Body For Life For Women Clublette (BFLFWC)

You're on Page 3 of 9
Go to
  • Yea, E, I was surprised about the bars she listed. My no refined sugar protein drink is useful and safe for my blood sugar, but most of the bars she listed have a lot of sugar in them. I feel they are not much better than a candy bar, with the exception of EAS bars (were those listed, I'm not sure right now, not where the book is). But even the EAS ones have a lot of ingredients that I don't eat. When I did the original BFL, I was buying those by the box and eating too many of 'em. I think sugar free protein powder is fine, but the bars aren't worth it to me.

Your day looks great! You are off to a bang-up start!

I love Boca burgers ... must think about getting some.

My cal count was 1598 yesterday. No really memorable meals after I posted.

Today is Day 33, no refined sugar, Day 12 (I think) BFLFW rotation (Week II), Cardio Day: Did 20 minutes treadmill, 15 minutes recumbant bike, 10 minutes dynamic stretch ('cause I don't feel well, but it helped, I need to remember to add in mind-body work, which is also specified in BFLFW)!

Was strange to be at the gym when the cycle/abs/core/dynamic stretch class was going on as I seem to have bonded so much with that group and the exercises, but it was so good to have my pal Private Petra the Pirate, a fitness hermit who lives in a cave all by herself, peek out from her jungle lair: "Avast," she shouted, "I wanna work out alone!!!! Sis boom 'n bah, rah for me, that's how I be!!!"

~ Signed, Jana the Jungle Lass
  • Cal count UP again, we are not going to talk about it! It's past midnight, so this is Day 34 of No Refined Sugar and Day Something of BFLFW rotation. I am going to bed.
  • Feb. 2--Thursday
    Don't feel alone, A., 'cause my calories were up yesterday too. Even tho I didnt have to work yesterday I found myself fretting over the latest drama at work and let it get to me. Oh well, it's a new day and we have another crack at it. Hoorah!

Coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
    scrambled egg sub w/ brocolli, onions, peppers, 1 slice cheddar
    1 mini. ww bagel
    clementine

ww pita w/ boca burger, spinach, onion, mustard
    zucchini 'fries' w/ fruit-sweet. ketchup
    red pepper stix

1/3 cup unsweet carob chips

homemade mac. and cheese

ww mini. bagel w/ 2 tbsp. peanut butter

See how I started out so strong? You can actually tell when I started to really get into fretting about things, can't you?

water: 6 glasses
    calories: 1700 [actually less than I thought!]
    fruit/vegs: 6 serv.
    vitamins: yes!
    exercise: 35 min. lower body/abs
    30 min. step video
  • February 3, Friday, Day 35 NRS, Whatever BFLFW (Can't seem to get the count right)
    Yo, E! Yes, I think we are twins, as I've been fretting over various stuff all day again and came home early from work, was going to work at home but it's not happening ... cals at 1781 and will try to keep somewhat down, not sure if feasible. I think it's possibly the increased exercise consistency of this challenge that may be making things difficult right now.

Yep, we MUST continue and soldier on. I have to share that since I have started this, I put my "sword" (it's a toy, I've posted about it in the past ... makes a noise and I use it as a talisman for when the dieting gets rough) on my "altar" and before every BFLFW workout session, I give it a swing and it "clanks" ... sets the mood and lets me know I'm on an official program and the coming exercise session is highly important.

I will reiterate a mantra I used a couple of years ago: "I'm a woman on a mission, I AM; I'm a woman on a mission, I AM; I'm a woman on a mission and I'm not just goin' fishin' ... I'm a woman on a mission, I am."

Ibid.

This was lower body day and I did 20 minutes of weights, including abs/core, then a 10 minute walk (it doesn't take long to do lower bod).

On to Saturday!!! If 3FC goes down, I'll report in the other place. See ye!
  • Yippee skippy time!
    It's yippee skippy time, it's yippee skippy time, it's yippee skippy time, it's ... (tune: Howdy Doody Time)!

Have exceeded goal of getting off one pound of the extra I put on in my first BFLFW week.

Don't feel too well today, but still committed and rarin' to go for week 3, luckily, this is my free day from exercise. I have also declared it a no-work zone (though this will put me even further behind where I already am so Monday will be bad, but it won't be the first time ... I am practicing Peeke's prescription of taking time for self-care).

I will get back to reporting cals soon. My average weekly was less than the week before and Vitamin I was up in all the workouts.

Here's a recipe I put together yesterday for some low glycemic bodybuilding bars ... Fake Bodybuilder Brownies, 2 cups porridge oats; 1 egg; 2 scoops SUGAR FREE chocolate 100 whey protein powder; 1/2 cup almond meal flour; 1/4 cup UNSWEETENED applesauce; 1 tsp. baking SODA (not baking powder). Mix ingredients, spread in large cake pan, bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until done, cool, cut into 12 rectangles and freeze in single servings for lunches. Cals per each 80.

Sis boom 'n bah.

No faeries or pirates about. I'm brain-dead, but happy with this program.

How's it goin' E!!!!???
  • Ok, I want my updated sig to show ... forgot it only shows once on a page, so I'm gonna hog the thread a bit ... sorry fellow clubbers.
  • Well, ok, still hogging, but wanted to report that I'm having a fantastic rest day and am so glad Dr. Peeke put it on my schedule 'cause I seem to need permission to rest these days!

