New nursing momma!

• Hi! :waves
    I just joined a few days ago!
    I've got alot of weight to loose but have to watch my calories due to nursing.
    I've been stuggling with a VERY low milk supply but we are hanging in there and supplimenting with Horizon Organic formula.
    I have recently read that women can face low supply issues with being overweight, I'm so curious about this and am trying to loose it and see with my next babe!
  • Hi Rainbow! I never heard that...interesting though. I had a horrible supply with both my boys, and in fact DS#2 just weaned. He went on strike twice in a month and just wouldn't take it no matter what. I work F/T and I just couldn't pump 24/7, I was getting too stressed out. At least he got almost 6 months of the good stuff!
  • Ooh, I see those pretty initials up there HBAC. That's exactly what I'm planning this time!

Welcome! I have never heard about overweight women per se having supply issues, but I know that some of the health conditions that overweight women have can play into it--especially PCOS. (Which, unfortunately, is something very few LLL consulatants know about!) I know some women have tried herbs with success. I took brewer's yeast in the early days after having Linda, when I was paranoid about supply.

Congratulations for sticking with it! Nursing can be complicated enough without adding in supply issues.
  • Hi LBH thanx for the welcome!

GreatBigMonsterMomma: Good luck with your HBAC! This was the most empowering experience i have EVER had! It was just.. AMAZING! I'm still on a high!!! hard hard work but so so worth it!
    I ahve tried oatmeal, brewers yeast, fenugreek, pumping, aromathreapy spray etc.. to try and increase have no idea what else to do...
    I know nothing about PCOS going to look it up now!
  • There are two prescription medications, Domperidone and Reglan, which have been said to increase milk supply, but they don't work for everyone. I know someone on another board who has tried both of them to no avail. It's not like you haven't already tried just about everything, right? Every drop is something to be proud of. You do what you can, & don't feel compelled to apologize for what you can't. If you also had supply issues with your first, there is a very good chance that it's not something that can be changed.

As far as PCOS goes, if you haven't already found it yourself, this is an excellent resource on the topic: INCIID PCOS FAQ. Especially if you had problems conceiving either time you should check it out, but the condition is more than merely a reproductive one.
  • I was on Reglan (well, the generic) and it worked great! You could also try oatmeal or Fenugreek.