Sheppards Pie

• Hi Everyone

Does anyone out there have a receipe for a lower calorie version of Sheppards
    Pie. Would appreciate any suggestions
  • You mean the meat mixture with mashed potatoes on top .... haven't had it for years but it is wonderful.

I think I'd have a stab at using ground chicken or turkey, sauce it up with a low cal/lowfat soup and go heavier on the vegetables than usual.

I found this
    http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63580
    that'd be worth a try for the topping.
  • I have a WONDERFUL recipe for Shepard's Pie. If you're on the Weight Watcher's program, it's only 5 pts. per serving. Enjoy!

SHEPARDS PIE
    (6 servings 5 points)

2 large potatoes
    1/2 cup fat free sour cream
    1 Tbs reduced calorie margarine
    1/8 tsp salt
    2 tsp olive oil
    1 cup chopped onion
    2 med. carrots chopped
    2 med. celery chopped
    1 lb ground turkey breast
    3 Tbs flour
    1 Tbs rosemary
    1 tsp thyme
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp pepper
    2 cup can 98% fat free chicken broth

Boil potatoes and drain. Mash with sour cream and
    margarine. Season with salt. Heat oil add onion,
    carrots and celery. Cook 3 min. Add turkey breaking up meat
    Cook 5 more min. Add flour, rosemary, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt
    and pepper stir to coat. Bring to simmer. Simmer 3 min.
    Transfer turkey mix to 9 in. pie plate. Spread mashed
    potatoes over top. Swirl with back of spoon.
    Bake at 350 for 30 min.

• Thanks for the receipe, it sounds great. I'm not on the weight watcher diet, I'm counting calories. Any idea how many calories? I know weight watchers have a lot of great receipes but I don't know how many calories are in them because they go by points.

Debbie
  • Cooking Light
    Hi Debbie.....

There is an awesome Shepard's Pie recipe on the Cooking Light magazine website. It's made with the leftovers from a Pot Roast on the same website. It is made with beef, and is phenomenal. Each serving is only 228 calories and 7 grams of fat, and the serving sizes are big! My husband LOVES this meal. I've never tasted Shepard's Pie in my life, let alone made it until I found it through Cooking Light. Now my husband asks for it all the time.

I just don't know the legalities of reproducing a recipe that I've found through another website, so, you may be able to access the website at cookinglight.com if you are an AOL member and the recipe is called "Cozy Shepard's Pie". You may have to have a subscription to the magazine. If you don't have one I would HIGHLY recommend it because it is such a great magazine with great healthy recipes. And I think the subscription is only $24 a year.