First baby on the way!!

• I just found out that I am pregnant too (about 3 weeks) after only trying for three months. It is our first (we have been married for 9 months) and we are so excited. I am a little nervous though, because we will be moving at the end of August (I'm due in mid October) to a different state, so I'll have to switch doctors and hospitals and be away from all our family. (DH has 4 years of school left...sigh - I already got my bachelor's...) I have CIGNA with my job, so I should be able to continue it a few months through the birth and recovery before I get on his student insurance. I'm glad I don't feel pressure to come back to my job, because I would be quitting anyways, with the move. I am hoping to not work after the birth, except for some video/picture stuff at home, which I really enjoy. Does anyone have advice to ease that eventual transition? (states and doctors) I have two good friends in other states who are labor and delivery nurses, and they're recommending I go with a midwife (knowing how freaked out I get about needles and medical procedures - I want as little of that as possible, though I'm not decided on the epidural thing...). I guess it's time to put a hold on my weight loss efforts and switch to trying to be healthy healthy healthy and not gain more than I should.
  • In most cases there is nothing and no one you will need to have your baby. When they ask my Midwife how many babies she had delivered she would always says two. She only has two daughters. Doctors and Midwifes don't deliver babies women do. No matter what, you will be able to bring your baby into this world. The birth is only part of the story. Eating healthy and staying positive during your pregnancy is also part of the work you will have to do. Most people focus on the birth and it is a lot of work. However, growing a baby for nine months is an amazing work. No matter where you have your baby trust in yourself and your baby’s ability to birth. Congrats!!!
  • Quote:
    Doctors and Midwifes don't deliver babies women do.
    Florists deliver. Women give birth. Midwives are great. If you don't like overly medical stuff, look for a homebirth midwife (lay midwives are great in my opinion, but I know not all will agree there, & you do have to be picky about how they were licensed) and look into Bradley or Hypnobirthing classes.

In general--educate yourself. Realize that you have a legal right to refuse any medical intervention. Talk to your birth attendant ahead of time and make sure you're on the same wavelength. Hire a doula if you can--she will advocate for you during your birth, and can also be your coach, and that will free your husband up to be support. (I think a lot of us lose sight of the fact that childbirth is as much a lifechanging event for men as it is for us.)
  • That was extremely rude and unnecessary. I'll stay away. SORRY!!!! You know exactly what I meant!
  • Um, yeah, I know exactly what you meant, but apparently you misinterpreted me. I was agreeing with you, actually.
  • Congrats
  • congratulations!!! I hope you have a H&H9months
  • Thanks for the well wishes and support! I know it will be fine (switching states) I just wondered if anyone had done it recently! I have some friends who are labor & delivery nurses who know a lot of the doctors/midwifes I might choose from, so I'll make sure to get their opinions.
  • Good to have friends in the know.
  • Doing well at week 5, but the "morning" sickness is starting to get to me. No bathroom visits, just an almost constant feeling of "yuckiness." Ginger snaps seem to help a little, but I cannot eat 4-5 cookies a day for the next 3 months.. ;-) I try not to let my stomach get empty, but I feel sick anyway. No specific foods get to me, or even smells. I just don't feel well! Any suggestions? Anyone had this kind of ms? First doctor's appt this afternoon - a little too nervous, because I don't do needles well... (yet) yikes!
  • No, never had that kind of morning sickness. I wish I had! I have heard that sucking on a lemon wedge can help. Likewise, mint is supposed to help, like Marbear said, and really, really cold water would help me a little. Lots of people say Sea Bands work, but they didn't for me.
  • Congratulations on your upcoming bundle of joy. I always kept a pack of graham crackers on hand, or ff soda crackers to curb the nausea. For some reason those always seemed to help. I don't know if you can get these where you live (or if you would even want to try them), but dried lemon peel (like Chinese style "crack seed") always helped me. I live in HI where these things are plentiful, just a little bite of the peel and voila, I was all better. I guess sucking on a lemon wedge would have the same effect. Maybe you can try some decaf hot tea w/lemon?

Take heart, most people get over morning sickness after the first trimester--note, I said "most" people. I know others will come after me and say they experienced it throughout. Good luck and enjoy this time w/your hubby while you can.
  • Congrats to you!!
  • Thanks for your advise and encouraging words! The doctor's appointment went well. He did a vaginal ultrasound (which I had not heard of) and I got to see the little sac the baby is in. He said it might be a little early (I am 6 weeks) to see the heartbeat, so they took blood yesterday (an experience) and they will again Thursday afternoon to make sure my Hcg levels are doubling nicely. I can't help but be a little anxious until I hear that everything seems normal, but I am trying to just be happy and deal with the exhaustion and sickness. My doctor said I could try some vitamin B6 too, which I had not connected with "morning" sickness. I will try to get some today...