Brown Rice Stuffing with Sausage and Apples

• All amounts are aproximate because I don't measure this recipe. I adapted it from my mom and made it my own. Hope you like!

-1 lb Sausage (healthiest you can find but not Italian, sage flavored is preferred) Soy sausage from GimmeLean works great and noone can tell at all, trust me.
    -@6 C cooked brown rice (short grain works best)
    -3 celery ribs, thinly sliced
    -@6-8 oz mushrooms, sliced
    -1 large apple chopped in pieces (i like Fugi apples for this if you use red...don't use Red delicious or any red American variety...not enough flavor, granny smith is delish but the color isnt as pretty)
    -1 very large onion, chopped
    - @ 2 tsp ground sage, more or less
    -@ 2 tsp dried thyme, more or less
    -2-3 T olive oil
    -1/4-1/2 C chicken broth, or better yet, the drippings from the turkey
    -1 raw egg, scrambled well
    -salt/pepper

Sautee the onion in the oil for a few min, add celery, apple, and garlic. Sautee a few more min until fragrant but still crisp. Add mushrooms, sautee a few min. Remove mixture from pan into a large bowl for mixing. Add sausage to pan. Sautee until just browned. Add sausage to veggie mixture. Add rice and spices. Mix well. Add raw scrambled egg, salt, and pepper and mix very well. Add broth or drippings, bake uncovered at 375 for about 1/2 hour to 45 min. Enjoy. You can also stuff the bird instead of baking in a seperate dish, Just add all the cooked ingredients and egg and shove it in the bird. I like it seperate best though. Remember to keep tasting throughout cooking to get it to the flavor you like.

Oh, and make lots to freeze for leftovers...yummy stuffed inside a chicken breast!!

Nutrition: will post later when I put it through fitday.
  • This looks so good. I am definitely going to try it one day.