Does nursing always require the same # of calories?

• Hi all, I am new here and have a question. I am still nursing my 1 1/2 year old. We're on the way to weaning and at the moment we've only got about 2-3 feedings in an average day. I know that when a woman is nursing exclusively, she burns about 500-600 calories a day making milk. I don't know if that's the case with an older nursling or not. I'm eating about 1500 calories a day at the moment and losing weight doing it . I've noticed my supply has gone down a little and I'm wondering if my weight loss/calorie intake is the cause, or if it's just his losing interest in nursing.
  • Probably it's your baby cutting down on nursing. I haven't hit 18 months without being pregnant yet, so I can't swear to it. Milk, as I'm sure you know, is a supply-and-demand issue, & if you're down to only a couple of feedings a day, unless they're incredibly long marathon feedings, I wouldn't expect to have a "full" supply still. How it affects your calories, I honestly don't know.
  • Thanks. I knew my supply had gone down anyway, it just seems to have dropped more lately. But, he *is* working on weaning. That makes a big difference, of course.

I mostly just wonder about the calories. I'm not really counting on that as a source of burning calories, but I was curious. Thanks
  • According to SELF magazine, after your child is one, your dietary needs are the same as if you were NOT nursing. I'm assuming you still burn some calories, but since you are not nursing as often as say a six month old, they just aren't counted. I'm sure you burn a whole lot more calories chasing after a toddler!

I just read that on their website, so just thought I would pass it on.

Meredith
  • Thanks, Meredith. That would definitely make sense. I definitely burn a lot more running after him and his sister than I ever have making breastmilk. These two keep me on my toes!