Old 05-29-2006, 03:49 PM   #1  
Eat less, taste more

S/C/G: 179/166/128

Default Trip to Asian Supermarket...

I'm planning to go to the Asian supermarket the next time I make it in to the city...and I'm wondering if Jayde and anyone else who cooks Asian dishes often might have some advice to offer...

What I plan to buy:

Miso...red or white...probably both since the recipe I want to try calls for both...is there much of a difference? Is there a brand I should be looking for?

Tea...I love trying new kinds of tea so if there is something unusual I may encounter that I should try please let me know.

Seaweed sheets or flakes..I think the recipe I have calls for wakame? Forgive me if I have that dead wrong.

Red pepper flakes and arrowroot flour.

And a type of spice that is mentioned in the Okinawa book...the name escapes me...something about translating to seven spices or something along those lines...

And I'm not sure what else...anything else that I *must* have? recipe suggestions? I'll probably buy more things that catch my eye. I love trying new fruits and veggies so I'm looking forward to that section!

Also...does anyone cook with tofu? I have exactly twice and I just can't get a taste for it. It just tastes to me like something from a lab...you know in high school when you have to grow stuff on agar? Thats what it reminds me of. Am I doing something wrong?
Sapphire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 04:23 PM   #2  
The Beauty of Balance

S/C/G: 213/193~196/<195

Height: 5'7"

Casey, I have the Okinawa book though I haven't looked at it in a long time. We mostly eat Korean foods so I am familiar with ingredients used in Korean cooking. What is it you are making?

Miso.. there are quite a few types of Japanese Miso. The white is milder than Korean dwaenjang (a soybean paste). I couldn't even start to advise you unless I knew what you were making.

The soybean products I buy are:

soy sauce of course.. but only Korean saempyo brand. Nothing else works for what we make. Kikkoman is horrible. I'd throw it away before I used a drop of it.

Korean dwaenjang (paste).. is brown.. quite a bit darker than Japanese white miso.

Ssamjang ... a mixture of dwaenjang and gochujang (red pepper paste) plus other flavorings.. It is usually made at home by mixing these ingredients but more and more people just buy it premade.. including me.

Tea...I love brown rice green tea. Absolutley wonderful.. we also drink many kinds of other Korean teas.. then of course fresh ginger tea is always good.

Wakame.. an essential.. you can get it dried or "fresh". The fresh is really salty so rinse carefully. Wakame is not a sheet though.. Nori is the sheet. What are you making????

Red pepper flakes... an absolute essential. There are basically 3 kinds.. the spice kind that has the seeds in, a coarse flake used for most everything, a fine powder used for seasoning soups etc at the table. Be sure the flakes you buy are fresh.. They should be bright bright red.. Some stores will have old brownish flakes or sort of redish but not really red on the shelf.. Don't waste your money.

arrowroot flour... arrowroot flour.. I don't think I've ever used this. Unless it has another name.

seven spices .. I've heard of this but never used it.. Maybe I read it only in the book.

tofu.. we use it all of the time. The texture varies..

one has the consistency of yogurt.. it is used in special soups and smoothies.

The soft is good in soups and smoothies, also topped with soy sauce mix sesame seeds green onions etc.

Medium is good for soups, goulashes, for mandu (aka potstickers) etc etc.. just about anything. It is the most versatile kind.

Firm is good for a quick fry. Tofu is not usually eaten for the taste of itself but for the texture and tastes that it absorbs from other foods.

I am not sure what you are making but here are some other essential seasonings that would send me to the store in a flash if I was getting low. (I'm not including the ingredients we've already discussed.)

Sesame seeds. .. unroasted.. I roast them myself
vinegar.. various kinds
sesame oil.. again.. I usually buy 1 quart cans of Kadoya a Japanese brand
sea salt I do not even have any other kind of salt in the house..
little dried anchovies.. an essential!
red pepper paste.. I buy it in 5 pound jars
a rice wine for marinating.. Sake is fine and easiy found at most liquor stores.
fresh garlic, fresh ginger, onions, green onions, large leeks

What are you making?????????

