WW vegetarian miscellaneous recipes

• This is one of Mollie's suggested crusts for quiche. Of course it could be used for any other baked vegetable (or meat) pie.

Golden Vegetable Crust
    15 min. to prepare; 40 minutes to bake
    Yield: a 9- or 10-inch crust

"Special Guest Star: PARSNIP! This surprisingly sweet and mild vegetable is often underrated, if not overlooked altogether. Discover it here, and you might find yourself grating it into your salads as well."

a little butter or oil for the pan
    2 packed cups grated yellow summer squash
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 cup grated carrot
    1/2 cup peeled, grated parsnip
    2 Tbs. olive oil or melted butter (plus extra to brush on top)
    1/3 cup unbleached white flour

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.

2. Place the grated squash in a colander in the sink. Sprinkle with the salt and let it stand 10 minutes. Squeeze out all excess moisture, and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.

3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Transfer to the pie pan, and sculpt an attractive crust with a fork (and possibly your fingers).

4. Bake for 40 minutes. Midway through the baking, brush with a little extra olive oil or melted butter. You don't need to cool it before filling.
  • Spinach Crust (Mollie Katzen)
    15 min. to prepare; 15 min. to bake

a little oil for the pan
    2 Tbs. butter or canola oil
    3/4 lb. fresh spinach, finely minced
    1/2 tsp salt
    3/4 cup unbleached white flour
    3/4 cup wheat germ or fine bread crumbs
    a few gratings - or dashes - of nutmeg

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly oil a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.

2. Melt the butter or heat the oil in a large skillet. Add the spinach and salt, and saute quickly over fairly high heat until the spinach is limp.

3. Remove from heat; add remaining ingredients and mix well.

4) Pat into the oiled pie pan. Use a fork at first, and then your fingers, to mold the crust. Prebake for 15 minutes - no need to cool before filling.
  • Mashed Potato Crust
    Preparation time: 1 hour, including baking
    (Filling can be made while crust bakes.)

a little canola oil for the pan and the top of the crust
    2 large potatoes (the size of a healthy fist)
    1 to 2 Tbs. butter
    a scant 1/2 tsp. salt
    fresh black pepper to taste
    1/2 cup minced onion

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Oil a 9- or 10-inch pie pan.

2. Scrub or peel the potatoes, cut them into chunks, and boil until soft. drain and transfer to a medium-sized bowl.

3. Add butter, salt, pepper, and onion, and mash well.

4. Using a spoon and/or rubber spatula, form a handsome crust with an even handsomer edge in the oiled pie pan.

5. Bake 45 minutes. Midway through the baking, lightly brush the entire surface with oil. It's not necessary to cool the crust before filling and rebaking.
  • polenta?
    I just bought a roll of refrigerated polenta and I have no idea what to do with it. I tried to just fry it in cooking spray but it wasn't very good. Does anyone have any ideas for how I can prepare it or what kind of sauce goes well with it? Thanks, Valerie
  • I use polenta a lot because its so quick and easy and you get a lot for few points. You may just not care for the plain variety - they also make many different flavors (at my market anyway) like sundried tomato, garlic, etc. My favorite way to cook it is on the grill - I spray my grill pan with no fat spray and grill it for about 3 minutes a side. It goes great with any pasta sauce or with grilled veggies, some places also eat it as a sweet treat (think corn meal mush) and serve it for breakfast with butter and syrup, like pancakes.
  • Thanks for the great info!
  • Hi Asta!
    I came across this site just now and remembered you had asked about veggie burgers. There's no nutrition data but it would be easy to figure out for most of them.
    http://www.interlog.com/~john13/recipes/burgers.htm

Hope this helps!
    Deb
  • Veggie Burgers
    I made some once in the food processor from: Brown Rice, ground chick peas & it was very sticky I got the recipe from Vegetarian Times. I made it & it was pretty hard to work with and didn't taste that good to me.

Cafe Express had raved about their homemade veggie burger made with plantains & black beans - I think they left out the taste on that one too.

I hope you can find one you can perk up some, sorry I couldnt've had better news. I guess mabie the homemade ones will be kinda crumbly. Good Luck!!

• This is a delicious recipie that is so easy and keeps about a month in the fridge. Slice 1 red onion into very thin slices. Put it in a jar and pour 1/2 bottle of seasoned rice vinegar over it. Throw in a few whole peppercorns if you remember. Put the lid on and refrigerate for 24 hours. The onions get limp but still stay crunchy and this is GREAT on burgers(well, I put them on veggie burgers) but they are a wonderful sandwich addition and no points! I hope you love them as much as I do. Remember though, use only Seasoned rice vinegar--not regular.
  • 0 point Mushroom Sauce
    Very easy and Quick with lot's of possibilities!
    2 servings

8 oz. Fresh, whole mushrooms, cleaned and quartered
    1/4 cup chopped onions
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/2 cup water
    1 Tablespoon ketchup
    2 teaspoon worchestershire sauce

Saut'e onions and mushrooms in sprayed pan over medium heat. When they start to soften add garlic. Cook, stirring until cooked but not too soft. Mix cornstarch with water and add that and rest of ingredients. Cook stirring until thickened. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Variations: For lunch today I added 1 1/2 cups cooked pasta and some leftover broccoli for a 4.5 point lunch.
    Stew: While this is cooking put 1 cup frozen peas,diced carrots, and a peeled, diced potato in the micro with a little water. Cover and cook veggies until done Add to mushroom sauce.

Tonight I am putting the other serving on a baked potato with a slice of Kraft 2% swiss cheese melted on top!!
    A little fat free sour cream and noodles would make a great mushroom stroganoff! Anybody have any other ideas??
  • Is that the same as the japanese vinegar which is kind of sweet tasting? Do you think the Japanese vinegar would work?
  • Martha Stewart Living had a Black Bean burger recipe in the summer of 2003. I don't remember which month, but if you go to your library and thumb through you should find it. They were pretty good, but like someone said above, kinda bland and crumbly. I recommend seasoned bread crumbs, and eating them fresh. However they do freeze well. And are much better with cheese on top!

That list of recipes from deb165 looks fabulous! I may have to try the peanut burgers with Satay sauce sometime soon.
  • Anyone have a recipe?