Puddings - A couple of quick questions?

• Ok I am back on the beach. I am wondering about a couple of new products out on the market if they are PH1 friendly

No Sugar added Tapioca
    No Sugar added Jello pudding

I just need to know so I can plan well in advance for those sweet cravings that come at 8pm!!
    Thanks
  • I bet they all contain cornstarch which is not allowed on Phase I. I can't find the ingredients via Google. Perhaps you could post them.

You CAN have SF Jellos. I sometimes make them by dissolving the powder in 1/2 cup of hot water and then adding a cup and a half of milk of yogurt. They taste very "pudd" .
  • I don't think tapioca is allowed. I'm pretty sure it is a starch but I can't find my GFGC book right now. My box of tapioca (I used to use it in crockpot recipes) says it is 100% tapioca. Nothing else is listed on the ingredients. I know there is a reason that I haven't been using it since I started on SB.

The pudding does have starches which aren't allowed in phase 1 but you can have them in phase 2. I prefer to make my own so that I can use skim milk. I have yet to find the no sugar added pudding in a skim milk format.
  • Here is the info for the Pudding
    Ingredients: WATER, XYLITOL, MODIFIED FOOD STARCH, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, MILK PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, CONTAINS LESS THAN 1.5% OF HYDROGENATED VEGETABLE OIL (COCONUT AND PALM KERNEL OILS), SALT, SODIUM STEAROYL LACTYLATE (FOR SMOOTH TEXTURE), SODIUM ALGINATE, SUCRALOSE AND ACESULFAME POTASSIUM (SWEETENERS), NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, ARTIFICIAL COLOR.

Size: 22.4 oz
    Upc: 4300096072Amount Per Serving

Calories 60 Calories from Fat 10

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 1.5g 2 %

Saturated Fat 1g 5 %

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 0mg 0 %

Sodium 180mg 8 %

Total Carbohydrate 14g 5 %

Dietary Fiber 1g 4 %

Sugars 0g

Protein 2g
  • Tapiocca
    Serving Size 1/2 cup

Amount Per Serving

Calories 90
    Calories from fat 30

% Daily Value*

Total Fat 3g
    5%

Saturated Fat 2g
    10%

Trans Fat 0g

Cholesterol 15mg
    4%

Sodium 140mg
    6%

Total Carbohydrate 11g
    4%

Dietary Fiber 4g
    16%

Sugars 5g

Protein 3g

Vitamin A 2%

Vitamin C 2%

Calcium 10%

Iron 0%
    Ingredients: Milk, tapioca, water, inulin (natural chicory root extract), egg whites, modified tapioca starch, natural vanilla flavor with other natural flavors, salt, sucralose (Splenda® Brand non-nutritive sweetener).
    Thank you
  • Anyone out there?
  • This might help:

Tapioca is basically a root starch derived from the cassava, or yuca plant. It's often used to thicken soups and sweeten the flavor of baked goods, and it makes a dandy pudding.
    The cassava plant is native to South America and the West Indies, where its thick, fibrous roots are used in a variety of forms: bread flour, laundry starch, an alcoholic brew, and of course, tapioca pudding.

Doesn't sound like a Phase I food.
  • Thanks Healthy
  • Yeah, they both have modified food starch, making them Phase 2.