Pounds Vs. Inches

You're on Page 2 of 3
Go to
  • Hey Jill
    I think, though I am not sure that the reason I do not feel sore from doing Tae-Bo is because I already have a lot of muscle. I'm not trying to look like a body builder, but I have a lot of muscle esp in my thighs so maybe that is why I do not feel it as much. I've been doing the Basic and I just got the Advanced and the 8-minute Tae-Bo.
  • Ya'll are making me want Tae-Bo tapes! Share! *G*

And that is my random comment of the day.
  • Just wanted to mention, unless you're doing massive amounts of drugs or injecting testosterone somehow, it's almost impossible to end up bulky. Building muscle is building muscle, whether you're doing it from Tae Bo or weight lifting or farm work. Weight lifting is more direct and can increase muscle faster, but the whole "women bulking up from weights" thing is a myth I was scared to try anything but mild "toning" for a long time, and now I kick myself for all of the time I wasted doing ineffective movements.

If you're losing inches while working out then you're losing fat somehow. I would guess that you're gaining water weight, and that's what is keeping you from seeing a scale loss. Every time you work those muscles you're creating tiny tears, and those fill up with fluid to heal and rebuild themselves. They rebuild slightly bigger and better, which is what gives you muscle gains. I wouldn't say that you'll keep making huge gains from Tae Bo (it's very hard to gain muscle for women), but you've almost certainly gained a bit just from using them. They say you make your biggest gains in the first few months. Losing inches is what it's all about anyway, and if you give it time you'll not only see a scale loss, but your metabolism will be faster, meaning better losses in the future.

I feel you on the frustration, though. I added weight training to my routine about 6 weeks ago, and I've lost 7 inches but no lbs, eating at about the same level as before. I want to be fabulous and healthy and able to eat more at goal, so I'm just ignoring the scale for now and focusing on exercise and nutrition. Measure and keep up the good work, and don't let the scale bring you down
  • Yeah, I'm not worried about looking like a body builder. No offense to any body builder who could possibly read this, but I think they look a little...special. I do have a lot of muscle and I do want to lose fat to show it off, I just don't want to be bulky. And, since I am not doing anything to make me bulky (steriods) I'm not worried. Since I cannot go to the gym, I think I should invest in some free weights. WOW!! Did you lose 7 inces from one body part or all over? Either way, to do it in such a short time is GREAT!
  • Yeah, I have no desire to be that muscley, but it's nice to know I don't have to worry about it either (ha! as if).

My DB traded a guitar for a weight bench, but we have a very cheap home setup. You can have an entire home "gym" consisting of a barbell, dumbells, swiss ball, jumprope, resistence bands, etc. for under $100. There are also a million things you can do at home to train, from using soup cans to sand bags to your own body weight or the toddler next door for resistence (bonus points if you have your own toddler. The resistence goes up as they get older and squirmier! ) Carrying sandbags (or even heavy groceries) up and down a set of stairs is some full body workout, let me tell you! Stumptuous has some good examples. She also has a great workout using only dumbbells at home. ExRx also has a body map I use when I need a new exercise (I get bored sooo easy). You just click on the body part and it lists exercises and what equiptment you need to do them. It also has examples just in case you're a clutz with poor form like myself. I got a really cool barbell pullover exercise from there that has almost completely rid me of that pesky bra strap roll/hangover I've always had.

I lost 7 inches all over since beginning this new routine (a lot of it in the waist and lower body, nothing in the arm area yet, sadly), but I had a lot of room for improvement. After losing so much without WT, it was getting to the point where I could envision myself being very unhappy at goal with my shape (and dare I say flab ) I plan on making these last 10 lbs count, though. Even if it means I have to wait longer for them. And I think I'll be pretty happy at goal after this.

BTW, I'm very jealous of your location. I've been trying to move to Oregon for years, have lots of friends there. I'm going there next spring and can't wait to see the Pacific again

Seriously, keep up the good work and you'll get there. And just remember, beating up the scale with a sledgehammer is not only theraputic, it also targets the shoulders and upper back
  • Quote: Amandaholly, why don't you like the machines at the gym? I think they are great...when I can actually get to the gym. I've been hearing about the Body for Life program, but I haven't really read into it yet. LOL, the only thing I'm doing to really build muscle now are push ups. One day I will work up to the military style push up, but for now...I'm ok with the bent knee. Jillybean said that Tae Bo builds muscle, so I guess I will count that as strength training. I just don't feel like I'm building muscle when I do Tae bo. But you know, my tummy is a lil sore after one of Billy's workouts.
    UniversityPrincess - Sorry it took me so long to reply. I'm going to have to recommend the same link that I posted in my thread yesterday (on dependence) www.stumptuous.com/weights_index_revision.html

