Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 01-10-2006, 11:45 AM   #1  
PrestonsMama

S/C/G: 253/180/150

Height: 5'6"

Question Feet getting numb on eliptical?

I have been trying the eliptical at the gym and usually around 20-25 min. into the work out the balls of my feet and toes start to feel tingly kind of numb feeling. I've always had issues with walking on my toes, so I thought that could be it, but I've been aware of that for the past two workouts and saying "heel, toe, heal toe" in my head while I am on it to get a better range of motion on my foot. It helps a little but I'm still getting the tinglies. What am I doing wrong?
PrestonsMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #2  

It's me again!!! I posted to you in the support thread on a different topic, I have appointed myself your guardian angel!!! I don't know if it's normal or not, but it happened to me for the first 6 - 8 weeks that I used the eliptical. I mentioned it to my trainer who thought it was in the realms of normal, and it doesn't happen to me anymore. I too had to really concentrate on keeping my foot flat on the boards of the eliptical (boards?? Pedals?? you know what I mean!!! )
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:07 PM   #3  
9.95 + S & H

It happens to me too. If it gets too bad then I do some reverse revolutions for a while and it usually helps.
PsycoPhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:09 PM   #4  
PrestonsMama

Hi there guardian angel! LOL! I'm so glad that someone else has felt this, I asked someone at the gym today and they had no clue (he just worked there, I don't think he was a trainer) what the problem was. Thanks for the info!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:10 PM   #5  

Oh my goodness, the same thing happens to me! I figured I was not doing it right or keeping my feet placed flat enough, but then I worry if that will limit the good of the workout?

I usually do the eliptical for 30 minutes each night. Do you think that will help me lose any weight or should I try to go longer? I generally work up a little sweat, so I feel like I am at least somewhat productive......
DivaLaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:11 PM   #6  
Meg

Loosening your shoelaces before getting on can help. It happens to a lot of people and, like Kykaree said, it tends to get better over time.

Diva - 30 minutes of cardio per day should be enough, at least to start. If you want to do more, why not increase the intensity (resistance and/or speed) rather than the time?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:24 PM   #7  
PrestonsMama

I love this board! Thank you all for your advice!

Meg- I've been meaning to tell you that you look fabulous! That picture you have as your avitar is one of my motivators to keep going! Oh and I just noticed you are in Pittsburgh, PA....so am I! Small world!
Old 01-10-2006, 12:36 PM   #8  
Meg

Hello, fellow Pittsburgher! What gym did you join? I work at the South Hills Ballys, though am off for a few weeks due to rotator cuff surgery.
Old 01-10-2006, 01:10 PM   #9  
PrestonsMama

I'm at the Beaver YMCA. I was going to do the Sewickly Y but they are twice as much and you have to pay for your locker - it seems like they charge for every little thing there. It would have been $10 just for a guest pass day for my husband to come along - ridiculous! I really like the Beaver Y, lots of nice people there so far too. I've never tried a Bally's before, although I've heard they are very nice!

I hope you heal quickly & get on your feet again! How much longer do you have to rest?
Old 01-10-2006, 01:23 PM   #10  
Chuggin' along...

PrestonsMama, it happens to me too. I've been doing elliptical on and off for several years, and it never seems to go away. I tried thicker socks, new sneakers to make sure my soles weren't worn out, etc. It only kicks in after about 30 min, though, as I usually go on the elliptical anywhere from 40-60 min. I feel so much better knowing I'm not crazy, and not injuring myself!
Megan1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 01:25 PM   #11  
Meg

That's wonderful that you found a gym that you love! Joining a gym changed my life, for sure.

As for my shoulder, it's going to be a six month (or more) recovery, but I intend to do a ton of cardio and legs in the meantime. It's not clear when I can go back to work, though -- right now I'm barely allowed to breathe for fear of mucking up my doctor's handiwork.
Old 01-10-2006, 03:35 PM   #12  
One life, live it well

S/C/G: 304|ticker|160

Height: 5'6½

Do you have flat feet? If so an arch support or orthotic insert probably would help somewhat. I have the same problem. Or similar feeling at least after about 15 minutes of exercise on anything except soft ground outside. I also have Morton's Nueroma inbetween my 3 and 4th toes and when it all gets too unbearable I go and get a corticosteroid injection to reduce inflammation. Wearing athletic shoes with a WIDE toe box plus custom fitted orthotics does seem to help since it seems to be compression related...plus all the weight I'm carrying doesn't help. It sucks when exercise hurts. Good luck!

P.S. Like PP mentioned reversing directings seems to help too!? For awhile at least.
Nori71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 04:47 PM   #13  
Owned by Dixie

Height: 5'4"

It happens to the best of us, Loosening your shoe laces is the cure, just don't forget to fix them before you move onto something else
L144S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #14  

I was so glad to find this post. I do an hour on the elliptical and I'm having the same problem. I've been putting my toes up on the front ridge of the pedal and just going on my heels with some relief, but I am going to try the shoelace thing that sounds much better.
Lori
nighthawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:52 AM   #15  
Ryan

S/C/G: 210/182/174

Height: 5'8"

It still happens to me and I have been using ellipticals for years now, so for me it didnt go away. It gets better when I wear normal walking shoes instead of running shoes. I was told that you are only supposed to run in running shoes and not use them for walking, etc. I guess they can cause numbness and such because they are meant to offer more support and impact while run/jogging. So in summation, I recommend walking shoes on the elliptical should have just said that instead of rambling!
wheelfindsolace is offline   Reply With Quote