one meal

You're on Page 1 of 2
Go to
  • Is there one perfect meal for you? breakfast, lunch, supper or maybe a snack? One healthy meal - that you don't think you can get sick off?

Mine is chicken breast w/ fried (tiny bit of olive oil) onions and red pepper. I could eat this forever. Sometimes I put it in a wrap.. or add rice or on a baked potatoe or maybe add cheese.

You will always find chicken, onions and red pepper in my grocery cart.
  • Mine would be Orange Chicken. Brown skinless chicken breasts and then simmer them (uncovered) in a 12 oz can of diet orange soda, turnly frequently until the soda is reduced to a glaze. Yum! Add some green veggies or a salad and it is perfect. My mom made this for us as kids and we never knew it was healthy. Go figure!

Sara
  • I have never tried an orange soda.. cool. Does it kind of taste like the orange chicken you get with chinese food? I love that but I know it's breaded and fried
  • Lately, my perfect meal has been my breakfast. I have a toasted whole-wheat English muffin with natural peanut butter and sliced banana on top. Sometimes I add a glass of skim milk, and voila--everything but a veggie! It keeps me full for a long time, doesn't take too long to make, and tastes good

That orange chicken sounds interesting--I, too, am a Chinese food orange chicken addict, but I'm sure htis is much different. I'll have to see if I can find some diet orange soda (I've only ever seen regular).
  • I don't know.....never had orange chicken at the chinese place. I am usually a sucker for the sesame chicken myself. Make sure you use DIET orange soda or it adds in calories you don't want!

I think I am going to try experimenting with different meats and sodas using this same recipe. I wonder how diet coke and beef would taste.....or maybe root beer?
  • SAPF's Perfect Breakfast:

1-2 eggs, poached in the microwave
    seasonings sprinkled over them
    1-2 slices whole grain toast
    1/2 cup decaf, 1/2 cup fat free soy milk
  • The one breakfast I could have every day and never tire of is my oatmeal (made with dates, raisins, walnuts, cinnamon, nutmeg, and a little sugar free syrup, and equal) and a Morning Star breakfast patty.

Lunch would probably be a vegetable burito - red onion, jalepenos, corn, and black beans all sauteed with chili powder then wrapped in a tortilla with a little homemade guacamole and about a 1/4 ounce of sharp cheddar. Once it is all wrapped up I grill it to melt the cheese and make the tortilla crunchy. A very close second would be black bean soup and a Veggie (I'm partial to Morning Star's Griller Prime variety) burger on a wheat bun. Of course, I always have a piece of fruit or salad too.

I've had a snack of 1/2 cup cottage cheese and 1/2 and ounce of roasted almonds almost everyday to the past year and I never get tired of it.

Dinner is tough because I have a lot of favorites. But if I have to narrow it down I'd say a homemade veggie pizza. I've been using a crust and sauce recipe that everyone (including the kids!) likes better than delivery pizza. I usually have everything on hand and it doesn't take long at all to whip up so it also makes a good last minute dinner - which is one thing that I love about it. But, then there is Lemon Chicken with Thyme and sauteed spinach with bow tie pasta, and Grilled Shrimp over lemon rice, chicken parmesan with oven fried zuchinni....oh, who am I kidding - I can't narrow it down to just one!
  • I love variety too much so my lunches and dinners are varied. For breakfast I could probably live off of either omelets with one egg and 3 egg whites (sometimes I put in 1 oz. of cheese and some ham) or oatmeal. I usually will had 1 TBS. of peanut butter so I have a bit more protein in the morning.
  • For a snake I have 3/4 cup non fat cottage cheese with a little Splenda added and then mix it with sugar free jello. It is more substantial than eating just jello and has protein. It's around 200 kcal.
  • Mine would probably be this pre-seasoned skinless boneless chicken I get from the store. Cook it and 2 oz. of spaghetti noodles. Mix the chicken, noodles, and some spinach with a tad bit of balsalmic vinegar! yum!!
  • For me, the snack is cottage cheese. I eat it for breakfast almost every day (I get the little half-cup containers) and I have it on hand at home if I need a protein fix. It is creamy, salty, and just rich enough that I don't feel like it's "diet food."

For lunch, my favorite is the hot bar at my cafeteria at work. Meat and veggies, pay by the ounce. I probably eat healthier at work than at home. Of the many things they circulate among their offerings, my favorite meats are roast turkey and baked fish, and my favorite veg are roasted mixed veggies, their cooked cabbage, their spinach, their okra and tomatoes, and their carrots.

For dinner, I can almost always eat chicken breasts or salmon. I keep them in the freezer, then can nuke it with some seasoning in the microwave. Round that out with whole wheat toast or a whole wheat roll (also kept in the freezer) and some veg with real butter, and I'm a happy girl.
  • Oh, and my favorite comfort food, bar none, is soup. I keep some cans on hand in the pantry, but I also often make my own. Put veg and water with a bouillon cube and some pepper into a Pyrex cup in the microwave. Cook until veg is tender. Then puree with the hand blender. If I have one, I'll often add a potato (or barring that, some potato flakes). It helps thicken it up and make it feel "creamy" even when there's no cream in it. A dollop of low-fat cream cheese does the trick, too, especially with broccoli.

Very satisfying, very healthy, and fills me up.
  • For me it's tomatoes - sliced tomatoes with breakfast, on sandwiches. Baked tomatoes with dinner. I have them with beef, pork, chicken, other veggies. I just can't get enough of them. The problem is they don't really agree with me but I keep right on eating em.

~Dee
  • This sounds boring, but my Kashi breakfast really is the closest-to-perfect meal I have. I eat it every day, half Kashi Go Lean and half Kashi Go Lean Crunch with some fresh or frozen fruit and 1% milk. It's amazing how good it tastes to me and how long it keeps me going because of the protein. I've converted my hubby, too!
  • I tried the Kashi To Good Friends.. tasted like sticks to me. I have never had Go Lean Crunch. I do love Kashi Heart to Heart...love it!!! Instead of milk... I had a flavoured ff yogurt. Same calories (missing some vit D that milk has) It adds so much flavour!! 142 calories for 1 cup of cereal and 100 calories for the ff yogurt.