Staying Core Clean On Core Board #19!

You're on Page 16 of 20
Go to
  • Yes Sandra, share your recipe!
    Vickie, hope your cola chicken turned out thick enough. I think that I'm going to make that tomorrow night!
  • Kathy, where did you go? Don't you want to discuss squid? That looks so gross. I've never eaten it and I don't plan on it anytime soon.
    I feel a ramble coming on.
    You know I was so disappointed when the scale was up this morning, even though I knew it would be after the way I ate yesterday...the other morning when I weighed I was 193 and I was thinking how close to the 180's that is...and I was so excited. I guess I just need to channel that into motivation!
    Oh by the way Kathy thanks for the soup suggestions. I think I will load it tomorrow with sour cream, cheese, and tomatoes. I'll also have a salad so that will help.
  • I like calamari, but it has to be fried and I have to dip it in some sauce.

I take a can of black beans and add all sorts of stuff like salsa and sour cream on top. I know I've got it right when my nose starts running!!

Aaron hear anything yet? If not, does he know how long? I know Baptists don't get in a big hurry about these things, but good grief ... this is important!!! My brother is a youth and education minister part-time (and an architect full-time) but is wanting to go full-time church and leave the world of drawing far behind.
  • I love black beans. We eat them almost every day.
    We haven't heard anything yet. Thanks for asking. Their pastor is out of town until next week, so I think that probably has something to do with it. Plus it has to go through committee stuff, so who knows? He is hoping to hear something, at least an idea of how long it could possibly be, just something you know. Maybe sometime this week? Who knows. Your brother must be a very, very busy man!
  • Yep, he's busy. He's also an amateur actor. He was Simon Peter in The Promise in Glen Rose, Texas for several years. In fact, I'll tell a story.
  • My sister was very ill with cancer, and in hospice. Kevin (my brother) had been in practice for months and for the dress rehearsal on June 6, 2002, he knew she wouldn't last much longer. He had to go on with the show though, as they say. On Friday, June 7th (3 years ago tomorrow), she passed away at around 5:00. We called him and of course he was devastated, but couldn't leave. He went thru with the performance, and also did the Saturday performance. He and his wife left immediately after it and arrived at my parents' house early the next morning.

We were talking to him that day and we asked how the performances went. He said it was pretty rough. We knew that on Friday night (the night she died) that he would have a hard time with it, so we gathered around my parents' living room holding hands, and prayed for him. Then on Sunday morning, when we were telling him about it, he said ... that's funny. Right before the performance started, the whole cast was gathered around, holding hands, and praying for you guys.

Talk about a gut-wrenching moment. I think we were all in tears. But my brother is such a great guy, he even managed to sing at my sister's funeral.
  • Kathy, that is a beautiful story. I've got tears in my eyes. My prayers and thoughts go out to you and your family as you deal with this difficult anniversary. The power of God and prayer are really amazing. I'm often astounded by "coincidences" that aren't coincidences at all. Thanks for sharing your story.
  • Thanks so much ... she was my only sister and now it's just the two of us. I had the days wrong though -- I'm bad about stuff like that -- it was the 7th. I always get confused because of June being the 6th month, etc. It doesn't matter.

Anyway, we are so grateful to have had her. I think she was the best kid of the three of us!
  • Kathy - sending you special thoughts at this difficult time - I know you all must miss her a lot!

Vickie - congrats on the great shopping trip - so how was the chicken anyways? As for my "virgin" lbs - had to laugh as I have lost them a few times before but they keep coming back - boomerang pounds are more like it!

..and Terry I'm just cracking up about the chubby sub guys who can't leave the sub - how horrible would that be!!!

I think I need to menu plan better too - I usually have lots of choices in the freezer/pantry but sometimes too lazy to defrost or think of what we'll be eating. I agree that core eating is much easier when you plan and/or cook ahead of time.

