Does the amount of fat in your diet count?

You're on Page 2 of 2
Go to
  • Misti,
    Thanks, I'm glad I could be of help. I probably think of things a little differently than most people, since I have a degree in biology. Most people just think about losing weight and don't really think about how it happens or what happens to thier bodies. I think about more than just losing weight, but what exactly goes on in the body from every aspect. Everyone is always concerned about their weight, bu the scale isn't the most important number. I've seen people lose a lot of weight, but also lose so much of their muscle tone that they don't look that much better. I would like to keep my muscle and just lose the fat! I've also seen people that don't eat enough fat have brittle nails, dry hair and skin, and a pale, sallow complexion with dark circles under their eyes. I don't want to be thin, but look like I'm sick.
  • Hi there.... I hope that the fats in olive oil and avocado are not detrimental fats?
  • The fat in olive oil and avocado are not detrimental, they are actually the best kind, monounsaturated.
  • No, they are the "good" fats. As was mentioned earlier, they are monounsaturated fats. One that I use, that wasn't mentioned yet is flax oil and seeds.

Also wanted to mention one of the benefits of "mono" as opposed to "poly" fats is that the mono fats actually increase the "good" cholesterol while decreasing the "bad" cholesterol. The poly fats simply decrease all cholesterol, not exactly the optimum situation.