Spring Break

• Hey Everyone,

I'm planning on going away for spring break this year. I'm leaving Feb, 25. What do you guys think a realistic weight loss goal to set for myself is?
  • Well it's really kind of hard to say, since we don't know how much you currently weigh. Or what your goals are. Things like that.

In order for us to give you an opinion on a realistic goal, it would help to know your stats
  • Hi

I'm 23....about 5"4 and i weigh 205. i'm currently working out 5/6 times per week. Doing 30 minutes of cardio and about 30 minutes of weights. I just started a reduced calorie diet on monday.... aiming for 1200-1500/day. ultimately i'd like to lose about 50 pounds, but i know it can't happen by then... what do you think a realistic goal for feb 25th would be?

any suggestions?!
  • Two months away? Well... realistically speaking, by then, I think a safe goal would be about 14-16 pounds. That's 1-2 pounds a week, which is considered safe weight loss.

However, at 205 pounds and working out regularly, your calorie count may be a little too low. You can probably eat about 2000 calories a day and still lose weight, as long as you stay as active as you are.

I really wouldn't go below 1500.
  • I would say 45# would be a great "stretch" goal and 20# a very doable one. If you are going to be very strict on the diet consult with your physician and include an exercise regimen.

I doubt your physician will have a problem with 1200Cal/day; gastric bypass patients go much lower (~600 Cal). The real question is what can you tolerate. I would imagine that on 1200 cal a day plus exercise you could drop 3#+ a week for the next 10 weeks.

You definitely have time to make a real change in your physique.
  • I am five foot two and started out at 214 pounds. I lost a little over 20 pounds in the same time frame you have. I think my caloric intake was a bout 1700 calories a day and I wasn't exercising nearly as much as you are and I am 13 years older.

Of course, we all lose differently so I'm not suggesting that you should expect to have the same results as I did - yours might be better, they might worse. My point is just that 20 pounds would not be unhealthy or an unreasonable expectation for you Spring Break trip.

Have a great time regardless of how much you lose between now and then!
  • Considering we are only on the 10th of Dec, and your leaving Feb25, and your working out already and restricting your diet. Id say 20-28lbs would be very doable by then.
  • Quote: I doubt your physician will have a problem with 1200Cal/day; gastric bypass patients go much lower (~600 Cal).
    Let's reiterate in here that if you are going to go very low cal it really is a good idea to see a physician. People on low-cal diets like that are and should be supervised by a physician. (Not that Robert was advocating NOT seeing a physician...in fact, the opposite). Does that make sense? My point: see your physician!
  • wow, thanks for all the comments. i'm new here, and it's nice to have the support . thanks again