14 Pounds by Febuary 14th

You're on Page 7 of 15
Go to
  • hey everyone!
    It's very encouraging to see so many enthusiastic people supporting each other. Hope I can do the same.

I went to the gym for my spinning class and thought I was going to fall asleep on the bike but kept going by thinking of my commitment to myself and this group. Today was a day off from the gym but I think I have a salsa lesson (only 3 left) tomorrow after work. By next week I will be playing vb once a week so that will keep things lively. Maybe this weekend I will get some skiing in.

I slept in this morning and was almost late for work but forced myself to put something in me before I left so I wouldn't mess up my SB routine. Thank goodness I'm getting in the habit of preparing my lunch the night before!

By the way, when I was at the gym yesterday I snuck on the scale and it looks like I might've dropped two pounds but I'm going to wait until Saturday for the true weigh-in. Wish me luck until then...and to all of you too!
  • I weighed this morning. I maintained... didn't lose or gain. I think if could start drinking more water and actually exercise, I might have a fight'n chance at this "losing weight" thing.

Sorry to hear about your plateau. They can suck, but at least you didn't gain. Keep a positive attitude and you're sure to succeed! Good luck.

Nona
  • Quote: I weighed this morning. I maintained... didn't lose or gain. I think if could start drinking more water and actually exercise, I might have a fight'n chance at this "losing weight" thing.

Sorry to hear about your plateau. They can suck, but at least you didn't gain. Keep a positive attitude and you're sure to succeed! Good luck.

Nona
    SOOOO with you - I know that is what I need to do too, but have had obstacles up to this point. Tonight going out to buy the yoga mat so the balance ball won't go skidding across the carpet. Although I am fairly sore because I slid down 17 stairs today outside of my house (ice).

All that said, scale was 1lb friendlier today. Hard to get into my head that 1 lb a week is healthy and will have me reach my long term goal. Hang in there girls and GET OUT THERE AND MOVE (but be careful on icey stairs
  • The balance ball thing sounds interesting - but do you need a lot of room? My apt is so very small. Also, is it difficult to learn/do?
    Anyway, I'm off to grab some water! Have a great day ladies....
    Nona
  • I'm pretty excited, I start my nutritional classes tonight at curves. The class is 6 weeks long & we can work out 3 days a week there for only $69. That is a steal!!! We also get a bottle of vit. & shakes & recipe book......we (my sister and I) are heading there early tonight to get an introduction to the machines & get a work out in!!! I'll let you all know how it goes & share some recipes with you guys if you are interested!
  • Sigh
    I'm not doing so hot here, health-wise. I keep eating too much at night around and after dinner. I just feel so munchy! Not hungry - I had some good home-made chicken-noodle soup (with plenty of chicken, potatoes, and whole-wheat pasta) for dinner, but then went on to eat string cheese, a bunch of potato chips (which I don't normally care for that much) and like 12 Andes mints. This morning I already caved in and had a doughnut that someone brought to the office. And I'm not supposed to be eating sugar! I worked out yesterday for 45 minutes, but since I went up 2 lbs at t.o.m. (just finished) I'm just "back down" to my starting weight - 162. I need some encouragement here, because I feel a little out of control. Too often things happen (like parents inviting us out to eat, someone else cooking dinner, etc) that I don't plan for, and I lose it. I need to make sure I'm more careful tonight, and start brushing and flossing soon after dinner so I don't eat anymore. I'm a little discouraged weight-loss wise. Otherwise I'm fine. I just wish I had more control! I had slim-fast for breakfast (and a doughnut...) I'm having whole-wheat pasta for lunch, and a boiled egg for a snack. I don't know what's for dinner, because we have a newly married class, and they cook for us Wednesday nights... sigh. Must be strong (and smart!)
  • I have the evening snacking problem also.

At the moment I'm dealing with it by having a tiny lunch - a bowl of soup which is about 150 calories, so I save up my calories for the evening.

So when the munchies attack, I have a few hundred spare calories to deal with them. I have yoghurts, grapes, hardboiled eggs or grated carrot as 'allowed' snacks.

I don't try and tell myself I can't have anything, as I know it won't work, although I try not to eat after 9pm.

Is it possible for you to simply not buy the unhealthy stuff like doughnuts and chips? Or do you have family that insists on buying them?

My daughter is a bit chubby so, while I haven't put her on a diet, as she's only 4, we are definitely eating more healthily as a family so I just don't buy the bad stuff. She is allowed sweets on Saturdays but not many and they aren't kept in the house.
  • Hi Sara, I'm sorry you are feeling so frustrated, I thought this would be a good opportunity for all of us to list some tips for sticking to your diet.

Feel free to add any tips or tricks that work for you.....

