When is it too late to plant tulip & crocus bulbs?

• Hi all,

When is it too late to plant bulbs? I'm in Mass. (zone 5). It's been raining like crazy (up until today) and we even had some snow last night. I have about a dozen tulips and crocus bulbs I still need to plant, but with the weather and my crazy schedule I just haven't gotten around to it.

Is it too late to plant them? And if it is, what on earth do I do with them until next fall??

Thanks
  • Kate! Is that you? You look fantastic!

I live in PA (right on the border between zones 6 and 7) and have planted up until the end of November. I figure as long as I can get them into unfrozen ground, they'll be OK. If you can dig a hole, go for it. I once tried to hold over some tulip bulbs and lost about 60% of them.

When I lived in Toronto, I remember actually digging through snow to plant. I had beautiful flowers that spring

Mel
  • That's me! You didn't think my other avatar was me, did you ?! Pookie suggested I use a pic of myself instead, so I did (obviously).

Thanks for the advice, Mel...it's my first very own lawn/garden and I don't know what the heck I'm doing! I'm going to get to it this week -- I just didn't want to poor little guys to shrivel up and die because I planted them too late!

Thanks
  • LOL, I know your old avatar wasn't you! You haven't updated your progress pics for a while. You are stunning
  • Kate: THanks for reminding me. I have to plant more bulbs, too! And I say it's not too late until you can't dig in the ground because it's frozen solid. If you can dig in it, you can plant bulbs in it...

Kris
  • Thanks ladies

Now...if I could just figure out how to stop my Basset from digging them up after they've been planted....