Inspiring quotes from members

You're on Page 5 of 12
Go to
  • Welcome, Dan!

Yes, I know what you mean. I feel great every five pounds, and when I move down to the next 10 (ie: 180...170), I feel that I've really accomplished something.
  • Here is my favorite!
    There is no passion to be found in playing small; in settling for a life that is less than what you are capable of living- Nelson Mandela
  • Great thread!

how about this one I think from oa.

It works if you work it.

• I love this poem...

“Autobiography in Five Short Chapters”

Portia Nelson

I

I walk down the street.
    There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
    I fall in.
    I am lost… I am helpless.
    It isn’t my fault.
    It takes me forever to find a way out.

II.

I walk down the same street.
    I pretend I don’t see it.
    I fall in again.
    I can’t believe I am in the same place
    But, it isn’t my fault.
    It still takes a long time to get out.

III.

I see it is there.
    I still fall in… it’s a habit.
    My eyes are open
    I know where I am.
    It is my fault.
    I get out immediately.

IV.

I walk around it.

V.

I walk down another street.

Hope it helps inspire you folks too :-D
  • So, decided I need to quit buying raspberries as I eat carton after carton of them. Also, every evening I am defeated and eat eat eat which keeps me from making a bit more progress, which I want to do. I feel so good that I have been able to maintain my 18 pounds so far bu ned a bit more progress. I want to stay with this site. it helps. When someone tells me how much wt they have put on it makes me feel so good that I haven't yet. Reminding myself every day what I am supposed to be doing and why is so important. Yea oa.
  • I like all these quotes!

"I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep but I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion." Alexander the Great
    I think this is one of my favorites
  • Too Cuddly - Who wrote that? That's a great poem!!

Here's my favorite motivational quotes:
    "Pain is temporary. It may last a minute, or an hour, or a day, or a year but eventually it will subside and something else will take its place. If I quit, however, it lasts forever. That surrender, even the smallest act of giving up, stays with me. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, which would I rather live with?"

"I have not failed 1000 times, I have successfully found 1000 ways on how to NOT make a light bulb"

"Nothing is IMPOSSIBLE. The word itself says "I'M POSSIBLE."

"A round man cannot be expected to fit in a square hole right away. He must have time to modify his shape."

"Your day is every day!"
  • Just found this one today on the back of my brother's graduation program handout:
    "Don't tell me the sky is the limit when there are foot prints on the moon."
  • This is a very encouraging thread. Keep up the good work, everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • All quotes are really inspirational! thanks for sharing them
  • Goodbye Chubby , I love one of your quotes!
    "Don't give up what you want most for what you want now". Repeating this in my head will surely give me strength when I am craving that candy or cookie! Thanks for the inspiration.
  • "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall"
    - Confucius

"they can because they think they can"
    - Virgil

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
    - Aristotle

"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude."

- Thomas Jefferson

"Success is the sum of small efforts, repeated day in and day out."
    - Robert Collier

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather a lack in will."
    - Vince Lombardi

"Impatience never commanded success."
    - Edwin H. Chapin

"You cannot plough a field by turning it over in your mind."
    - Author Unknown

"He who hesitates is lost."
    - Proverb

"Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm."
    - Ralph Waldo Emerson

"Nothing contributes so much to tranquilize the mind as a steady purpose--
    a point on which the soul may fix its intellectual eye."
    - Mary Shelley

And my personal favorite...

"We are still masters of our fate. We are still captains of our souls."
    - Winston Churchill
  • Don't you just love a quote that reveals itself to you when you need it the most???
    Your mistakes do not define you now; they tell you who you're not.- 3 Doors Down

also inspiring to me from the same is:

You hide behind your walls of "maybe" and "nevers", forgetting that there's something more than just "knowing better".

If you're afraid to fly then I guess you never will.

You've got to live this life your given like it's the only one you've got!
  • Some very inspiring quotes here!

My sister used to be an athletic trainer for a college football team. Just above the team's entrance leading onto the field there was this and I have never forgotten it - it is so true:

"If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always gotten."

I am not sure who said that, but it really made an impact on me.
  • HotWings, I love that quote! It rings so true for me; if I keep up my old habits, how can I expect any change in myself?

I just finished reading Walden by Thoreau and found a few quotes I really enjoyed:

"I have learned, that if one advances confidently in the direction of his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he has imagined, he will meet with a success unexpected in common hours."

"If you have built castles in the air, your work need not be lost; that is where they should be. Now put the foundations under them."