Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Closed Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 11:03 PM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Cool Cool Runners #24 March 2006

New month, new thread
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 AM   #2  
Running Wild

i started my month off with a run outside yesterday. sunny and 83 deg. no wind, so it was good. only did 3.3 miles. however i did finally figure out my Garmin and that makes me so happy!!! today is a day off due to school this evening.
Old 03-02-2006, 03:09 PM   #3  
Running Wild

ok runners!! i need some advice...shin splints? how to heal and what causes have you seen? my friend has them and shes in pain.

i figure she needs better shoes...but any other advice would be most helpful!!

oh and here are my first 10K pictures: http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_...345&S=230&PWD=

Last edited by JustJuneBug; 03-02-2006 at 06:09 PM.
Old 03-02-2006, 06:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

The deep freeze has lifted somewhat. Today it was merely cold (-7C) and sunny. I ran 10.5k before walking ds home from school. He's getting really excited about March break (or semaine de relâche as he insists on calling it) next week.

JJB, have fun figuring out your garmin. I like racing the little virtual training partner guy sometimes when I have a time/pace goal for a run. I'm sorry, I know nothing about shin splints to help your friend.
Old 03-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

JJB -- You looks so cute, and those leg muscles awesome!! The only thing I know about shin splints is to ice them to relieve the pain , sorry not much help here...

Only Me -- It was a nice day here too, just cold... Yea, I can't wait for "la semaine de relâche" , ours starts on the 13th though ...

I had a good 7.7 run tonight...
Old 03-02-2006, 07:38 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Just found this on shin splints
Old 03-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #7  
soon to be goddess

S/C/G: 236/216/17?

Height: 5'7"

JustJune.....You look awesome at the finish line!!! What an excillerating feeling!!! and in the rain!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 09:20 AM   #8  
Running Wild

thanks everyone for the kudos on the pics!

i think my friend is having those shin problems because she just started running and also her shoes!!

its a 4 mile day for me today!!!
Old 03-03-2006, 10:24 AM   #9  
Caden's Mommy

Height: 5'7

Junebug - those are great pics

I'd post mine but I just look like I'm in pain and unhappy - lol

finally had a chance to run this morning - my first since the Half. It went ok - only ran 3.5 miles this morning.

DH and i have an 8K (5 mi) in 2 weeks so I'll get back to it and get ready for that one. My goal for this one is under 43 min (~ 8:30/mile pace)

Have a great weekend
Old 03-03-2006, 12:44 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 198/150/140

Lucky, it was the Cowtown that I was talking about. That is great news about your finish! Maybe someday I will compete in a half....

Today I did 3.25 on the treadmill with increasing speeds.
Old 03-03-2006, 01:00 PM   #11  

JJB you look so fab and comfortable on your run, even though you can't have been!!!

I spent a fortune on my running shoes, a tenth of my monthly salary in fact. And they are fab!!!

Advice, I am doing a 10k on June 11, anyways, my employer has places in one in my home town in May about 3 weeks before. Should I do both? I have never run an event before, and am really nervous about the one in London. This one coming up in May is on streets I am familiar with, and I think it will give me more confidence, but will I be taking on too much???
Old 03-03-2006, 01:49 PM   #12  
YP1
Sub-4 marathon runner!

S/C/G: 260/156/148-152

Height: 5 9

I've replied on UK fat chicks, I think that physically you'll be OK, it depends whether you'll be OK to run both mentally - will you want a bit of a rest from running after the first for example, do you want your first one to be special - and if so will London or Manchester be more special for you personally.

I ran a sub 54 minute 10k on the treadmill this morning which I was very pleased (and surprised with).

And JJB, those are fab photos. I don't have a direct link to mine from Sunday, but I can give anyone who wants to see them instructions for finding them.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:02 PM   #13  

S/C/G: HW160/SW 156/CW125/GW120ish

Height: 5'2"

YP1, your time in the 1/2 marathon would predict a sub 52 minute 10k I think. And since you don't have that much experience with running longer distances, you could probably run it faster than 52 in good race conditions. You're totally underestimating your abilities!

kykaree, I don't think it would be a problem to run both if you think you'll be ready 3 weeks earlier.

JJB, you look much better at the end of the race that I do!

Today is a snowy day off. 20k long run scheduled for tomorrow morning though.
Old 03-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #14  
Ilene the Bean

No snow here today but dang COLD!! I ran to and from the gym and on the way there I thought I was going to turn around, once I got there everyone thought I was NUTS for running in this weather, even if it is only 2.5k there... I worked UB once there and ran really really fast home because the wind was at my back ...
Old 03-03-2006, 05:30 PM   #15  
Running Wild

i would say you could do 2 in a matter of 3 weeks.

i have a 5K on the 18th and an 8K on the 25th and i am worried, but i am gonna do it!! you should be fine!!!!

and yeah money on good shoes is money well spent. my kayano's i got about 3 weeks ago and man I LOVE THEM!!! next pair i am getting a pair of kensei's. i wish i could find them on ebay now, but they are too new... Asics is the brand in case anyone wanted to know.

as far as the pics go, i figured out after my first race to spot the photograhers...so i am ready for them now!! i'm a great actress!! my first race in dec to now there is SO much difference in my body even i cant believe it. makes me keep going though!!!
Closed Thread