What are the counselors like at your center? Mine are really fat:(

• Sounds mean? I dont intend it to, really! BUT, the main two counselors at my center are REALLY overweight...Im doing very well on the plan and like LAWL a lot, but I am just wondering, why would they hire overweight people to sell other people on getting thin?? They talk all about motivation and such and it seems hypocritical, I was just wondering about other centers. And also, I hear a lot about how LAWL is all sales driven and their sales people go in for the kill, etc..why then do the counselors at my center (in suburb of NYC, not somewhere really remote) drive really crappy cars and have seriously, like two outfits each? Something doesnt gel here.
  • Wow-pretty judgemental post! You may not intend it to sound mean-but it does. A lot of the counselors at the centers are former or current clients. Have you asked these counselors if they are on the program? They may have lost 50-100 lbs on the program which would be very encouraging and motivational to many people. And what's very overweight to you? You say you're at 150 and going for 130. Wonderful! My goal is 150-and I'd be lucky to get there-i don't know if my body would stay there. In my mind 150 is a very healthy weight for many people. It's a very subjective thing. Those of us with 100 or more pounds to lose will be doing this for a long time (as your counselors may be), and I hope I am admired for my attitude and perseverence along the way, not what the scale reads.

As far as your comments on their clothes and cars-sounds kinda catty. I'm not at all sure what your point was.
  • Like I originally posted, it wasnt intended that way...a lot can be misconstrued in a post since you cant hear tone or know my sense of humor. Sorry if I offended you..I was trying to get an idea of what other people experience, which I thought was the idea of posting on the board. I didnt want to ask them questions that might offend them, but I will think of a tactful way to ask and do so. I was just shocked to see someone weighing me and being judgemental when they weigh a lot more than I do- nevermind...sorry.
  • No worries-I came in and read that post in a pre-coffee haze and may have been a little too sensitive.

Anyway-asking them their experiences with the program shouldn't be offensive at all. In fact-if they haven't done the program I would be less likely to trust their advice.

At my center-all of the counselors I've talked to have done the program. A couple could stand to lose some more weight. And there a some who I don't think need to lose any weight at all.

Furthermore-if anyone comes of as "judgemental" when they weigh me or talk to me about my diary-i wouldn't see that counselor anymore. I've had annoying counselors, but none that acted judgemental. So-don't let them treat you that way.
  • Deets and Juliemarie - My DSIL and I had that same conversation when we signed up at LAWL. There are 2 ladies there that could stand to lose some more weight. My DSIL told me that she didn't feel comfortable taking WL advice from someone overweight. DSIL didn't have very much to lose, but I did. I told her that maybe the counselors were on the program, and we came to find out that they WERE on the plan. One of them gives the best advice and tips. DSIL quit going to the center and has gaining back what she lost when we first started going together. I hope she decides to go back.

Deets - just remember that its your money and if you don't feel someone overweight should advise you, I don't think its wrong for you to ask for a counselor who has already completed the program. At 150, maybe you might feel more comfortable with someone thin. JMHO.
  • Hi -
    Just wanted to chime in here - I have just returned to my center, everyone is new, and they all seem pretty skinny -- the ones that I've met so far.

Even the fat counselors may be on LAWL now - have you asked them?

About the money thing- we never know where peoples priorities are for the money they earn -- they may have kids at home or at school, or whatever -- or maybe they're like me, and don't want to spend lots of money on new clothes until they lose more weight?

Julie
  • Hi all,
    My center has 3 counselors. The manager is thin now, but she has lost 115 pounds on LAWL. She was over 200 lbs by the 6ht grade. I am thrilled that I am able to visit with her every week, because has really been there. The other girl is 300 lbs, and has lost 100 lbs on LAWL. She is so sweet and understanding. The last girl is stick thin, looks like she has never had a weight problem. While she is very nice, I prefer to see the other two who have been where I am. Hope you all have as great ladies at your center as I do!
  • Thanks
  • There is only one couselor at my center who actually did the program - and she lost a LOT of weight - but she's the manager and I can't stand her.

The other gals are all thin - but haven't done the program - I really don't care who I see or what they say anymore. I'm doing fine on my own - I've lost 28 lbs in less than 4 mos w/o their bars and no exercise- although since I've only got 12 to go, I need to do some exercise to get the scale moving.