odd side-effect of phase two

• Has anyone else developed a gas problem with phase two? I was fine on phase one (and I did it for four weeks). However, I have been on phase two for two weeks, and am having a terrible problem with gas. I've always been a big vegetable eater, and haven't changed my vegetable intake on the diet, so I am at a loss as to what is causing the problem! It's starting to be a real nuisance.

Any ideas???
  • Any other recent changes? Types of veggies? Seasonings? Or possibly a reaction to some grains? Have you tried eating yogurt - the kind with several different kinds of cultures in it - to boost your "fauna"?
  • Have you been eating any of the so-called sugar-free products? Malitol, sorbitol and the other sugal alcohols can cause gas.
  • introducing a lot of new foods to your diet will do that. i can't tell you the problem i had when i stopped being a vegetarian. its just your body trying to adapt to the new foods. it will stop.
  • water more fiber, less movement without water
  • Thanks for all the ideas--I've been thinking it may be from eating meat. I never was big meat eater before. That's really the only change I've made, as I've always eaten a ton of veggies. Is it possible the increased meat amounts could be causing it? I'm not eating much meat, but definitely more than before!
  • When I started SBD the gas practically went away! I used to compete with my DH and DS's prior to that, and would usually win. My husband said I fa**ted like a man! Not really something to be proud of! When I caught a cold and started using SF cough drops, the gas increased. I think Ruthxxx is right on the money!
  • *sigh* I've tried everything I can think of (and everything that's been suggested), and it's only gotten worse. After two months, I am thinking of asking my doctor! I also am going back to phase one for a week or two, to see if it helps (I didn't have a problem til I started phase 2)!

Any other ideas? Never in my entire life have I had such an awful problem! But, I don't want to go off the diet, as I am enjoying having lost two pants sizes since July!

Laura
  • Do you eat a lot of legumes?
  • <<Do you eat a lot of legumes?>>

Yes, but I always have and never had trouble before. Really, the only dietary change I've made is to reduce the bad carbs (for me, mainly ice cream, potatoes and white buns at McDonald's). I probably eat fewer total carbs than I used to, but only because I've always been a big veggie eater, and most of my carbs came from McDonald's. (I get free food there as a manager, so it has always been a big temptation!).