Taco Salad

• This is a more SB friendly version of a Taco Salad that I had when I was growing up. The original version used Fritos (which I substituted with WW pita) and Catalina dressing (just posted a SF version under phase 1 miscellaneous). I really had a craving for this salad last week, so I started tracking down how to modify it.

Taco Salad

1/4 pound lean ground beef
    1/4 package Taco Seasoning mix (I used McCormicks - didn't see sugar among the ingredients list)
    6 cups torn lettuce
    1 cup canned chili beans
    1/2 cup lowfat shredded cheddar cheese
    1 whole wheat pita bread, toasted
    4 tablespoons SB friendly Catalina Dressing (posted under Miscellaneous Phase 1 recipes)

Split the pita in half so that it's a single layer and cut into pieces however you like it - wedges, strips, or just tear into pieces. Toast bread until crispy, like the consistency of tortilla chips.

Brown the ground beef with the taco seasoning until fully cooked. Let cool a little bit.

Combine lettuce, beef, chili beans, cheddar, and dressing. Toss to combine. Top with toasted pita chips.

2 servings
    Nutritional info, including the info for the Catalina Dressing (run through MasterCook):
    418 calories, 17 grams fat (I believe this will be less if you use extra lean ground beef), 23 grams protein, 45 grams carbs, 11 grams fiber, 27 mg cholesterol