Gastric Sleeve

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Hello everyone.. I am wondering if anyone has had sleeve gasterectomy done? I am scheduled to have this surgery next week and I am FREAKING OUT! I had so many talks with my doctor, but I want to hear it from someone who actually did it.

I considered WLS about 2- 3 years ago, I did all the pre-op work and was actually scheduled to do it, but then I chickened out and cancelled convincing myself that I would do it on my own. I did well at first, lost a few pounds but then my weight went up steadily and now I am 286 lbs (if i remember right, I was about 250 a couple of years back).

The reason I re-considered surgery now is that initially I thought because of my degree of obesity, and my messed up mind, the only type of surgery that would work for me is the malabsorptive type (DS, RNY.. etc) and I was tooo afraid of the complicated procedure and I already have IBS I knew I couldn't handle any disturbances in my GI cuz it was annoying as it is! So then, my current doctor told me I could do this kind of surgery, which won't take long and could either be stand alone or first part of a 2 phase surgery (I could convert to DS once I reach a safer weight to re-operate on). I am hoping that I would do well with just this surgery.. I have never had surgery before in my life..

I am really scared that I would mess this up, cuz it's all in my head, I eat even when am full.. Am also worried about all kinds of complications (leaks.. not waking up from anesthesia.. aaargghhhhhhhh....)... But I really want this to work because if I keep doing what I am doing, I am sure I will die of a heart attack before I even reach 30!

Would somebody who had this surgery tell me what to expect and how are they doing with it??

Thanks alot!!

P.S. Please do tell before the 19th! I'll be on the table then
  • oh wow!!!! i wish i could help - but i've never heard of this... i'll have to do some research and get back to you...
  • Looks like no one knows about this surgery

The bad news is, I work at the hospital where I am going to have my surgery done, and the other day I was going to see a patient in the ICU when I saw that other patient, I know it's wrong, but I looked at her chart.. turns out she is my age.. my weight.. done the same surgery I plan to do.. by the same doctor.. and is here with a leak! I remember asking him about leaks and he said that ever since they used the new staples it almost never happens, this girl had her surgery in a different hospital where the doctor was visiting so I am thinking it might be the staples.. but as the time for surgery is gets closer, I am getting more worried and my anxiety is at sky high level!! What if I keep eating the old way and never lose weight, just end up with the pain and risk of surgery for no reason?! What if something goes terribly wrong during OR..! Why don't I just do it the "right way"!!

God am so scared! HELP!
  • Have you done any research on the internet? I had a quick look at and it looks a safe and proven procedure. Have you had a second opinion? I have never had WLS surgery (though I did consider it), and I'm a nightmare for anaethetists (the one I had for my last big procedure hated me, gave him nothing but trouble) which is why WLS wasn't for me.

Is it the procedure worrying you or WLS in general? Is this really the end of the road for you, or do you feel with the right support and advice you could still lose weight in other ways?

It's such a personal decision. No procedure is without risk, and perhaps its unfortunate that you came across that particular patient, or maybe it's good because its made you look again at the risks.

It's a huge decision, but you will find the right answer for you, I am confident of that.
  • I did a lot of search, I even saw a video of the surgery... It looks ok, actually it looks like the best there is for me.. I asked quiet a few doctors, and they all recommended it and praised that doctor.

The past few months have been really terrible for me, I felt like I have really lost it and unless I do something drastic to push myself, I won't be able to lose weight and become healthy. I would love to try again, and this is what I have been telling myself the past few days, why don't I just go to the gym and control what I eat and lose nicely without having to worry about surgery, but I have been down that road time and time again.. I feel like I have given up on myself. But then when I think this way, I feel like if I have really given up on myself, then even the surgery won't work for me cuz there's still alot of work involved and that just puts me in a no win situation. This is all made worse by the hunger am feeling from not being able to eat anything for a while, since I have to only drink fluids (it's only been 4 days!) and it's really depressing me..

BTW- I can't help but notice you have finally made it to ONEderland!! CONGRATULATIONS! That must be great and you know.. it's people like you who make me feel like there is a way to do it even without WLS, and you started out at a higher weight (although I am quiet short, I am bearly 5' 1'').. Way to go Kykaree!!!!
  • Della... I've never heard of gastric sleeve either. But I firmly believe that attitude has a lot to do with recovery in any surgery. It took me a year to decide to do it. Once I made the decision it took 5 more months for it to become a reality. In those 5 months I only had one day of stress about it. That was 3 days before surgery. And really that wasn't about the surgery itself. I was stressed about giving up the food I loved and whether or not I could do it. I liked the analogy someone gave on another thread about the roller coaster. That's exactly how I felt that day because I knew once I got on that roller coaster there would be no turning back. Then I realized that's exactly why I considered this surgery to begin with...there would be no turning back!. After that I was ok again. Before I made the decision nobody could have talked me into it. After I made the decision nobody could talk me out of it. I knew it was the right thing for me. As others have said this is a very personal decision and my prayers are with you. There are no guarantees in this life and I know you will make the decision that is right for you.

