Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 06-20-2005, 07:30 PM   #1  

Default I really need advice!

I have been doing the ripped workout (www.rippedworkout.ca) faithfully since January 3 x per week total body along with the video. The video is basically high reps low weight but I have increased my weight significantly since starting so I am lifting pretty heavy, for me anyway. I have not really seen much for results although I am lifting to failure (my muscles are shaking and burning big time when I am done each body part). I have noticed I am getting a little bicep and my butt has lifted and that's about it. I don't need to lose weight (although who doesn't want to lose 5 more lbs!) but I am flabby and really want a nice tight and toned body. My question is, should I be doing something else and forget about this video? Should I just be doing 3 sets of 12-15 reps to reach failure? I do cardio about 3x per week about 30 minutes each time. Sorry for the long post I am just really frustrated and ready to give up! HELP!!
Gumbygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2005, 09:06 PM   #2  
Mel

I just went and looked at the Ripped site and read all their promo materials. Congratulations! I think you've outgrown the workout

Most exercise professionsals would disagree with some of their "science":

Quote:
... since the predominant energy source is carbohydrates, lactic acid readily accumulates through the exercise sequences. Lactic acid is a major stimulus for muscle growth which supports why participants significantly increase their strength although the loads for the program are relatively low compared to traditional weight training.
... participants achieve similar caloric expenditures compared to a running on a treadmill. Therefore, this class can be used a substitute for individuals seeking high caloric burning activities such as running.
My initial reaction to your post was that no matter what you've been doing, if you've been doing it faithfully three times a week since January, it's time to change things up! Muscles are stimulated by progressive load and change. You need to do both. I'd be willing to bet a lot that Jari Love did not get ripped doing the same full body workouts 3 times a week If you want to see dramatic changes in your body, you need to really change what you are doing. In the same amount of workout time, you could split your workout and really concentrate on more weight and more time per body part. It sounds like you are at a fitness level where you'd benefit by doing a 3 day split. Do you have access to a gym?

You can see significant strength increases without seeing much change in muscle mass, and that sounds like what is happening. A high-rep, "cardio-type" program will do exactly that. By using lower weights and higher reps and keeping yourself in a fatburning state throughout the workout, you are doing endurance training rather than training to increase muscle mass. Muscle is what will give you the tight, flabless body you want.

BUT, you've certainly increased your fitness level since January and given yourself a good basis for the next phase of your exercise program

Hope that helps... feel free to ask more questions or hop onto our daily thread.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 AM   #3  

Thanks Mel! I always value your opinion when "lurking" around the boards! So how would I do a 3 day split? Right now I am doing total body 3x a week and spending approximately 45-55 minutes per workout. What is the benefit for a 3 day split? Thanks, and sorry about all the questions. I am really anxious to shake things up a bit!
Old 06-21-2005, 02:40 AM   #4  

Forgot to mention Mel that I use dumbbells at home but we do have a cheap weight machine but not alot you can do on it so I always prefer to use the dumbbells.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:18 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

My 4 day split goes like this:

Monday: Legs
Wednesday: Shoulders, abs
Friday: Chest and triceps
Sunday: Back and biceps

Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday -- cardio usually running or biking...

Sometimes I may do cardio after the weight workouts.... Some weeks I do cardio everyday... I rarely do the same exercises every week for my weight workouts... I shake things up that way... I also shake things up with food having lower carb days and higher ones...

Just my 2 cents ... TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:59 AM   #6  

If I only work my lower body say once a week that's less than I am doing now. I do total body 3x per week. Won't my results be slower working one body part per week? Sorry for the all the questions
Old 06-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #7  

I've been trying to figure out how to ask the question I have but just couldn't quite figure out how to ask it in a way that made sense. Mel, your response to gumbygirl touches on the information I am looking for. So, here is my question:

I have incorporated weight training into my routine since I began losing weight back in December. I do full body workouts every other day and have gradually increased the weights I use over time. I begin in a range that allows me to do about 3 reps of 8. Once I am able to to 10 reps I increase the weight again. I regularly try new exercises although I do have favorites that I always do just because I like how they feel. I have achieved exactly the results I had hoped for and I don't have any desire to add any additional muscle mass. However, I do want to keep using weights for all of the other health benefits that resistence training offers and absolutley want to keep the "strong" feeling that I've come to enjoy. I still have 20-30 pounds (won't know till I get there!) of fat to lose and realize what a significant part weights play in helping me get rid of them.

