$100 for this...is it worth it?

• Hi guys

My college's rec center has this program called Spring Break Shape Up

It's $100. Should I cough it up, or just try to work out on my own? And I plan on emailing the guy to see exactly what the program has to offer, so what are some questions I should ask? Because I really don't want to spend that much and be disappointed. Thanks!
  • I would find out specifically what type of calsses or trainign will be the basis for the time frame offered. Will ther be a nutritional program given to you to follow? Will your progress be monitored on a weekly basis? Will thr program fit inot your schdule? How many days per week is the program? Is this a onesize fits all levels of fitness/body types, or will individual variances be taken into account for the workouts, nutirion, etc. Are ther any additional supplies you have to purchase? If so what are they? Will these items benefit you (will you ever touch them again or is it a one time thing only piece of equipment?)
    $100 seems extremely high to me for a one month program. If it were me, I would call a local gym that you trust, tell the staff you want a trainer, and get in as many sessions as you can with them (assuming they are a good trainer that pays attention to you and not on the phone or wandering away.)
  • Thanks, I wil definately ask if there is a nutritional aspect to the training.

And this is the description:

Combining the best of aerobics and personal training, this workout program is motivating, challenging, and guaranteed to get you in shape for Spring Break! You will gain muscle tone, while still obtaining the cardiovascular workout needed to lose weight. Program includes a pre and post fitness assessment. Each participant will receive a heart rate monitor to maintain target heart rate zones while training. Class runs Feb. 6-March 9. Class meets Monday-Thursday from 7:30-8:30am. Cost is $100.00.

The amount for a persoanl trainer is even worse, so I was considering doing this for a month. My friend emailed him earlier, and he said that the program takes 20 people.
  • Heck, sounds like a good deal to me. Especially if you get to KEEP the heart rate monitor.
  • Sounds like not a bad deal at all! And what Mrs.Jim said, if they were actually willing to let you KEEP the HR monitor, that would be a steal! Those things run like $70 even at Target! I think it sounds good - I would probably join.
  • I didn't realize that this was a month! To me Spring Break meant a week, which definitely was not worth it. But for a month, 4 mornings a week, $100 sounds pretty good - assuming you'll go every day. And like Mrs.Jim, I think if you get to keep the heart monitor (though I can't tell from the description if you do) you'd be ahead. I find that in a class I work harder than I do on my own - something I'm trying to remedy.
  • Thanks guys! I really appreciate the comments. I'm going to join It can only help get to where I want to be.