There are some very wise people who post here. And they are right. This is not an easy road we travel. And it is a journey that has many sides to it. And one of them is psychological. The reasons we ate ourselves to this state have to be dealt with. And we have to be willing to give up our payoffs. Have you had any counseling regarding these issues? If not, I recommend getting some. Sometimes the fears lurking in our subconscious are not recognized for what they really are and what they are really about.

I hope you find peace whatever your decision.
  • magi speaks lots of wisdom. and unfortunately, i have a plane to catch right now - it's party time at a friend's wedding!!!!

there's no harm in delaying the surgery until YOU feel that you have a grip on your food issues, and have become comfortable - or at least resigned!!! - to a regular exercise routine. no matter what happens - surgery or not - it's essential to resolve these issues, and to be able to deal with emotions without eating.
  • I read that roller coaster thread and it's so true for me! And Magi, thanks for your post, because you made me realize that what was upsetting me the most is not the surgery itself, but rather giving up the food! Usually when I am nervous, I eat, and with the surgery coming up, I surely was nervous, but I couldn't eat and that was making me irritable and annoyed.. Having this figured out, I feel more comfortable now and confident in my decision..

48 hours to the surgery now.. I don't think I will delay it because now is the time.. Thanks to everyone for their support, please keep me in your prayers!
  • Della.. Good Luck !! Let us know how you're doing.
  • Quote: I read that roller coaster thread and it's so true for me! And Magi, thanks for your post, because you made me realize that what was upsetting me the most is not the surgery itself, but rather giving up the food! Usually when I am nervous, I eat, and with the surgery coming up, I surely was nervous, but I couldn't eat and that was making me irritable and annoyed.. Having this figured out, I feel more comfortable now and confident in my decision..

48 hours to the surgery now.. I don't think I will delay it because now is the time.. Thanks to everyone for their support, please keep me in your prayers!
    I don't know how I missed this.

This is a huge insight Della. A critical one by the sounds of it and I hope your new comfort and confidence carried you well through the day today.

I'll be looking for updates and praying for your comfort too.
  • I was able to find this in a search for gastric sleeve:

Credit: Columbia University Department of Surgery

Sleeve gastrectomy is a new procedure that induces weight loss by restricting food intake. With this procedure, the surgeon removes approximately 60 percent of the stomach laparoscopically so that the stomach takes the shape of a tube or "sleeve." This procedure is usually performed on superobese or high risk patients with the intention of performing another surgery at a later time. The second procedure can either be a gastric bypass or duodenal switch.

Expected Weight Loss

This combined approach has tremendously decreased the risk of weight loss surgery for specific groups of patients, even when the risk of the two surgeries is added. Most patients can expect to lose 30 to 50% of their excess body weight over a 6 - 12 month period with the sleeve gastrectomy alone. The timing of the second procedure will vary according to the degree of weight loss, typically 6 - 18 months.

And this is an idea of what the stomach looks like post-op:

• great info, LAnne - sounds like it will help lots of people.. and if the weight loss can be maintained, then there might not be a need to do the bypass surgery. and if it can't be maintained, then there's still another choice.

soooo, della - we've all learned a HUGE amount from having you around... thank you!!!!
  • Hi Della

I noticed you were posting on here about a year ago - I wonder if you will see this now. I am considering having the gastric sleeve and would love to talk to you about it. Find out how you're doing a year on.
  • Hi Leed.. I lost quite a bit of weight (I was 286, now I am around 150), and it feels GREAT, I dress better, I move more easily and I definetly feel better! The flipside, I lost 2/3 of my hair, I have dark circles under my eyes (probably not from WLS because I had Lasik surgery at around the same time), and very recently my weight stalled and I have streched my stomach that I now can eat more, which is making weight loss even more difficult (am not quiet at my goal yet!).
    So my advice to you: It works, but you have to be dedicated to make sure you get enough protein and minerals, especially zinc, to keep your energy levels and prevent hair loss. Additionally, try to work on figuring out ways to cope with stress/emotion other than eating. Although this was my goal, I never reached it and now it's only my small stomach that is preventing me from overeating, but with continued attempts, I feel like am very close to going back to my old eating habits. Last thing, push yourself to exercise, this the one thing am a biggest failure at!!
    Good luck to you and don't hesitate if you have more detailed questions.
    D.
  • Della,
    Congratulations on your weight loss.

Just curious, did you happen to have any complications with your surgery? Or anything unique experiences that those with other forms of WLS might not have?