Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 01-10-2006, 03:08 PM   #1  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Default A question

Hello,

I have a question. I keep reading that to succeed at this weight loss journey, that it needs to be a lifestyle change ~ something that one can do for the rest of their lives. Back in 2000 I did really well and lost 40 pounds. Unfortunatly, I put it back on ~ have been working on this off and on ever since, but haven't kept at it long enough to make any progress. When I was doing it that time, I counted calories and wrote everything down ~ measured and added up everything. That seemed to work, and got me there, but I just can not see my self doing that everyday for the rest of my life.

So, my question is I guess, is it possible to reach my goal and maintain without having to write everything down like that?
glynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:31 PM   #2  
Meg

Gayle - it may be possible for you but it hasn't been for me. I'm closing in on five years at this lifestyle change and I still weigh, measure, and journal in Fitday, almost without exception. These were important tools for me for losing weight and if I quit using them, even now, I predict that I would soon starting gaining weight. I know my weaknesses!

The year that I was losing weight was the year that I assembled my tool box of skills and strategies for weight loss -- which (not coincidentally) are identical to the skills and strategies needed for my weight maintenance. I need every little bit of help that I can get to keep the weight off and fear that abandoning some of the Things That Work would be a recipe for disaster.

Honestly, none of these things are a burden to me. I guess it's truly a lifestyle change because it's all just a natural and normal part of my life. For me, it's a very, very small price to pay for conquering a lifetime of obesity.

Of course, since we're all different, these may not be things that you're required to do in order to lose the weight and keep it off. But I'm curious -- why do you say you can't see yourself doing these things for the rest of your life?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #3  
Want to feel better

Hi Meg,

I guess I have a hard time to see myself writing it down like that everyday because I haven't even been able to do it long enough yet to reach my goal ~ so I wonder how I would be able to do it long term. Being disciplined like that does not come easliy to me. I am very organized at work, but at home it just seems like so much effort.

Right now, I am just trying to eat less and move more. Trying to keep it simple ~ thinking that if I don't get so complicated, I will be less likely to fail. Don't know ~ I am sort of trying different things I guess until I find what works for me.
Old 01-10-2006, 05:37 PM   #4  
geeky pagan chick

S/C/G: 265/136/150

I don't necessarily write everything down (although sometimes I do) but I always keep a running estimate going in my head. It's just second nature. It helps that after years of tracking calories, I pretty much have most common ingredients memorized
Tani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

In 1999-2000, I lost 67 lbs. I kept it all written down in a small notebook, good days, bad days, everything. THen to keep myself motivated I challenged myself to see how many days in a row I could journal. You need to understand that I am sooo not a list making, calendar keeping person. I don't use a PDA or a Daytimer, I seldom make to-do list or even a shopping list. Yet I managed to keep my food journal for over 15 months without missing a day. It really helped me, and I'm trying really hard to get back in that habit, given that I've gained back a lot of what I lost. I now manage several days in a row in Fitday, but frankly just writing down (and I use WW pts when I do this) is easier for me. If I'm away from home/work, I write down the food and look up the points later. I've done this all long enough that like Tani, I pretty much know the pts for the foods I eat most often. I do still measure most of the time at home, too. So, will you ever stop - maybe, but don't count on it.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:13 PM   #6  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tani
I don't necessarily write everything down (although sometimes I do) but I always keep a running estimate going in my head. It's just second nature. It helps that after years of tracking calories, I pretty much have most common ingredients memorized
That's the way I am, basically.

I have my 'staples' list of foods - ones that I trust. Oatmeal, just about any fruit or veggie, chicken breast, fish, light yogurt, skim milk, eggs and eggwhites and so on (this is NOT a complete list!!)...I know as long as I stick to my staples (with the addition of healthy fats such as olive oil, a few nuts etc) I don't worry too much. It just comes natural, like riding a bike or posting the trot, KWIM? but it really takes lots of PRACTICE.

That said, on occasion I will journal my eating for a few days or a week at a time, especially around/after the holidays, just to get back on track!

Portion control and healthy lifestyle changes aren't as terrible as they sound, trust me...
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:34 PM   #7  

I have learned, in my 14 months of maintaining (which has not been completely smooth sailing, believe me), that when I get lax about writing down my food, I gain up to 5 pounds in 1 month. Argh! When I recommit to the journal, and am honest about what I truly eat--let's not forget the piece of dark chocolate, the popcorn after dinner, etc.--it makes the difference.

I am thinking about trying the WW Core Plan next week (I have been Flex Points up until now). Allegedly you don't have to track as long as you stick to certain foods. We'll see.

Long and the short of it, writing things down works for me.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 08:06 PM   #8  
Mel

I still measure a lot of my foods (oatmeal, cottage cheese) and every once in a while weigh a portion of meat or fish just to make sure I haven't forgotten and let portions grow. Green vegies I eat with abandon. I journal for a few days, then stop for a few weeks.

Basically, I eat from my "staples". I know how much is a portion for me, what combination of foods adds up to a meal, etc. When I stray from my staples, I get in trouble.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:13 AM   #9  

Hi Gayle, glad to see you here!! Like most, I eat from a basic template of foods that I know, meaning that I know the correct portion sizes, cals, fat, carbs, etc. so I don't have to give it much thought. Since, for the most part, I eat pretty much the same things every day, I decided shortly after hitting my goal that I no longer needed to meticulously track every bite of food or oz of water like I did while losing. Like everyone said, this is a personal decision, and you have to do whatever works for you. So, if you feel comfortable giving this particular practice up, then do it. You can always come back to it if you realize that you really need that accountability.

Beverly
boiaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:23 PM   #10  
Want to feel better

Thank you all for taking the time to help me and your words of wisdom.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:22 AM   #11  

When I started this, I used to journal my food. I lasted about a month. I found that I ended up obsessing about what I was writing as well as what I was eating. Like some of the others here, I have my basic templates of what I eat. Like Mrs Jim I journal if I am feeling like I am getting out of control, if I am going through a plateau, or to get out of "post holiday mess". I went on a vacation to Turkey where I didn't watch what I ate, and when I came back I found it really hard to get back on track, and journalling helped a lot.
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote