Thank heavens-TOM

• Hi thank you lord Tom showed up and this is my second one after having thrd baby! I skipped a month. So naturally scared to death. I am still nursing 6 mo. so that is prob where I am not reg??? I was wondering why scale has been all over the place the past few days! Anyone else not reg due to nursing a baby? And how much weight can you expect is TOM weight?
  • Oddly, breastfeeding is about the only thing that keeps my periods regular, but from what I've heard & read it's much more common for them to be irregular, especially when they're first coming back. Of course, outside of the one period I had between giving birth to Linda & getting pregnant with Esther I haven't had a period since early 2003, so I'm hardly an expert!
  • I didn't have reg periods before I got pg, so I'm no help. My period started back 6 weeks post-partum. Then I started the mini pill, and now I have occasional breakthrough bleeding, not real TOM. For me, TOM usually adds 1-2 lbs. Each woman is different though. Some don't gain anything, and some gain much more.
  • When you are breastfeeding, you may or may not have regular cycles. However, the fact that you have had any cycles means that you are likely ovulating, so if you don't want to get pregnant, you might want to use some form of birth control...for your peace of mind.
  • thank you all. We do use condoms everytime. but thinking of adding something else too. I am breastfeeding so don't want the pill. any sugg?? I used a midwife with Chloe and loved her! Had all natural childbirth!! I wouldn't have been able to do it without her!! So I admire you midwife!!!! Your job is so important!
  • Buy Taking Charge of Your Fertility. Learn Natural Family Planning. I am 100% convinced that birth control pills aggravated my PCOS (I had only occasional missed periods before going on them, and otherwise only mild symptoms, but once I came off them my body went nuts; I seriously gained like 12 pounds in a month and started getting hair in odd places). I won't touch hormonal birth control these days. NFP is based off two things: you can only get pregnant during a very few days of your cycle, and sperm live only so long. It's not 100%, nothing short of abstinence is, but when done properly it is as effective as condoms. Of course, when you mess up it's as ineffective as anything else you mess up, as the baby drooling on my lap right now effectively illustrates.

It might be worth your while to contact your midwife & ask if she knows of any NFP classes coming up in your area. If you're either Christian or OK with Christians, my understanding is the Couple to Couple League often offers NFP classes.
  • Quote: Hi thank you lord Tom showed up and this is my second one after having thrd baby! I skipped a month. So naturally scared to death. I am still nursing 6 mo. so that is prob where I am not reg??? I was wondering why scale has been all over the place the past few days! Anyone else not reg due to nursing a baby? And how much weight can you expect is TOM weight?

Congrats on your baby. I could count on both hands the number of periods I have had since I was 17..and I am 25 now. I generally don't get my period while I am nursing at all..usually around 18 months or so I start up again..and I continue nursing until past 2. So, for my body, even when my babies are sleeping at night and eating solids..no cycle. I have never been regular while nursing..try not to fret about it. I have also taken Natural Family planning classes..these are very effective and can be used to achieve or avoid pregnancy. I took mine through the local catholic church, even though I am not catholic..very nice classes. It helps me to gauge when my fertility may be returning. I second the recommendation for the book Taking Charge of your Fertility.

I would up your water/fluids to help with the TOM weight gain..but even if you gain due to TOM it will be gone in a week or so.

Later!
  • Quote: but once I came off them my body went nuts; I seriously gained like 12 pounds in a month and started getting hair in odd places). I won't touch hormonal birth control these days. NFP is based off two things: you can only get pregnant during a very few days of your cycle, and sperm live only so long. It's not 100%, nothing short of abstinence is, but when done properly it is as effective as condoms. Of course, when you mess up it's as ineffective as anything else you mess up, as the baby drooling on my lap right now effectively illustrates.

LMAO.. too funny about the drooling baby on your lap illustration..true enough! I also agree with you about the hormonal birth control..I cant touch the stuff..nor have any desire to!
  • Quote: I second the recommendation for the book Taking Charge of your Fertility.
    I third it! Before my pg, I was on BCP and had to wait 3 cycles w/o it before TTC. We use NFP to avoid while waiting, then to conceive when we were ready. Right now I'm on the minipill and will do that until dd starts solids. Then I'm going back to NFP. I actually liked being on BCP because it was the only time my periods were regular. But now that I've learned NFP, I can figure out when I can expect TOM.
  • That is the weird thing this time around I think my body started haveing cycles again because I have been nursing for almost three years. I stopped nursing Kaylee the day Chloe was born. But, unlike Kaylee Chloe takes supplements in between nursing throughout the day. But, would prefer nursing anyday. Thank-you for all of your kind advice. I will def check out those nfp classes.
  • Sorry to be so late in replying Amyz! I love being a midwife and I am glad that you had such a wonderful birth.

There is a kind of birth control pill you can take while breastfeeding. It is a progesterone only pill, and won't mess with your milk supply or bother the kiddo.

IUDs are also a great option. There is a nonhormonal copper one called the paragard that can be in place for 10 years. You cycle normally but some women report heavier and crampier periods.

The IUD with hormones is called the Mirena. Good for 5 years, more effective than a tubal ligation, It has progesterone in it that thins the uterine lining so that most women stop having menses, which is fine.

IUDs can some out sooner than the 10 or 5 years if you would like another kiddo. The challenge with NFP while breastfeeding is that your cycles can be a little irregular and ovulation can be difficult to predict. Lots of women love NFP though and it can work well.

Good luck!