How Much Exercise is Necessary?

• It's been roughly two months since I met my weight goal. My new goal is to achieve as much of the ideal lean, toned body as my genetics allow.

I currently work out six to seven days a week, an hour and a half to two hours a day, cardio every day and strength/resistance training every other day. My body continues to change and I am pleased with my progress, slow and incremental though it may be.

Now, my husband wants me to take weekends off. If I do that, then I will only be exercising five days a week. Is five days a week too little to achieve the goal I'm after?

Regards,

~Silvervixen
  • IMHO if you are exercising for almost 2 hours 5 days/week that is more than enough to maintain your loss... I often take 3 days off and I have no problems. If I miss 4 days I make up by adding more intensity to the workouts either by doing interval cardio or lifting heavier weights or even exercising twice/day once in the morning and at night...
  • I usually take at least 2 days a week off from lifting, and 2 days off from cardio. I don't do any cardio on "leg day", so I take one weekend day off completely. Of course, that doesn't mean I can't go for a bike ride, go rollerblading, or (yuck) do yardwork!

Mel
  • 2 hours, 6-7 days a week is a lot of exercise, maybe to the point of overtraining.

You could cut that down to an hour 5 days a week without any problems. You could also alternate cardio and lifting days. The key is consistency and intensity. When you do cardio, alternate moderate and high intensity workouts. When you do lifting, rotate your workouts between low, moderate and high weights. That way you are getting the benefits from each type of workout, and your body has enough recovery time in between.

More important, is your diet and nutrition. Since you have met your weight goal, your caloric need has decreased. Make sure, you don't start eating more than you need, and you should be able to maintain your goal, while still shaping your body.

Hope this helps...