Still hot and muggy here w/a thunderstorm watch in effect - last night I was awoken w/huge raindrops and thunder and might be the same tonight?

Did not eat "core' tonight but at least I did not go too crazy. Found some leftover 'focaccia" from gf's visit and just warmed that up (breadlike bottom w/roasted grilled veggies on top and a drizzle of feta cheese) - just had two smallish squares w/diet pepsi, and some popcorn, and that was that. Was planning to exercise later so I put on my exercise gear (this was to mentally prepare myself..ha ha ha), but then lay down on the bed for a few minutes and FELL ASLEEP! This is a rare event!

I slept from around 6:30 to 9 pm!!! Dh was of course trying to keep the noise down and kiddies out of our room.

Got up around 9:30 cuz I really don't want to be up at 2 am or something like that. Went downstairs and had a sf/lf fudge bar and here I am! In my jammies now and going to try to read and then get more sleep - I am obviously more sleep deprived than I thought so catching up is not a bad idea.

Must remember dd has an orthodontist appt at 8:40 am (last time I was almost out the door to work before she reminded me!).

TOM is "hovering" and making me crazy - still feeling quite emotional and easily upset and out of control - I hate that feeling. I hope then when TOM finally arrives I will start feeling better? I just realized that I will probably have to do back-to-back pills again as looks like TOM will be arriving prior to my trip to Florida - I don't think so!!! Of course last time I did this (Jamaica) I had my famous (infamous??) 3 week period so not sure if this is such a good idea!

As for squid - I also like calamari - if made nicely w/a dipping sauce. The first time I had squid was on vacation in Venezuela - sitting around the pool at noon w/this cooking demonstration going on - they were making this fabulous smelling paella. Then of course they then passed around "samples" and here I am munching away - what are this "rings" I asked a lady next to me - squid, she replies. Good thing my sunglasses were on so she did not see my eyes bug out - I know I would never have tried it had I known what it was - so I was pleasantly surprised at how yummy it was and proud of myself for eating squid for the first time! Had it again a while later on a cruise ship - greek night - and it was "calamari" - fried and w/dip and it was FANTASTIC - we ended up ordering a couple more plates for the table! Probably supremely fattening too of course

Froufie
  • kathy, i'm sending you a cyber hug. this time of year must be tough on your whole family.

melissa, i hope aaron and you hear soon. the suspense must be unbearable. i've been upset about my gain all day, too. we're going to wi this fri instead of next monday, aren't we?

vickie, thank you for asking. i posted the recipe over on main dishes. i also posted another recipe i got online. i haven't tried it yet, but it looks good.

we watched the scholar earlier. it's good to have some good old reality shows back on. i was getting very bored. i snacked tonight on another serving of the core mexican casserole i'd made. so did dh. at least it was a core snack. i didn't do the treadmill. my tootsie is a little sore. i'm planning to start exercising tomorrow.

have a good evening. i'll catch you later.
  • Who was looking for the George Foreman grill??? Just saw it on QVC. It's the one with the bun warmer and the removeable grills. It is today's special value at $53.86 says it was originally $76.00. Thought that was a good price.

Lisa
  • Frouf, glad to hear that you got some sleep, even if it was unintentional! You probably need rest even more than you need exercise.

Sandra, yup, we're weighing in on Friday. I think I am switching to Fridays for good, and this week is a good time to start since we'll be busy all weekend with that wedding. We watched the end of "The Scholar" last night. Its pretty crazy. Since I am (well I guess was) in youth ministry I have pretty strong feelings about the pressure we put on kids. I don't know how I feel about that show yet, but is entertaining anyway.

Lisa, I think it was Vickie that was looking for the grill. If I had $53.86 I would get one too!
    We had a Hamilton Beach grill which was MUCH less expensive but I really liked it, got it at Wal-Mart. It had the removable plates and such and was only about $30. That was about 3 years ago probably. I wore mine out though so I need a new one too.

