Need Some Support For A Bad Case of Weight Loss Envy

• This time last year I was down to 207 and then I got pregnant. I soared to238 at delivery on 02/25/06. A friend of mine offered to join WW with me. She started WW at 238 and I started at 216. We're 4 weeks into it and I have a really bad case of diet/weight loss envy. Every week she uses all her daily points plus her flex points. She eats Cold Stone icecream, McDonald's, a tuna sub this week. I've been doing the salads, vegetables, yogurt, fresh fruit routine. I NEVER use my flex points. Yet we go to get weighed in tonight and she lost 1.8 and I GAINED .2. Yes that's point two pounds not 2 pounds. So I am at 9 lbs lost and she's just over 10. And I sat there green with envy has they gave her a 10 pound ribbon. I know it sounds crazy to get worked up over .2 lbs.

Someone help me. Green is not my favorite color.
  • I know when I tried weight watchers they told me that you HAVE to use your daily points all up (you dont have to use the flex, just daily). Are you doing that?

Another thing, it could just be some water weight, maybe you ate something high in salt! I bet next week you are down twice as much.
  • Oh, I know it is tough. But, there will be weeks where you lose more than her. Everyone is so different. Hang in there and keep doing what you are doing, it will pay off. Are you exercising?
  • Ah, this sounds like my story. I'd lose .2-.4, then stay the same for weeks at a time, then all of a sudden drop 2-3 lbs. Why? Who knows? But, you might try using your Flex points - it's why they give them to you! Back with 1-2-3 Success and the next iteration (Winning Points?) we had a range of points to use. 5 or 7 points between the min/max. Had to meet the minimum, don't go over max. You could "bank" points from day to day, but only over a week. I think it got too complicated, and WW likes to keep its program "fresh." However, people were not afraid to eat to the top of their point range, whereas they often view flexpoints as something to only be used in an emergency. If you think about it, each point is only about 50 calories, so if you're eating say 24 points, that's only 1200 calories! Of course, you get a few more from you 0 point foods (veggies and some fruits) but still you are eating very low calories at 24 points. At 207 you get what, 26? 28? Still not a lot of food. Try eating some flex points for a couple weeks - use them for good food, not chips, etc. - and see what happens.
  • I know the 35 flex points for the week are there to use but you're right. The way it was explained was that they were there for an emergency - like a party or something. I never used any of them. I was thinking about using them a bit here and there to see what happens. Maybe it will jump start my diet again. Thanks Pat.

I don't really exercise that much. With the baby and work I just seem so tired at the end of the day. The baby gets up about 5 am every day (and therefore so do I) so tomorrow morning I'm going to plop her in the stroller and go for a walk. My husband and son will sleep right through it never miss us. LOL Maybe if I get my exercise in in the morning it won't feel so much like a chore since we're up anyway. Thanks for reminding me Cheryl.

And Courtnie - thanks for the encouragement. Point 2 pounds of water weight sounds a lot better than fat. Maybe it was my shoes.

Thanks everyone. I needed the boost.
  • Many of us have been there. Going to WW with a friend can be really helpful, but if you get too competitive about it, it's going to mess with your mind, your weightloss, and your friendship.

Talk yourself down, by looking at the facts. We're talking about less than two pounds difference, your friend started out at a higher weight than you, and you both have lost almost exactly the same percentage of weight (about 4% of your starting weight). If you're going crazy now, it's only going to get worse. Everyone loses at different rates, and women's body weights (and men's for that matter, though to a lesser degree) are going to fluctuate for tons of reasons. And you can't get messed up over a pound or two, let alone fractions of a pound. I can gain 10 lbs of water weight at TOM, so if I weigh in a couple days before my period, a 3 lb loss, could register as a 7 lb gain. As long as you stick to plan, and are losing, you'll get there, try not to worry about how fast. This really is a case where slow and steady wins the race, and it's better to be the tortoise than the hare.

We've all seen people (or have even been one) who start out fast, losing 5lbs or more each week - at first - and then they give up out of frustration when the weight loss slows down. Don't let mind games get in your way.
  • Don't mean to be "hard" but you need to focus on supporting one another rather than envying your friend's success. You are both losing weight, but expecting to be "even" or ahead of your friend is not productive to you OR supportive of HER.

I think a lot of us here at 3FC experience the same thing to some degree. I look at the pix and stories of the folks who have lost all their weight and look great... and I have to make a choice. Rejoice with them and be happy for them... or be green with envy which will cause me to be unhappy myself and become discouraged, as well as not being an encourager to others.

We have to remember that "it's not all about me." I encourage you to "reset your thinker"