Old 07-04-2001, 07:06 PM   #1  
Mother Hen

Default Tops

Hope this info helps.TOPS is not expensive and it is one of the best support groups around

You can also go to www.tops.org and there is a place where you can put your zip code and it will show you all TOPS near you

Here is some info I posted some time ago.I probably need to post it more often.

What will I find in a TOPSŪ chapter meeting?
TOPSŪ meetings, which are held weekly, begin with a confidential weigh-in. Once weights are recorded, a program is presented. It varies from chapter to chapter, but is always aimed in some way to help members achieve their goals. Often, your leader or another member will present these programs. At times, physicians, nutritionists, psychologists or other experts volunteer to speak. Your meeting is a time for you to share your weight loss successes and challenges without feeling uncomfortable. Your fellow members are there to support you. From this fellowship and sharing come suggestions on how to do better. You'll receive recognition when you do so and encouragement when you need it.
How is TOPSŪ different from other weight loss organizations?
TOPS is nonprofit and noncommercial. We do not sell, promote, or endorse any products. Your doctor provides your eating and exercise plan. Your leader is a volunteer. He or she is a member just like yourself. Your chapter is as unique as the individuals in it. We provide the support, encouragement and educational opportunities you need to make healthy, permanent lifestyle changes. Fellow members are there for you not just during your meeting, but anytime. Cards, calls, and a reassuring hand of friendship are extended to you whenever you need them. We care about your health and our name explains why. We want you to Take Off Pounds Sensibly.
What does it cost to join TOPS Ū?
Annual membership is just $20 in the United States, $25 in Canada. This includes a monthly magazine delivered to your home. Local dues are set by each chapter to cover expenses and are normally less than $5 per month.
What do I get for my membership fee?
The most important benefits are the support and encouragement you get from other members, but you'll also receive our monthly magazine delivered to your door. It's filled with inspirational stories, delicious recipes and news from TOPS chapters around the world. There are lots of TOPS sponsored activities you can get involved in too.
Do I have to follow a special diet?
Your personal physician is the one most familiar with your medical history. Therefore all TOPS members receive their food and exercise plans as well as goal weights from their own doctors. TOPS does recommend the standard exchange diet. TOPS publishes a healthy lifestyle guide called "The Choice Is Yours" which includes a full description of how to work this plan. If your doctor approves the exchange diet, you'll find lots of useful information in this low-cost book.
Will I be told how much weight to lose?
That is between you and your personal physician. However you measure success and whatever you have to lose, TOPS is Here For You!
Can you guarantee I'll lose weight?
There are no quick fixes or phony guarantees at TOPS. Losing weight is up to you. But, while you're working on it, we can provide incentives, lively meetings and materials to keep you going. You can join us at motivational rallies, attend different workshops, even go on special retreats.
What about after I lose weight?
Members who reach their goal weight become honored KOPSŪ members (Keep Off Pounds Sensibly). Staying at goal weight can be a challenging too, so our meetings provide information and support for members at this level too.
How do I join TOPSŪ?
Simply attend one of the meetings in your area. There are almost 11,000 meetings around the world. Your first visit is free and you are under no obligation to join. Bring a friend if you like. If you decide to join, a TOPS member will help you fill out the simple application form at the meeting.
Eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2001, 03:49 PM   #2  

Smile

I'd just like add something about headquarter's web site. It's got a message board, too.
ciecie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:38 AM   #3  

yes and they have a neat chat room to. its very good. LaDean
LaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2003, 11:52 AM   #4  

yes, the chat room is very nice. i haven't used it often but the ladies i met there were very friendly.
Old 09-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #5  

Wow cheaper then WW $20 a year humm may have to look into that.
There are a few right near my house. I could use the socialization as I am new to this area and do not know anyone. I may give my self a Birthday present and join.
hrhhyacinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 05:33 PM   #6  

first meeting is free. you must join if you go again.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:13 AM   #7  

Question calorie bingo game

I saw an idea for Calorie Bingo on Bobbie Tops but don't understand how the cards are made up, can somebody explain or furnish me with a copy of one example so I can make up my own for our chapter? Do you chose a food product with calorie count to go under each letter heading "Calorie" Would appreciate anybody's help!
MagnoliaBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2004, 08:43 AM   #8  

sorry i can't help you there.
Old 02-22-2004, 08:57 AM   #9  
Mother Hen

Magnolia I can help you. There are different ways you can do it. We have one that I bought that has bingo like boards.On each square it has a healthy food with serving size and calories listed. I think it says bingo at the top. You could make one by make 5 squares across and down. Then we have another one that a member made from copy I got from someone else. This one has a healthy tip in each square such as "keep a food journal" or exercise etc. The hardest part is making sure you don't end up with identical boards. If you want to PM me your address I will send you a sample of both. The one with tips has tops and a scale at top. They are both good. My group enjoy both.
Eleni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 02:57 PM   #10  

Hi all
I have been a member of Tops since Oct 26, 2003
I have found it most helpful and Just found your very interesting board and thought I'd like to say hi.
sparrow_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 10:43 AM   #11  

welcome sparrow!
Old 04-03-2004, 12:24 PM   #12  

Hi!

I found out about TOPS on another thread. There is one less than 10 mins from my house. I am going to check it out next wed 4/10. l'm looking forward to it. I mentioned to a friend at work and she used to belong yrs ago and loved it. But then the location she was going to closed. I emailed the listed coordinator and she responded that the location near me is up and running and has a really great group. I'll let you know.

DonnaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2004, 06:59 AM   #13  

welcome to the group!
Old 12-25-2004, 10:50 PM   #14  
Born Looser :)

here is a really dumb question.. the tops program is for men an women or ???

just curious ..
LisaMarie1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 09:18 AM   #15  

tops is for both men and women.