joining us!
  • I was were you are about 1 1/2 months ago. It does not take very long of doing it to change your attitude. I have even fallen off the wagon for a week during that time. I have decided that I need to just take it one day at a time one meal at a time and the rest will come.

Trish
  • Welcome..
    I understand where you are at.. I was there last Feb. !
    I must admit that I am not the biggest Oprah fan but I did watch the show yesterday.. I totally agree with her.. Weight loss is a decision..
    Some days I find it so easy to stay on track.. On the other days I would love to just pull my hair out!
    I take it day by day.. Sometimes hour by hour.
    When I started this process in Feb. My weight was 260.. That is on my home scales.. Gym scales has a lot more..
    I have lost 52 lbs to date... I feel so much better in everyway.
    I exercise now.. ( Let me tell you I was so scared of going to the gym)
    I do not love to exercise like some people love it.
    I still have to make myself go!
    But when I look in the mirror and see my body changing it makes me want to get up and go..
    You have came to the right place...
    Tracey
  • Just wanted to say welcome! We're all here to support one another. Keep in mind why you want to lose weight ... constantly remind yourself that you can do this and that you deserve it. The right mindset is so important. Times will come when you slip-up, but it's ok ... just move on from that and keep going. We're all human, and we aren't perfect. I've found if I had it in my head that I was dieting and restrictive ... with the whole idea of I can't do this and that ... it had a negative impact on what I was doing. I felt deprived. I haven't felt like that for awhile now. I have my cheat days. I feel those are very important to have from time to time.
  • to the forum Elaine! Already good advice here, and great place for support! Post often so we can get to know you!
  • Wow! You guys are awesome! Thanks so much. Well, today is day one!

Elaine
    241/241/135