-drink a glass of water before you eat
    -brush your teeth right after dinner
    -chew gum
    -buy a new healthy cookbook (love this one)
    -think of your family (I want to start having kids but need to lose weight first)
    -start a hobbie, I love to scrapbook & make cards, I work on these when I want to eat
    -take the dog for a walk
    -journal all your food
  • Thanks for the encouragement and tips. I do NOT buy doughnuts - someone brought them into the office and somehow I didn't even fight it. That's not like me... the chips my husband bought yesterday because the pharmacist told him they would be good for his sore throat because of the salt? Potato chips don't usually tempt me much, I've just been wanting to eat more lately. I have to eat enough for lunch that I feel like exercising at 4 or 5 after work, and I don't currently have a dog (we're renting and moving around with school a lot). The gum is a good idea, and I need to be stronger about my "no sugar" thing - if I eat any, I eat too much. Otherwise, we try to have healthy stuff around, but I need to make some already-ready "allowed snacks" and do the teeth-brushing thing. I have been drinking more water than usual today. I try not to buy anything that really tempts me (like Fritos, Cheetos, or doughnuts) but if they're there and my will-power is low... hmm. GOt to get with it before the weekend hits, or I'm sunk! I can do it!
  • Threw the scale away
    I used to be a daily weigher but realized it was only causing me grief. I threw it away! Now since I have started to try and loose again I go to my Doctors office. They let me weigh myself there. Since I have to make the trip there, I will only be weighing in once or twice a month.

I think that will help with the frustration
  • Oh yes, weighing daily is a BAD idea. Once a week is enough.
  • my tip
    One thing I've learned in the past week and a half is to have cut up veggies in the fridge ready to go. I've never been a big veg eater. I like them but rather have someone else do the prep work. Consequently, I prefer fruit much more...sometimes too much. Being on SB has been a huge sacrifice for me not being able to have a banana, or a pear or grapes when I feel like it...I love fruit..it's less work. On Sunday, I cut up peppers and celery for easy snacks and it's actually helped me eat more veggies. When I make my dinner, I cut up a little more for my next day's lunch. So far it has helped.
  • Hi tgirl-

When my husband and I were on south beach, I would make extra for diner so that we could eat it for our lunch the next day-----saved tons of time!

Do others have suggestions on how to stay motivated & stay away from the food?

I saw someone else post on another thread that she uses a timer, if she is in her car & wants to stop somewhere, she forces herself to wait 10 minutes. More likely than not, she won't eat the item because she doesn't want to wait the 10 minutes.

Hi Sara-

My husband would have read your post (it sounds like something I would have said) & he would have respond with a big SO WHAT! So what if someone brought in doughnuts to work---walk past them. So what if you don't have a dog----walk by yourself. So what if your husband brought chips in the house----ignore them.

Of course, I understand it is easier said then done but sometimes having that kind of attitude will get you through. So what if you are hungry now---aren't you much more hungry to be thin than hungry for that piece of food that is tempting you???? You have come so far with your weight loss, keep going, fight, fight, fight. If you don't the scale will creep up & you will find yourself even heavier then when you started (like me). You can do this!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • goalweight160 -
    That's what I would usually tell myself... I usuallyhave more self-control than I have recently had. It has been a little bizarre. It's like I tell myself it doesn't matter or something, but later it sure DOES matter - what was I thinking??? I'm thinking I may need to start eating a little more at lunch, and see if it will keep me from splurging EVERY evening too. I also realize I'm not eating many vegetables, and I really need to, to keep myself more full, and because I need the nutrition. I have been eating oranges every day after I exercise, which is good. I've never been a strong fruits and veggies type. If I'm not concentrating on eating plenty, I get about 2 servings every day or two. NOT good, I know. So I need to work on that. The worst time I have is when we're sitting somewhere (anywhere - after dinner, just visiting, whatever) and there is food. It's like I'm bored and can't help myself. But I CAN usually, I just need to figure out what the problem is and make it stop. I kind of blew up last night, listing every frustration I've been having eating-wise (my poor husband), but hopefully it got it out in the open, made him aware of what a hard time I'm having, and strengthened my resolve to stop. I'm working out again today, and I'm going to make sure to get some veggies at lunch, and some protein, and I know we're going out to dinner with his parents tonight (sigh) but I can plan, and eat all the good salad and veggies at the buffet there. Anyway, long entry, and I'm mostly just talking to myself. Thanks for listening.
  • Sara, sounds like you are heading in the right directions!

I'm so happy, I've lost another pound. This time around, my control and motivation is much stronger. I think it has finally "clicked" that this is a much needed lifestyle change. Honestly watching the biggest loser on tv is a huge motivation. I see how fat they were to start & see how far they come makes me realize that I am not alone.

Curves was pretty cool last night. Not exactly what I was thinking--actually better. I was expecting to see incombent (sp?) bikes & treadmills, but nothing of the sort was there. I'm going at this meal program 100%, it starts monday.

Happy dieting everyone! I'm home from work today, I'm going to get some much needed cleaning done today!!!