How's this for a kick in the pants?

• My dad is diagnosed with type II Diabetes. He has always reported that his blood sugars are controlled, and he eats healthy foods--not much sugar, not much processed foods. He is, however, between 325-350 pounds. But he reported to me that he was under control, so I had to accept that.

Until this last monday, when he reported to me that he's been put on insulin because he's worked his way through ALL the other oral meds and they can't control his sugars anymore. WHAT??? Here I was under the impression that he's fine and he turns around and tells me he's on insulin now?? I was, and am, really upset. There's nothing after insulin--insulin is the LAST option they have. His doctors have told him that he's scheduled in for 1-on-1 counseling/dietician sessions, and they will do whatever they have to do to get his weight down.

This is freaking me out. Partially because this is my dad, and partially because I am very obviously my father's child. I have his short legs, his long torso, his heavy bones, his easily-built musculature. He has never had any "inherent" problems--no allergies, no sensitivities, no issues. Until this. I'm now terrified that I also have his "hidden" issues. I've been a gym goer for 15 years and I have (for the time being) a strong and healthy heart. My blood pressure is ~120/80 (yesterday it was 121/83) and my cholesterol is 172. So from that point I'm fine...but I'm still overweight. And now I'm freaked out that that's not enough. I need to get this weight off before it starts to kill me. I can't keep fooling myself. As good as my numbers are now, what's going to happen when I'm 50? My body could be gradually dying, because of this weight.

So there's my determination to get it off.

Sorry, there was really no point to this, I just needed to vent and freak out a little bit.
  • Hi. I'm really sorry to hear about your dad. I can only imagine how hard it is on you. I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
  • I'm so sorry to hear he has to go on insulin. You are making steps in the right direction by wanting to lose weight.

It has been my experience with diabetics that they tend to be in denial. They think they are controlling it with diet and even the ones I know taking pills still don't modify their diet much. It's not until it's time to pull out the needles with the insulin do they realize they have a huge problem on their hands.
  • I'm sorry to hear of your dad's condition. If he hasn't been completely honest about his eating, hopefully this is the wake-up call he needs to take his health seriously.

You're doing the right things to keep your numbers good, so keep that up. I'm a firm believer in genetics being a factor, but believe just as firmly that we have the power to overcome what nature gave us. You've got the exercise thing down pat, so its time to really concentrate on food. You can do it ~ good luck!
  • I'm so sorry to hear about your dad! My MIL is deeply in denial about the state of her Diabetes as well, and doesn't even try to watch her diet. I'm glad to see that you've been able to use this bit of bad news as newfound motivation to prevent the same thing from happening to you. Sometimes that's all it takes. Good luck!!

Beverly
  • I'm sorry to hear about your Dad. I've been worry myself about the same developing diabetes lately too, it's one of my main motivators for losing weight as it runs in my family and like you, I'm absolutely terrified of the thought of getting it.

It sounds to me like you're doing all of the right things to avoid diabetes. Exercise is great because it can lower your blood sugar, and it helps insulin to work better among it's other benefits. It sounds like you've got that down.
  • As a registered nurse I've give care to a lot of diabetics. I think you have some wrong information. Not all diabetics progress from oral meds to insulin. Some go straight to insulin because their body is no longer producing it. This does not necessarily reflect on how your dad has been eating. The oral meds he was taking were helping to produce insulin. It could be that he cannot produce enough insulin even if he did lose weight, it could be that his pancreas is just not producing insulin period. Also there is this misconception that only fat people are diabetics. I've given care to plenty of people within normal weight who had to take insulin. Some people's diabetes progress from oral meds to insulin, some people go right to insulin and there is a possibility that he may go back to oral meds. I hope he is able to see a diabetic clinician as well as a dietician, they are wonderful at helping to figure out how much insulin and what kind of insulin to take.
  • Thank you all for your well wishes.

Jen, I'm not sure what his doctor has told him, or what his particular situation is (he tends to be tight-lipped about it). I DO know that he's been on several different oral meds, and his doctors have been changing him off of them in attempts to control his blood sugar (obviously). Each one of them worked for a bit, then stopped working. His weight has been just about the same this whole time (about 7 years). Then this time he went to the doctor they said his sugars were too high--consistent, but still at too high a level. So they switched him to insulin, with the promise that if that brought his sugars down and his weight came down, he could go off insulin and try oral meds again. Does that sound like...anything?
  • Mousie, I'm sorry to hear about your dad. My mom has type II diabetes as well, but with losing weight it has been better controlled lately. I'm sure your dad (and your whole family) will ultimately become healthier as a result of the diagnosis, though. Especially when he sees the nutritionist.
  • I absolutely agree with Jen. There is a lot of misinformation generally out there about diabetes ( I manage a Public Health program which includes diabetes educators in Canada). For sure your dad should see a nurse and dietitcian who specialize in diabetes if available. Also check out the American Diabetes Assoc website. Hang in there. I had gestational diabetes a year ago with my 3rd babe and am very much at risk because of that. I understand the fear of diabetes and all that goes with it. Good luck!
  • Good Luck! My brother was diagnosed a few years ago and we really worry about him because he does NOT manage his eating. He's on oral meds now and the doctor told him that if he doesn't get it under control, he'll be insulin dependant.

This is a good starting off point for you. Good Luck - you can do it!