Cool Runners #2 May 2006

You're on Page 3 of 7
Go to
  • Only me, I think my brain is shutting down. I've lost a padlock that I use at the gym/pool, today I left my wheel in the parking lot at work (recovered with only minor damage), and the house has gone to H-E-double hockey sticks. Tonight I *forgot to make and eat dinner* until DH reminded me. Really. I just got back the card I sent to my mother for mother's day, because I put my zip code on it for the address. Apparently I told the dog in all seriousness to quit staring at me this morning. I have a difficult time holding a conversation that is more than 2 minutes long. I think if I was able to comprehend what I am doing, I'd just collapse. I'm hoping this is normal. I only work part-time now, or I would collapse.

Ilene, good on you for getting out there.

Iowasteph, great for you on 30 minutes. A milestone. Accomplishments breed accomplishments, so yes, it will transfer.

I'm going out tomorrow bright and early. If I remember.

Anne
  • Oh Anne - I hope this is only sleep deprivation/fatigue. My DH has had similar problems when he doesn't get enough sleep. to you. I'm in awe of how much you do with a new baby!
  • Thanks for the support Pat. Today I overslept and missed my run. Tomorrow is biking again, so I'll do my Friday run, only 2 miles, but it is supposed to be short so I have some left for Saturday's race. Here's hoping I don't sleep through that.

Anne
  • I hope you gals don't mind me jumping in here.

I am 24 (about to be 25) and running for the first time. Running is the hardest thing I have ever done, and usually those things that are hard for me to do are the ones that will help me the most - I am always up for a challenge. I am on wk3d3 of the couch to 5k program from coolrunning.com. Everytime I run I can feel my body getting more accustomed to it and my endurance building.

That being said nice to meet you all
  • Hey Stephie ..... Glad to see you're enjoying the running as much as the rest of us
  • I haven't ran since I last posted... I got a temp job and somehow slacked off on exercise over the last few days. But I'm going for a run tomorrow morning, and hopefully there will be no nasty stitches this time! Looking forward to it.
  • I haven't posted in awhile but I have my first 10-k coming up next weekend so wish me luck. I did 4.75 miles on the treadmill this morning and will do a longer run on Sunday to prepare. I don't plan on placing anywhere near the top, just finishing will be a good goal.
  • I have my 5k on saturday. I havent done a very good job of preparing, and as such, my goal is to finish in under 45 minutes (basically as long as i don't walk the entire thing, i should be ok). I have had some emotional issues get in the way and i look forward to getting my head on straight, getting into a routine, and then signing up for another race to see what i can do!
  • Anne, I think it's all pretty normal. Your baby's still pretty young and you have a lot on your plate. Once they hit 2 or 3, the sleep deprivation thing does seem to ease up, but you get a whole new set of challenges. My youngest is about 2.5 and I feel like I actually get enough sleep most of the time now. Although dh did sent the cheques to the wrong oil company last month (he changed suppliers last year) (luckily they mailed them back instead of cashing them!), so maybe I've just transfered the total exhaustion to him. Good luck again this weekend!

Liz, good luck with your 10k race. You'll do fine. You've got lots of race experience, this one is just a bit longer.

eadavenp, good luck with your 5k. I hope you meet your goal and surprise yourself.

Day off for me today, after 10k tuesday and 5.5k with my dds in a double stroller yesterday. I think my legs have finally recovered from the race and my arms have recovered from shovelling soil and spreading it all over the yard. Up for this weekend, a 10k run at marathon pace, a 16k long run, and planting grass seed in my backyard.
  • Anne--too funny! I hope your back into the swing of things soon! I have brain "lapses" every once in a while too!

I jogged 30 minutes today on the indoor track. It's not too bad, as far as indoor tracks are concerned. It's 5.5 laps for a mile. I'd rather be outside, but it served it's purpose. It's so incredibly windy outside that I could hardly walk to my car let alone go running! lol

Have a good weekend.
  • I had a great run this morning 1.6 miles at an 11:15 min/mile pace, then a little walk break and the last half mile just a touch faster. Tomorrow is my splash n dash so today was 'easy'.

Everyone is racing! Liz, good luck on that 10K. eadavenp, I know you're going to do just fine with your 5K.

Happy running everyone.

Anne
  • Anne, I read somewhere that it's very normal to have memory problems the first year or so after having a baby. It is hormonal and sleep deprivation...

I had a very good run yesterday, we did 10k... I finally gave in and wore goggles to run ... I have VERY VERY sensitive eyes to dust and light due to some eye problems, plus I wear gas permeable rigid contact lenses to help correct my eye problem. I wear wrap around sport sunglasses 99% of the time, rain or shine outside. During the last couple of runs the wind had been sooooo strong that I could barely open my eyes even with my good sunglasses, so I broke down and wore my sports goggles... No one noticed until I mentionned it because I was wearing a baseball cap... I made my run 100% more pleasant. Nothing like running with one eye closed and one eye running streams of tears to really put a damper on a good run... So I'm going to wear them from now on specially on windy days....
  • Thanks Ilene. I'm hoping it passes and making lots of notes to myself in the meantime.

I did my Splash n Dash today. Swam 750 m in 19:45 s, not a great time but since it was my first time in a wetsuit in 2 years, I'll take it. I had a quick 3 min transition and then out to the 4K run. It was 2 out and backs, 1K each way, with a water station at each end. I ran hard, walked at the water stations to get some fluids in, and then had one little walk break near the end, since my HR was sky high and I was feeling, well, BAD. But I did the run in 30m3s, which works out to just about 12 min/mile.

Now I am tired, but have to run to a baby shower. Ah well.

Anne
  • Hello Everyone,

I have been running for 14 years.

Yesterday I ran 3 miles and today 3.5.

I run four days a week: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sunday.

On Monday, Wednesday and Friday I have been lifting light weights and yoga.

I find if I try to run more days in the week I don't enjoy running it is more like work.

I hope everyone is having a wonderful Mother's Day!
  • Congratulations Anne! It sounds like you had a good race.

I managed my 10k at pace today, but only ran 14.5k this afternoon instead of 16. It was 21C/70F, sunny and windy. I didn't think to bring any water (or money to buy water) with me since I'm so used to running in the morning and in much cooler weather. I was wishing I'd brought water by about 4k. I did stop at a water fountain around 10k, but I found it uncomfortably hot most of the time. I know that's not hot for a lot of you, but I'm used to running at 10C or less and I only keep my house around 17C most of the winter, so 20/70 and sun is HOT for me right now.

Hi Makeje. Welcome!

Ilene, I can relate to the windy days. This afternoon it was "only" 35kmh with gusts to 45. I'm so used to it that it only felt a little windy and I enjoyed the breeze! I'm lucky not to have to deal with allergies though. The googles are a great idea.