Do I understand from your post that, at this point, I should increase the reps I do and maintain the weight in order to continue the benefits of resistence training without adding additional mass? I am not at all concerned about "bulking up" but I can feel and see enough muscle at this point to know they the size and shape that I find most attractive for my particular build.

Thank you so much for your help. Although I don't have the desire to do serious lifting (right now anyway!) I have learned so much by reading the posts in this forum. It has really had quite an impact on my efforts to lose weight and shape my body. Thanks again!
lucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:27 AM   #8  
Mel

Jawsmom and Gumbygirl- If you change from a full body workout to a split, it gives you more time to devote to individual body parts, and more recovery time. What you'll see is more dramatic results. You've plateaued with your current workout. It's pretty much the workout I used for years, and while I was losing weight. I was profoundly disappointed in my body when I reached my goal weight because my body, while strong, did not look tight and jiggle-free. Heavier weights (unless you have an unusual propensity for muscle building or hormonal issues such as PCOS) will NOT bulk you up; fat on top of muscle will bulk you up.

If you are please with the results of your current workout, Jawsmom, stay with it. I'd just suggest changing the exercises from time to time. Keep increasing the weights. There are dozens of ways to work each muscle, be creative!

Gumbygirl: If you want to work more body parts more frequently than once a week, I'd suggest a Body for Life style split:
Week 1 Day 1: Upper Body
Week 1 Day 2: Cardio
Week 1 Day 3: Lower Body
Week 1 Day 4: Cardio
Week 1 Day 5: Upper Body
Week 1 Day 6: Cardio
Week 1 Day 7: rest
Week 2 Day 1: Lower Body
Week 2 Day 2: Cardio
Week 2 Day 3: Upper Body
Week 2 Day 4: Cardio
Week 2 Day 5: Lower Body
Week 2 Day 6: Cardio
Week 2 Day 7: rest
Repeat....

For other ideas, take a look at the web-site www.stumptuous.com, or the books Body for Life for Women by Pamela Peeke or the Body Sculpting Bible.

Mel
Old 06-21-2005, 11:28 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I have found that I CAN'T work each muscle grouping more than once a week. They are too sore. As for results, by focusing each day on only one area and hitting that area with several different exercises and working to failure, I am seeing great development. Then it has 6 days to recover and rebuild before I hit it again.

My split is this:

Sunday legs
Monday light cardio
Tuesday hard cardio
Wednesday Shoulders cardio
Thursday Chest and tris cardio
Fridays Hard Cardio
Saturday Back and bis cardio
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 11:41 AM   #10  

I promise Mel, last question So, if I do my cardio on the treadmill would 30 minutes be enough? What I normally do is warmup for 10 minutes (at about 3.5 mph), then alternate between walking (about 4 mph) and jogging (about 5 mph) for 30 minutes. And, how many reps and sets should I be doing? I have heard so many different theories that I am so confused. Being that I am not new to weight lifting would 3 sets of 12-15 reps be ok or what would you suggest? I am baffled that a person will see more dramatic results by only working one body part 1-2x per week, but sounds good to me. I guess that was more than one question Mel! Thanks for all your help!
Old 06-21-2005, 06:37 PM   #11  
Mel

If you don't need to lose weight, that should be fine for cardio. I'd still suggest changing it so that you don't always do the same kind of cardio, but the treadmill is very effective as long as you get your heart rate up.

As for sets and rep, it really depends on your goals. If you want to gain a little more muscle mass (remember, little more is the key word here ) and decrease your body fat, I'd suggest increasing your weight with each set and decreasing your reps. Three to four sets with a rep scheme of 12-10-8-(6-8) reps getting heavier with each set would work well. Keeping your reps in the 12-15 rep range will increase your endurance but not necessarily muscle mass.

Suspend disbelief! Give it 8 to 10 weeks to see results

Mel
Old 06-21-2005, 06:47 PM   #12  

Well you convinced me Mel to try the BFL training plan with alternating between upper and lower body like you suggested and also I will try your suggestion (like BFL) to increase your weight with fewer reps. I am so excited to try this tomorrow! Thanks for your patience Mel with all my questions you really have helped me tremendously!!