Also check out my thread from yesterday, I put in a bunch of useful links...many of which tout the benefits of free weights. The number one reason to use free weights (other than accessability and affordability) is the results you will get. When you use dumbbells your body is not only forced to lift the weight, but is also made to *balance* the weight, which in turn employs more muscles per exercise. When you are using a machine you are simply moving a set of weights along a predetermined track. The problem with this is that every body is made differently, and many of those machines really are made for men. Admit it, how many time have you sat at one of those machines, adjusted and readjusted the seat/pads/etc, and yet something still just doesn't feel quite right. You go through the required movements and something just doesn't seem *natural*. Maybe that shoulder machine has an uncomfortable starting position..."are my arms supposed to bend backwards like this"? That's where free weights come in. They are fully customizable (sp?) and employ more muscles per exercise. There are, however, some machines that are beneficial, and if you check the above link I think she goes through them. Good luck, and thanks for reminding me to dust off my Tae Bo tapes...maybe this will get me out of my exercise slump

Amanda
  • Jennifer, LOL, that is crazy! You want to come to Oregon and I am trying to figure out how to run away as quick as possible. Where are you at? Maybe we can switch places, lol. Hummmmm scale and a sledgehammer...I think you are right, that would be fantastic exercise! I've tried the soup can thing, but I end up losing interest in them quicker than I would if they were dumbbells...Then, I think...maybe I could eat what is in this can! Bad, I know.

Amanda, I did not know that those machines were built for men! But now that you mention it, it was VERY difficult to get a good position on them...some machines I didnt have that problem with...and others I would just REFUSE to get on! I'll make sure to check out those links you posted.

I'm not sure what is going on with my weight now. I got on one scale at the store and it said 235...then got on another and it said 222! Personally, I do not think I am either one of those numbers. 222 would be nice right now, but I don't think I've lost that much weight. And now, I'm having issues trying to measure AGAIN! LOL, is there someone I could pay to do this for me? Maybe they could be a lil more consistant.
  • UniversityPrincess - Store scale??? Girl don't even bother with those things! Here's an idea, see if your doctor will let you come in periodically just to weigh yourself. Either that or just skip the scale and use the pants-o-meter (I know, a funny concept coming from the girl who weighs every morning without fail). Good luck. As far as paying someone to do it for you, join Curves...although I didn't ever get in there to exercise, at least they did all the measuring/weighing for me. Just ignore that goofy hand-held fat percentage reader

Amanda
  • LOL at Pants-o-meter, Amanda! I did that for a lil while, I wear a size 20, but I realized it would have been a 22 if there were not strech jeans. So a mini goal of mine was to get back into non strech 20's. I did that...I was so happy. But the crazy thing is, I usually don't notice any difference in my body from when I was at my heaviest until now. Other people do, and I do when I see my pics on my camera phone that I took of my face (I dont' have to go to the store and develop those).

I don't have a doctor right now, so I can't go have her/him weigh me...any more ideas? I used to use the scale at my schoo gym. It was archaic, but I didn't think they did anything to tamper with it so I trusted it, but now, I am 125 miles away from that scale.
  • U.Princess - The next best thing I can think of is...do you have a drug store near you, like a CVS or something? I'm not sure if that was the store scale you were talking about, but hey, it's better than nothing. Before I bought the scale I have now (a pretty accurate digital one from Costco, $40) I used to weigh in at my local CVS, and I have to say that I think it was fairly accurate. Give it a try! Good luck!

Amanda
  • Amanda, no, I was talking about the display scale they put out on the floor. I don't know if we have a CVC...but i know that GMC has a scale that you can pay 50 cents to use. I've never tried it. Whenever I find a job...I'll be sure to buy a scale so I can get an accurate reading. Thank you!

Mel
  • I always worried that the scale at GNC will announce my weight to the world just like it says "Have you checked your weight today?"

Have you looked into buying a scale for home use? Sometimes they have good deals on decent models. Mine does body fat (though I don't trust those numbers) and weighs to .5lbs.
  • Hummmmmm didn't think about that. Everyone in the mall turning around to see me standing on the scale...LOL When I was at Walmart and standing on the scale, some woman blatently came and looked at it! I mean didn't try to hide that she was looking at the scale with me on it. My mother was with me and we laughed at her. Thank goodness I'm not ashamed of my weight...

Liz, yes, I have looked into buying a scale...unfortunately they are usually out of my price range. I actually went looking again the other day at Walmart, found some cheap ones...stood on it and none of them said anywhere near to the correct weight. The last time I weighed I was 230...I figure I could have gained 2 pounds or I could have lost 2 pounds...either/or. On these scales (that are in my price range) I weighed anywhere from 222 all the way up to 240.

Mel
  • I remember once when we were at Bed Bath & Beyond and I stepped on one of the scales and my boyfriend peeked and said there is NO way you weigh 180lbs! i was beyond embarrassed and this woman walking past just sort of shook her head and looked at me sympathetically.
  • A little bit back in subjects, but I really love the TaeBo Cardio Circuit 1&2 DVDs. One is only 35 minutes, so I can fit it in whenever, and then two is for days when i have more time (53 min.). I really notice that I feel smaller and less floppy on days after I do them. Also, I got Billy Blanks' book from the library, and he really does inspire you to believe in what you're doing, so if you need extra motivation, I would check it out. I am definitely in agreement that I wouldn't care if the scale said 500# if I could fit into a size 8!!!

ab