Just for Lapbanders #4

You're on Page 11 of 12
Go to
  • Congratulations Jeefer, I'm so happy to hear your success Never give up is right !!

Leenie
  • Hello all! New to this, so bear with me. Started my pre-op liquid diet yesterday (surgery is June 4) so I'm looking for advice on how to make it through this challenge. I know I'm fighting head hunger but there is also some physical hunger, these protein shakes just don't fill me up.

Thanks!

372/358/190
  • Where are the threads you guys chat on?
  • Right below the stickies... its for anyone who has had surgery
  • Found them Leenie and already have jumped right in! Thanks!
  • Lapband problems
    So I don't know what is different about me, but I had the lapband in 2007 and I have barely lost anything. I have been filled to pretty much full and I still don't see any results. I just exercise and right healthy and that's pretty much my results. It's very upsetting because I eat less and then some days I can eat much more. I pretty much stopped going to the doctor because he was so far out of the way and I was getting tired of spending money to get xrays and realizing there was nothing wrong with the band. If there is anyone out there that has had the same problems I would really like to talk to them! I'm at a point where I wish I never had it done. I have these scars that will never go away but I have nothing to show for it.
  • Hi Melissa and

Have you had a good blood workup done lately ... could it be your thyroid? What is a normal day of eating for you, I know with the band we can eat more calories then we think we are eating. Are you drinking rich drinks? there are ways us banders can eat around the band. I would suggest for about two weeks taking time to write down exactly how many calories a day you are taking in and be totally honest with yourself. If its reasonable and you are still not losing weight then you should see your GP and tell him/her what is going on.

Leenie
  • Hey everyone!

I am starting my pre-op diet today... I'm nervous, scared, excited, hopeful, and doubtful all at the same time. My husband and I are getting banded at the same time, I think doing this together will be a little easier for both of us and that part really excites me!

The pre-op diet says you can have meal replacement shakes, as well as protien shakes, but doesnt say what kind... any suggestions??
  • No suggestions, but lots of luck sent your way! Keep us posted!!
  • Quote: Hey everyone!

I am starting my pre-op diet today... I'm nervous, scared, excited, hopeful, and doubtful all at the same time. My husband and I are getting banded at the same time, I think doing this together will be a little easier for both of us and that part really excites me!

The pre-op diet says you can have meal replacement shakes, as well as protien shakes, but doesnt say what kind... any suggestions??
    CONGRATULATIONS !!!!!

I would double check with your doctor and ask him what kind he recommends. If he says any then its really up to you and your taste. I like world wide protein, its 21 gms or 35 gms of protein (vanilla). I get it from Trader Joes (its in cans).

Check out the food stickies on this board for different opinions regarding protein shakes. Also post below on the regular board, I'm sure the other chickies can help you
  • I have my lapband surgery Aug 11,10 I am a little nervous about the surgery. I have a 2 1/2 year old 2 16 yrs old and a part time caregiver for my dad . My question is are you really up and ready to go the next day ? I am active all the time now. Any suggestions for after surgery would be great help. Thank you
  • Quote: I have my lapband surgery Aug 11,10 I am a little nervous about the surgery. I have a 2 1/2 year old 2 16 yrs old and a part time caregiver for my dad . My question is are you really up and ready to go the next day ? I am active all the time now. Any suggestions for after surgery would be great help. Thank you
    Congratulations and Good Luck

Everyone is different with surgery, I personally was NOT up the next day, it took me 4 days to even drive, I was sore. My insurance gave me 6 weeks off and I took every day of it.

On the other hand, I have friends that went shopping the next day !!! WHOAH LOLOL, my friend here at work came back after 1 week because she didn't have any sick time left, but she felt fine. The one thing I will say is you must listen to your doctors advice regarding exercising and/or lifting things, the last thing you want to do is injure your insides. The first 6 - 8 weeks after surgery should be about healing your body and not exercise or losing weight. Please remember that and don't get frustrated.

Hope this helps
  • Thank you for. The advice. It is scary and exciting. I have help the first few days. After that I will take it slow.
  • Quote: Thank you for. The advice. It is scary and exciting. I have help the first few days. After that I will take it slow.
    I'm glad you will have support, it is so important physically and mentally

Yes, scary AND exciting
  • Quote: I have my lapband surgery Aug 11,10 I am a little nervous about the surgery. I have a 2 1/2 year old 2 16 yrs old and a part time caregiver for my dad . My question is are you really up and ready to go the next day ? I am active all the time now. Any suggestions for after surgery would be great help. Thank you
    Congrats to you! I was banded on Friday. Yesterday I was able to hold my baby a little, feed him and rock him to sleep. Today I've done a little light housework. I can care for my all 3 of my kids as long as I have a little help from my MIL, MOM or DH. So it's not too bad. My 9 year old is a big help also.