I'm at work so I better scram. Talk to you girls later!
  • It was me looking for the GF Grill, Lisa! Thanks, I saw it too. I didn't buy it because there is a bigger one that I'd rather have for making HUGE batches of cornmeal chicken. And, what's a bun warmer used for, anyway!

Melissa, when is that goofy old boss just going to learn to leave you alone and let you do your job? I only checked in periodically with my good performers. Lord only knows, I had my hands busy poking the ones that were lazy or not too smart (or who thought they were smarter than me!). It's too bad too because now you're looking for another job and she probably doesn't realize that her behavior is going to cost her a great performer. Too bad there isn't some way for you to communicate this to her. I think I'd love to be a Mediator. I went to many classes for it and liked it. Of course, I want everyone to communicate and mediate their problems. Since I can't help mediate yours...I'll say a little prayer instead that she gets smart before you leave! I hope the exercise helped your stress level. As for the 180's....you'll get there. Just do what I do. Put your head down and keep going for little 5 pound increments. That's why I love my Chick so much. All I do is keep trying to change my chick....change the chick....change the chick. And, eventually, all those 5 pound chicks will add up to something magnificent....and it'll be me!

Frouf, my Leader used to call them "virgin" pounds if you hadn't lost and gained them back in the same WW registration. She thought it didn't count if you'd already lost them before at some point in life! The cola chicken actually turned out better this time. I think it got thicker because I finally took the cover off and let the sauce bubble for a while. Jim was thrilled. It's one of his favorites. He misses barbeque so I try to make it periodically for him. I'm not such a big barbeque girl. Uncontrollable sleep is usually one of the ways I know that my TOM is coming. When I start falling asleep on the couch for hours and can't wake myself up...look out TOM is coming! Plus, you are always underslept anyway! I'm glad you slept but sorry you are feeling so emotional. I could cry at the drop of a hat anyway so pre-TOM time can sometimes be a real rollercoaster. Hope you're feeling better today.

Kathy, I know this will be a REALLY hard day for you. I wish there was something I could do to ease your pain. All I can do is to wish for you beautiful memories of the days you spent together. Your brother sounds like a very special man. Maybe you can spend some time with him. I'm sure he's in pain as well.

Well, I'm not crazy busy today but I do have to call my Foot Dr. later. I'm going to see if she can fit me in for an appointment in the next couple of days. I want her to xray my ankle/foot to make sure nothing is broken. I'm having nerve pain and I'm not sure what to do for it. I REALLY need to stay on the treadmill. The cat has a bath appointment today and the dog has a Vet appointment tonight for her ears. So it's animal day in our household today! The dog's appointment is at 5:00 so I have no idea what we are going to do for dinner. I guess I better go figure that out.
  • Good morning everyone! First day of summer vacation here, and we're all geared up and ready to go. I made a job chart thing for me and the kids. We have separate squares of paper labeled with each job we have to do each morning. I had the kids draw pictures on their squares, and then laminated it all. They are on the chart with velcro, and when you finish the job, you move it over to the Done side. When everyone's jobs are all on the Done side, then we get to go do whatever's posted in the Fun square. Today it's the Splash Pad (thing at the park with various sprayers - you get the picture). Anyway, I think it'll help get a routine going, and hopefully foster some cooperation as we all work to get our jobs done.

Speaking of TOM (I think it was Froufie), mine is gearing up to start. 21 days!!! What's up with that??! I swear, pretty soon I'm going to be having TOM ALL the time.

Well, better get on with my jobs so the kids don't get done way before me.

Angela
  • Angela, what a great idea! You are so clever. It's going to be really hot here again today. My neighbors were swimming in their pool and I was jealous because they have a heater and we don't. Jim checked the temperature of our pool and said it is still 52 degrees. That can't be right! I guess I'll have to buy a new thermometer. Harumpf!

Sandra, thanks for posting your recipes! I'm off to look at them now.