Last edited by Jayde; 05-29-2006 at 04:38 PM.
Jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 06:24 PM   #3  
Eat less, taste more

Let's see what am I making...well I don't know for *sure* but there were a couple of soup recipes that looked good to me...a chicken in miso gravy recipe. Really I just wanted to get some of the basics so I could try recipes as they caught my attention.

If you have some recipes to recommend I would be glad to hear them!

I really appreciate the list of "must haves" thats exactly the kind of information I need!
Old 05-29-2006, 09:23 PM   #4  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaHippo
I really appreciate the list of "must haves" thats exactly the kind of information I need!
Yes..but remember those were my must haves for Korean food. Korean food for many who aren't used to it is an aquired taste. Many foods are very spicy hot or salty. I am cautious about the salt which is why we also eat a lot of Mediterranean type dishes.

Quote:
If you have some recipes to recommend I would be glad to hear them!
I'd love to recommend some dishes. Let me think of some easy ones that aren't too pungent. I'll also look over the Okinawa book and see if there is something in there I'd like to try. It would be interesting to try some new recipes and then share how it came out. I'll check out those soups you mentioned.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:34 PM   #5  
The Beauty of Balance

Ok,,, quick refresher about the book and now I remember why I liked it so much. Of course the information. That was the biggest part. But also the few recipes that are there are so doable. Some seem authentic Okinawan but many others meld Mediterranean tastes together with Okinawan. I'm psyched to try a few.

Here are a few simple recipes you might want to try. From your posts it appears as if you don't have an aversion to seaweed.. so I'll send you some of my true blue favorites.

seaweed soup. There are many many many variations of this; some spicy some mild.. some have white miso some have dwaenjang (dwaenjang.. the brownish Korean soybean paste I told you about.. apparently that is the same as the red miso mentioned in the book.)

Oh.. clarification.. I am going to include Korean names of things (for my sanity and also in case you are going to a more Korean type Asian market.) But I will also include the Japanese term (if I know it) as this will be useful too.

Ok.. the seaweed soup (called miyok guk.. 미역국 ... I make a big pot of it but you can cut the ingredients to just try it out. I also don't measure stuff... so I'll do my best to be specific..

ingredients:
dried miyok (wakame seaweed) About the size of a fist if you could ball it up.
about4 tablespoons chopped lean beef (the beef should be fairly tiny pieces) chopped garlic... maybe 3 cloves
1/2 to 1 tsp sesame salt (roasted sesame seeds freshly ground with a sea salt)
a teaspoon or so of sesame oil or olive oil be generous but don't overdo it
black pepper to taste
6 cups of water or weak beef broth...(homemade broth...if you don't have it water is fine)

1. Soak the miyok (wakame seaweed) in water for about an hour. It will poof up ten times it's volume so be conservative when you decide how much to soak. Discard the water.. rinse once then cut up into 2 inches pieces.. (I usually cut them into bigger pieces but most people prefer them small.)

2. In a small bowl (or directly in a large pan) mix the beef with garlic, sesame salt, oil, and black pepper. Sear it in the bottom of the pan you will use to make the soup. You just want to brown the meat not cook it through.. careful not to overdo it or the garlic will become bitter.

3. Add the seaweed cook it for a minute or two stirring the whole time. Then add the 6 cups of stock or water. Boil on medium heat for at least 30 minutes. The seaweed should be tender. Sometimes I cook it a lot longer than this. Just be sure too much of the broth doesn't evaporate.. you can't just add water at the end like you can other soups as the broth will take on a sort of creamy color and taste from the seaweed.

Check for taste. If it needs more salt add sea salt but bring back to a boil.

We eat this with steamed rice and kimchi.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Beef soup

So easy.. but it takes a lot of time...

