jicama chips

• that's right i said it CHIPS!!!!!!

i was bored earlier this evening and decided to do some culinary experimentation and i came up with this. a little sweeter than potato chips but they really helpp with the craving for potato chips (i am a salt person so i crave them more than dessers). i would love people's feedback.

2 cups jicama
    3 tbsp olive oil
    chili powder, as much as you want for spiciness (i used 2 tbsp)
    1 tbsp cumin
    1 tsp white pepper

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
    Slice the jicama as thin as possible. mix oil, chili powder, cumin and white pepper in a large mixing bowl. add jicama and toss until jicama is covered. Place the jicama on a baking sheet in one layer. Bake in oven until browned at the edges. Remove from oven. Using a paper towl dab off any excess oil (don't dab too hard or you'll also remove all the spices). Let cool and set about 15 minutes.

Enjoy

serves 2 (the Jicama shrinks considerably in cooking)
    Nutritional Information: 266 cals; 22 g fat; 18 g carbs; 10 g dietry fibre; 2.5 g protein
  • Wow!! This sounds really good!! Next time I go to the store I am going to get Jicama!! Thanks!!
  • what is jicama
  • jicama is part of the root family, and has a slightly apple like texture and a gently sweet taste. its white, often in store made veggie trays......
  • do you have to peel it first? or leave the peel on?
  • Tasma5, Peel Jicama . It's a wonderful root vegetable. Crunchy! It reminds me water chestnuts -- and if you "miss" some crunch in your salads, add it, you won't miss croutons at all.
  • I actually just tried these but used splenda and cinnamon instead of the cumin, chili powder, and pepper. I thought they were great!! I am a sweets person and so this will really work for me. I am going to try them the savory way tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion nefarious_wytch!! =)
  • results not as expected
    I thought these sounded interesting & gave it a shot. I tried using my convection oven & used a mandolin to slice super thin then baked as directed - results were soggy chips. Then I tried baking on acooling rack - resulting in burnt soggy chips! Not my cup of tea!
  • Great recipe! Thanks for sharing!

I like to use jicama instead of potatoes in hash browns. Lower carb, and I toss them with olive oil, salt and pepper and a little cayenne and bake them in the oven in little nests at 450 until crisped and golden. Very nice with a poached egg on top.