Well.. I just suck :o(

• I was doing SO well (see siggy).. but then somehow about 2 weeks ago, I totally fell off track. One thing happened after another... extra work, cranky toddler, bad weather, cold, birthday, Valentine's, crummy fruit/veggies at the market, etc... and off the track I went. I threw myself head first off the train into a field full of frappucino's, cheesecake, carbs, candy, cake... you name it. I went right back into my 'snacking all day for no other reason than that I want to do something with my mouth' routine. Ugh.. I feel like such a failure! I was so good for a whole month and now I don't even want to go near the scale. That was as long as I EVER lasted... EVER.. much longer than I have ever lasted! I am so bummed... I just know I've gained a lot back... and I can feel it.. my hips are just huge... I'm tired... so run down.. blah feeling. I feel so disgusting. I hate this. I want back on the wagon... can someone help me? Please?!

P.S. I reallyyyy need an 'accountability partner' who is online through the day or night and IM's... pleaseeee!!
  • I always wonder when people report a binge after being "SO GOOD." In my experience, binges in my life followed periods of extreme calorie/fat restriction. It's like my body just couldn't take it anymore and forced me to eat the nourishment (in quick energy form of fats/sugars) that it craved.

Don't be discouraged, don't feel like a failure. Clear your house of junk. Sit down at your computer. Use the internet to find recipes for healthy breakfast/lunch/dinner/snacks for 7 days. Go to the store, buy what's on your list. Follow your food plan for 1 week.

Make goals that you CAN achieve:

* Eat 5 different veggies every day
    * Go to bed on time
    * Drink plenty of water
    * Try 2 new recipes this week
    * Exercise 2 times, 30 minutes each

Follow your plan for 1 week, reward yourself with something you that would love - like a pedicure or a new pair of pretty sandals for summer.

After week 1, make an easy to follow plan for week 2. One week increments are doable and not scary at all.
  • Okay, sure, you fell off the wagon. You had your caloric fun and are displeased with yourself for it. So climb back on!! You didn't undo all of the hard work you've done, and now you know more than ever that it's something you DO NOT want to go back to. Keep on trying, honey.
  • And remember everything is relative! In he grand scheme of things, 2 weeks is nothing! I just let 8 months slip by without execise and eating whatever I pleased! It set me back about 15 pounds, but I'm here again. Don't let it drag you down into a pit of despair and hopelessness, just get back on the wagon, plenty of room.
  • This is a lifelong thing..remember...a few weeks won't undo that much damage and is nothing in the big scheme of things. Just forgive yourself and move on.
  • Whoa whoa whoa whoa... first off, you do not *suck*. You made some food and exercise choices that now you wish you hadn't but let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Speaking of babies, you have a wonderful little one and I bet she loves you no matter what. You love her even when she's cranky, right? And she adores you even if you eat the occasional Twinkie.

You've done some marvelous things weight-wise. Pat yourself on the back for that! A blip every now and then doesn't completely obliterate all you've done so far. Ok, you may have gained a bit back. It happens. But, as someone's signature says (can't remember who, and I'm paraphrasing here), "Two steps forward and one step back is still... one step forward".

I like to think when I fall off the wagon, well the wagon just stops. It can't go any further because, hey, I'm the driver! Your wagon is right there waiting for you. And there are lots of folks right here at 3FC ready to help you get back on.

But, before that, let's try a little exercise. Take your left hand and put it on your right shoulder. Now take your left hand and put it on your right shoulder. Tighten those pecs and squeeeeeeze! There -- you've given yourself a big hug! I know, it's corny, but I hope it made you smile .

Feel better, dear! We all stumble, heck it took me all of January just to get started (a sick kid threw me for a loop). I'm all full of enthusiasm right now, but I've no doubt I'll fall off the wagon again at some point. We all do. So don't beat yourself up, ok?

By the way, you said you went about a month without a slip... might TOM have also had an influence in starting your stumble?
  • Quote: "Two steps forward and one step back is still... one step forward".
    That's exactly what I wanted to say!