Much to my happiness, since I am following the BFLFW sample rotation day by day, there's a cardio day on Monday, which is going to be the 18-hour day from purgatory for me 'cause I'm not working today. So I will do a happy and minimum 30 minute vid and be on my way. Only the first and third weeks on the rotation seem to start off with cardio, odd.

In the words of the immortal Kaylets, "Here we go, Monday, here we go!"

Actually, it's Sunday, but the sentiment applies.

Sis boom 'n bah!!! Rah! Let's get some fire in the belly here and away we go!
  • BFLFW Women, Week 3!

No refined sugar: Day 36!

Completed 30 minutes cardio (Leslie Sansone) ... a lack of Vitamin I today. Personal Trainer Paula the Pirate is swimmin' to shore now with a fresh supply ...

Jana the Jungle Lass is climbin' Mt. Kilamajaro (sp?) today (translation: very long and difficult workday) and she's already sufferin' from altitutude sickness. How does this relate to BFLFW? The challenge is to not lose focus because of a bad day! Hooray!
  • Feb. 3 Friday

Coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
    1/2 ww pita w/ lite cheese, zuccchini
    pineapple chunks and orange wedges

veg. 'chik' patty
    whipped cauliflower
    peas and corn

apple w/ peanut butter, maple syrup

tom.-veg. soup
    ww tortilla w/ lite cream cheese, ff cheese. squash, onions, peppers, spinach
    choc-covered almond butter patty

ww mini bagel w/ peanut butter

water: 6 glasses
    calories: 1615
    exercise: 15 min. pilates
    1 hour treadmill
  • Saturday
    coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
    1 egg, 1/2 cup egg sub., scrambled
    2 spinach pancakes**1 wedge 'laughing cow'
    clementine

1 oz. corn chips w/ 3 tbsp. guacamole
    ww tortilla w/ beans, lots of veg, cheese, salsa

chco. cov'd almond butter patty

ww tortilla w/ humuus
    grapes
    1 ww fruit sweet fig bar

ww mini bagel w/ butter

calories: 1595
    exercise: 25 min. upper body
  • Sunday
    coffee w/ 1/2 and 1/2
    whole grain biscuit w/ egg sub, ff cheese, veg. 'bacon'

nachos [corn chips, beans onions, peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, salsa, cheese, guac, lite cheese]
    DOESN"T THAT SOUND LIKE A GOD-AWFUL MESS??? It was tasty tho!

2 mini ww bagels w/ lite cream cheese

Calories: 1345
    exercise: none
  • Congrats on releasing over a pound into the jungle!
  • Hmmm, no, E, the nachos sound really good. I've been makin' 'em lately with Triscuits (100 percent whole wheat cracker) as I don't eat corn anymore. Great minds think alike!

Thanks for the congrats, but I have to get a grip tomorrow as I've been way over cals all day ... just overworked and outta control, BUT the good part is I'm still focused and committed to this challenge, so I move on.

Your menus look yummy, cals good and exercise primo!!!

Looks like Paula the Pirate doesn't have to pay anyone any visits for awhile and the Jungle lasses can bask in the warm, green fog of their accomplishments!

We won't even MENTION my cal count!

Tomorrow is my lower bod day, I think. Gotta check the schedule ... pronounced SHED-ULE!!!

WE'RE ON THE MARCH!

D'ye think we need a few more members in the Estrogen Squad here?

We'll have to dazzle 'em with our amazing success stories, printed in Jungle Talk Magazine ... then they'll flock to join us!!!

Not that we aren't fun and amazing all by ourselves, but fellow travelers are lovely!

My favorite success story in BFLFW is the lady in her 90s ... I look at that and think, sheesh, if she can accomplish that, what's stoppin' me ... the answer, of course, is that NOTHING is stoppin' me.

We soldier on.
  • Ordered the book in from the system. May be here today. Will see if this is doable for me.

Ceara
  • Huzzah, Ceara!!!! Happy to hear thou mayest be joinin' our Estrogen Squad (the term is used in the book) here in the BFLFW jungle jym ... or whatever it is to each individual club member, 'cause our challenges are personal to us (also a concept in book)! Avast, mate! Climb aboard if thou desirest!!!

[i]Just a quickie a.m. report for this jungle lass before she headeth to the Salt Mine in the Fitness vs. Career Dilemmatic Ocean, to which destination she's temporarily been sentenced by a non-fitness-sympathetic judge for crimes against the state (e.g., poverty). She expecteth Personal Training Pirate Lass Paula to come blazin' in on the BFLFW Take Care o' Self First 'Cause If You Don't Who Will ship!! (That's my interpretation o' part o' the BFLFW concept, everyone be free to disagree ... whee).

Ok, I wrote a lengthy thing here about appreciatin' E's menus and wanting to share that I did eat in the 2800s yesterday. Best meal: garlic grilled chicken with brussel sprouts and mushrooms. Exercise today: Upper body, which for some reason the rotation has on again (20 minutes) and an extra cardio workout following the book's advice to add extra cardio workouts as fitness grows ... but half of my post disappeared.

BFLFW Quote o' the Century: "Don't let 'I don't have time' be your excuse. You say you don't have time to give your body the care it needs? Yes, you do. ..." Ann Mon, p. 236, Body For Life For Women by Pamela Peeke, M.D.

Ibid.