You'll need:

beef bones with a trace of meat on it (traditionally oxtails are used but any beef bone will do).. if not using oxtails have your butcher cut the bones up to expose the marrow and little pockets of holes)

sea salt
garlic (several cloves cut in half) I use lots of it; maybe a whole bulb or more
water (loooooooooooooooooooooots of it)
green onions

1. Soak the bones in cold water to remove the "juices"; discard water.
2. Cover the bones in a pan with fresh water and bring to a boil. Cook through till the meat is just done.
3. Remove everything from the pan. Rinse the "scum" out of the pan. Rinse the "scum" off the bones.
4. Return to the pan with fresh water.. lots and lots of it. Also add the garlic. And some sea salt.
5. Boil and boil and boil and boil and boil and boil and boil adding more water as necessary. Obviously you don't want a roaring boil; after awhile a decent simmer should keep it going.

So.. how long do you boil.. At least 4 hours. I cook it a lot longer than this. Sometimes 2 days (several hours each day).. this is one of those kinds of soups that really needs to rest.. then be cooked again. it should be milky white by the time you are done. In between boils I skim off the fat (essential). Add salt if necessary. Boil one more time.

Serve in wide mouth bowls garnished with fresh chopped green onions. Serve with kimchi and white rice. Also this is really really good served with crisp kim (nori seaweed).

-------------------------------------------------------------

crisp kim (nori seaweed)

You can buy this ready made but it is easy to make (of course I make it myself)

sheets of kim (nori seaweed)
sea salt
oil.. sesame or olive

Brush one side of uncooked kim (nori) with oil sprinkle with sea salt. If you are fairly generous with the oil and stack the sheets on each other the salt from one sheet will stick to the bottom of the other.

Freeze the sheets you are not planning to cook. Then prepare the rest.

Place a sheet over hot flame..a heavy cast iron skillet or some type of open flame (gas burner). Too hot and you'll burn it in a second.. too cool and it will not be crisp.. It should only take a few seconds to be finished.

Remove from flame.. cool and cut into 2 inch by 2 inch strips (or whatever size you like) to serve.

Eat this with lots of dishes. One way is just to wrap rice in it. Another way is to put the soup in seving bowls. At the table diners can put rice in the soup, add more salt or green onion if they want, float a piece of seaweed on top and then fill the spoon with rice catching the seaweed on top of the ricewhich is on the spoon . If eaten this way kimchi is essential essential essential as a side dish.
Old 05-30-2006, 11:06 AM   #6  
Eat less, taste more

YAY!! I'm stoked to try those recipes!

I hope I don't have an aversion to seaweed. I think I don't since I remember trying it as a kid and I liked it then and I was much fussier then than I am now.

I'll let you know how it goes. I hope I will have a chance to go shopping today.
Old 05-30-2006, 03:05 PM   #7  
Eat less, taste more

Quick question...

With the beef broth after I boil the bones for the first time and then dump everything out of the pot and get rid of the scum...when I return the bones to the pot to boil again am I returning the water from the first boil too or is that to be dumped?

Also...I quite like spicy food so I would be willing to give some of your spicier recipes a try too. I can always dial back the spice a notch if I can't quite take it!
Old 05-30-2006, 03:38 PM   #8  
The Beauty of Balance

Quote:
With the beef broth after I boil the bones for the first time and then dump everything out of the pot and get rid of the scum...when I return the bones to the pot to boil again am I returning the water from the first boil too or is that to be dumped?
Everything is dumped except the bones and meat stuck on them. Start again with fresh water. As you know, the "scum" is the cooked juices.

I posted true blue favorites with very few ingredients hoping you'd be able to make it without another trip. I'll think of some simple spicy ones for you next.

Oh,.. make sure the seaweed soup has plenty of broth.. if 6 cups of water is not enough start with more.
Old 06-13-2006, 06:04 PM   #9  
The Beauty of Balance

Sooooooooooooooooooooooo, did you make any of this?
Old 06-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #10  
Eat less, taste more

No...I STILL have not been to the Asian Market and...get this...I cannot buy SOUP BONES at my local grocery store. Is that not the stupidest thing you have ever heard? Really not all that shocking though...I can't get brown rice there either. Small town so there are three shelves of sugar cereal though...