Ok...so you had a little food festival for the past few weeks. You can't undo that but you can stop it today! Like I was telling someone else, beating yourself up about it won't change the past or make you lose any weight (if it did, I would be minus 1000 pounds by now)

*extends a hand to help you back on the wagon* Let's go! You can sit next to me. Might be a little tight but we should get more comfy as we get closer to the final destination

PS: And take that "it's all history" thing out of your siggy right now missy! You lost a tiny little battle...doesn't mean the cheesecake needs to have the last word. *my attempt at a beating the cake icon*
  • The problem with that kind of attitude is that it leaves you hating yourself. Hating ourselves isn't conducive to weight loss, more to continuing the bad behaviour. After all we don't deserve to be thin do we?

Ok, stop. Bingeing on junk is not good for anyone. Sugar is a poison that makes you want more of it. The more you eat, the more you want. And telling yourself how bad you are, just reinforces that you want more junk.

What I would really suggest to you? There is a book that you can buy and read. I think it would help a lot. It isn't a diet book, it is about the mental processes that we go through when we treat ourselves like you are doing now. It makes you think. Makes you do a lot of self examination. You can buy it online at Flylady.com The book is called "Body Clutter". (A nice word for fat, don't you think?)

I read it in December and it helped me decide to try again when I didn't think I was capable of it. I had been mostly bingeing for almost 2 years, or at least hadn't been spending a lot of time getting back on track. And I think that the concepts or insights I got into myself from the time I read that book until now have helped me stay on track for a couple of months now.

You don't say what sort of diet you are doing. I'm doing Atkins. I love it because I feel full, I avoid sugar, and so don't have to have those constant cravings for "more". Plus I can eat some really wonderful foods on this way of eating and I never have to go hungry, but often find that even with very little food I'm NOT hungry.

If you want some support, I'll be happy to help you. I don't hang out here much though, I'm usually in the Atkins/low carb section.
  • It's easy to do that. I know you are getting back on track, hang in there.
  • All I can say is that you are the one in control. You are the one who decides what you put into your mouth and are aware consequences. What allowed me to stay on track for so long (105 lbs. gone. [65 in 7 months]) is thinking how guilty I felt after eating all the junk. Before I take a bite, I remember that I don't want my self-esteem to be bottom low and that refrains me from overindulging. I must add that I occasionally have a frapuccino even on my once-a-week maintenace day. The important thing is not letting yourself go all the way and climbing back as soon as you can. It's hard, I know, but the outcomes outweigh those satisfying 15 minutes of cheesecake indulgence. We are all here to motivate you and comfort you, but at the end, you will be the one who will have to make the best choices and take personal responsibility when you are on your own. I think we have all been where you are at. I had many failed attempts in losing weight because I just let one slip get me discouraged. Don't get discouraged! Hang in there and you'll arrive sooner than you think to your goal weight.
  • When someone makes a mistake or even purposely does something that has a negative impact on me (friend, boss, family - anybody) it rarely upsets me as long as they handle it properly. As long as they admit they made a mistake, show sincere regret, and take measures to right the wrong I'm fine. I don't even mind if they stand by their actions if they at least acknowledge that they hurt me in the process and show remorse that it had to be that way.

On the other hand, if they act like nothing ever happened, refuse to accept responsibility for what they have done, and make no effort to improve the situation (even if I know they regret their decisions) I get really angry.

I decided long ago that I would apply the same rules to weight loss that I apply to every other area of my life. It has made a huge difference. I don't always make the best food choices or exercise like I should. The reasons don't really matter - a mistake is a mistake even if it is made knowing what the consequences will be. I refuse to let the choices I make upset me. Just as with my friends it is what I do AFTER those mistakes are made that determine whether or not I will successfully lose weight.

You fell back into your old habits for a couple of weeks. So what? Those two weeks aren't going to keep you from reaching your goal. Letting those two weeks bring you down to the point that you don't bother trying to lose weight from here on out WILL keep you from reaching your goal. I know it feels like an emotional situation but it really isn't. Put your self esteem aside for a moment and decide LOGICALLY, not EMOTIONALLY, how you want to behave from this point forward. If you want back on the wagon - get on. It really is that simple if you use your brain and not your feelings to make the decision to do so. If you do decide that you want to continue losing weight reel those emotions back in, forgive youself for past mistakes, and pick up where you left off.